How was the game?

How did you find the game?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find the game?

• Great, well developped story.
    • That was cool but nothing more to say.
    • I didn't like the story but I liked fights.
    • That was cr*p.

It's great that could have been greatest if it was finished.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

it was good game up until malachor V, than it was all downhill from there.

That's what I thought too. I haven't changed from my previous post though. I still think the story was stupid (well to be fair, not my cup of tea anyway). After I managed to shut myself out of the story and just played it like a "run through" it was alright but even I noticed a big drop when Malachor came around and I had thought I had seen the worst of it.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

If there is anything I would say, it is this: Most of the characters were restricted to a PC being either as Male/Female, although many of the characters could be LS/DS if PC was either LS/DS, except Kreia and maybe G0TO. I would have liked to have all the characters available in every game (although influence was needed for party characters to move to LS/DS) like in K1.

The only characters that I can play through with in every game in K2 are mainly Atton and Visas as these two are with your PC towards the end (Atton on Telos and Visas on Ravager, except Malachor). Besides, Bao-Dur's dialogue was merely holographic concerning the mass shadow generator.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

47 votes is already a good score. But it would be better if there were a little more. Poll please. :">

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My main issue with the K2 is lame and trivial dialogs, lame and trivial NPCs and inconsistent story. K2 recompenses that with more interesting planet quests but generally Metadigital is totally right:

Metadigital  May 31 2005, 03:26 AM

The story of K2 was not thought out and had no foundation in any philosophy. It was just a bunch of cut scenes with talking heads speaking more gibberish than an early Star Trek TOS episode, spun together with meaningless fights and pointless dialogue trees.

The characters, specifically Kreia, Atris and the Jedi Masters all contradicted themselves in their dialiogues: some even in the same monologue, in adjacent sentences! It was like trying to understand a six-year-old's theory on the creation of icecream. Very poor.

No restoration project will fix that. The core of the game is screwed. Mr Avellone it is clear that you don't get the atmosphere of Star Wars, I hope that you will never again touch ANY Star Wars project ;)

Edited by Nur Ab Sal

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

QUOTE:

The story of K2 was not thought out and had no foundation in any philosophy. It was just a bunch of cut scenes with talking heads speaking more gibberish than an early Star Trek TOS episode, spun together with meaningless fights and pointless dialogue trees.

The characters, specifically Kreia, Atris and the Jedi Masters all contradicted themselves in their dialiogues: some even in the same monologue, in adjacent sentences! It was like trying to understand a six-year-old's theory on the creation of icecream. Very poor.

--------------------------------

I think the idea with

Kreia in particular

is that she was mad....kind of like the antagonist in the story "The Most Dangerous Game".....very intelligent and cunning, but, ultimately, a looney tune.

K2 is a filler story to set up K3....K2 has us running around fighting a very intelligent looney tune...

my take: as filler stories go, it wasn't bad

Edited by Plano Skywalker

K2 can't be a filler, as there were no initial plans to continue K1 as a series from Bioware and Obs got signed for only one game, so I doubt anything final is planned. They make it up as they go on.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

K2 can't be a filler, as there were no initial plans to continue K1 as a series from Bioware and Obs got signed for only one game, so I doubt anything final is planned. They make it up as they go on.

Actually, that is one thing I have been wondering about: was this, in fact, meant to be a trilogy?

I don't know and I don't think anyone who is in the know would tell us one way or the other. We know that K1 was largely a BioWare story. Revan was a BioWare creation.

BioWare did not want to do K2 so they recommened Obsidian. LA was planning to do K3 in-house. Now, here is the thing: I agree that K1 left no room for a proper sequel but LA was being bombarded with inquiries about Revan so they decided to "open it back up".

OK, at this point, it becomes a "trilogy". I believe that, while K2 was still mostly an Obsidian story, they were working hand-in-hand with LA so that when LA did the in-house K3, they would be wrapping up a trilogy. Obsidian's daunting task was to open something up that really could not be opened up and still provide a bit of resolution while still leaving the main story arch dangling. They more or less pulled it off.

Edited by Plano Skywalker

This still doesn't explain the gibberish dialogs, overuse of term "echo" and generally stupid story. TESB was also a filler but it was very good and consistent

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

This still doesn't explain the gibberish dialogs, overuse of term "echo" and generally stupid story. TESB was also a filler but it was very good and consistent

Well, I admit, the idea of fighting an anamoly is not traditional SW fare but it is where K3 must take us to wrap this thing up.

Given where we are now, I don't want anyone but Obsidian to try to resolve this.

I really don't hope Obsidian makes K3, main reason being Lucas. I don't wish the suits to be anyones issue.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Well, I admit, the idea of fighting an anamoly is not traditional SW fare but it is where K3 must take us to wrap this thing up.

Given where we are now, I don't want anyone but Obsidian to try to resolve this.

Seeing how Avellone & Co screwed potentially interesting story I pray that they stay away from K3. Obsidian will not resolve anything, they will only add more nonsense to the EU.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Seeing how Avellone & Co screwed potentially interesting story I pray that they stay away from K3. Obsidian will not resolve anything, they will only add more nonsense to the EU.

Do you even like the KOTOR series? Here you are ripping apart K2, yet I've seen you say you liked it better than K1, which would imply you thought K1 was even worse. :)

I don't mean offense in this, but storyline critique coming from a guy who loves the Tales of the Jedi comic books is kind of.....questionable. So I have to wonder exactly what kind of story you were looking for in either game considering your affinity for TotJ. :-"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Nurbs wants to "weild teh POWAH!!!11"

kirottu said:

To make it clear:

KOTOR has naive and simple story but this story is complete without loopholes and

unexplained blurb. As much as I disliked K1 story, it's still better than TSL mainly becouse devs had time to put things together. One year ago I hoped that Obsidian will surprise us with something better but I was wrong

TSL on the other hand has great planet quests and plots that are more engaging than K1 planets (that were dull starmap run) but fails completely in terms of general story that has loopholes and absurds. Interesting characters like Atris or Nihilus has strange roles and entire gameplay is overshadowed by inflated imbecile

known as Kreia that torments the player with her "philosophical" discussions. Read once again Metadigital's splendid resume if you don't understand what K2 story is.

I won't discuss your TOTJ comment cause that's obvious flamebait.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

To be totally honest, TOTJ is like superhero comics when it comes to storytelling, so who am I to complain? :">

kirottu said:

@Nurbs

I often wonder whether the Kreia character would have played such a prominent role had Obsidian had the kind of time they wanted. Kreia is, more than anything else, a shortcut storytelling device that helps you follow the bouncing ball (even more than K1).

The idea that you

could not shed this nag to save your life

was bad, I admit, even though she is a very well-written character.

There needs to be alternate methods of story insertion, IMO....we've seen enough Force Bonds.....we need to see more ship-to-ship transmissions, holograms, Force Ghost visitations, etc.

Trust me, you wouldn't have minded the mumbo jumbo if you were able to turn it off whenever you wanted.

The amount of time OE spent on Kreia could have been invested in further developing the story background of the other characters in the party of the PC in K2, rather than having Kreia constantly doing so much of the dialogue between her and the PC. And having about three villains in the game only further diluted the story as not one of them was made distinct from the rest.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

What's wrong K1's simple story?

I found the game entertaining, easy to follow, yet they also put many unique elements, not just the Revan twist to make the story memorable.

I'm consistant with my view - like K1 way more than K2, and like I said before K2 story is not my preferred style...by far.

It was a bit like Half-Life 2 for me (which I played after K2). You have a good game here but it just warps the whole story and stuff established in the first game. I know K2 was designed to be as independent of K1 but still it really changed the whole KotOR feel for me.

Anyway, story and completeness (ending and story-wise ending, satisfied/fulfilled gamer when I finish) were the main let downs for me.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

There was nothing unique in K1's story, neither was it surprising or touching or any of the other merits usually granted by the fans. First SW rpg, and the best SW game since X-Wing Alliance, but when it comes to roleplaying games and their stories and plots; K1 was mediocre. Decent enought to keep me interested, but nothing to remember fondly.

Same goes for characters; they felt like a rehashes of previous Bio-persnas, it was the setting that gave them the "new". Granted, some quirks were clever and I laughed once with Jolee's grumpiness, but depth was nonexistant. NPCs were still one of the game's stronger points. I got my money's worth.

kirottu said:

when it comes to roleplaying games and their stories and plots; K1 was mediocre.

A lot of the RPG's I hear about are all fantasy world based with monsters, magic and like Japanese Final Fantasy blah blah blah and stuff like that. Now I know Force Powers and "Native Planet Wildlife" are the same thing, but for some reason I can just accept it all more easily because it's presented in a Star Wars form - things like "The Magical Elixir of the Ancients" (made up, but you basically the whole fantasy world name stuff) just doesn't stick with me. <_<

Yep, I don't play RPG's much. KotOR was actually the first RPG I had played in ages...so yes, my standards are lower, and I guess I'm very picky about them too (like I said, fantasy doesn't work - even Lord of the Rings had a few moments of oh no, the Evil Monster of Blah Blah Blah).

sigpic0yb.jpg

Settings, meh. Knights is basically fantasy with space ships. Everything from ancient builders to swords and sorcery, etc is there. Space just gives it a bit of levity. And anyway, some of the best rpgs are not fantasy, like, heck Fallout. I doubt one could find a better example. See, the thing is that tastes rule above all. Especially when bad. Someone's hit can be someone shit. For example; I absolutely abhored FF 10's paradise-sci-fi-retro-grunge-trip, but it's still unique in every sense of the word. Let's take another example; Planescape: Torment's setting looks very fantasy-like at first sight. Then you notice angels and demons talking in the supermarket line about theology, news agents sell data sticks to Menzoberranzian durgars while Olympian gods sit and sip cafe latt

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said: