KotOR2 media patch discussion at Evil Avatar

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthrea...55&page=1&pp=10

I think Tony Evans posted it...

Thanks for the show of faith. I'm glad most people on Evil Avatar have a bit more perspective on the game industry than the aptly named "Poop Monkey" demonstrates.

I was one of the designers on KotOR2. I won't say anything bad about LucasArts, as they were kind enough to give Obsidian its first project.

I can speak personally of the dedication of everyone at Obsidian to delivering the best-possible game we could in the time allowed. One year was an insanely small amount of time to produce an RPG the same size and scope of the original KoTOR, which was in development for over 3 years. I think we pulled it off. This may provoke further arguments (to which I won't reply) but with respect to Bioware paving our way, I firmly believe KoTOR 2 turned out better than the original in almost every way.

Unfortunately, the demanding schedule for KoTOR 2 was not unprecedented. I used to work for New World Computing, where 3DO had us turn out the last two Might & Magic RPGs in 9 months.

All I can say is that if you continue to support Obsidian and other talented independent developers, it will ultimately help enable them to get better contracts from publishers where they can spend more time and resources to make great games.

So, head on over to the Bioware Forums express your support of Neverwinter Nights 2!

Guest MacleodCorp

As you may have noticed, the person only has a few posts in his score. I don't know if he is legit, but his posts are very defensive/protective over KotOR II.

(His posting list.)

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/search.php?searchid=94424

Could you elaborate? I've seen a lot of feedback about KotOR2, most of it very positive, some of it negative... but I have never seen anyone call it a "piece of sh#@."

Gamespot, for example) seems to think KotOR2 is just a little bit better than Jade Empire (8.5 for KotOR2 vs. 8.4 for JE). And Jade Empire didn't have to contend with a pitifully low score in the graphics category. The Gamespot community rating is also higher for KotOR2 than it is for Jade Empire. I haven't played Jade Empire yet, but I'd be curious to learn how people think it stacks up vs. KotOR2.

I don't know if he is reading the ObsidianEnt boards, for we have a mixed crowd here. Some people like the game, and some do not like the game. I for one don't know the ratio, but it would be intresting to see some numbers or statistics.

Yes, let's blame the developer, Obsidian, for something that the publisher, Lucasarts, is completely responsible for.

This line is intresting, for now we are using the blame game. For a person who is representing Obsidian, I would think they would use a more conservative aproach. Therefore, I can only come to one question, "Does he or she really work for Obsidian, or are they a defensive fan of KotOR II?" If they were Obsidian, I think they would not have approached the post in this manner.

Edited by MacleodCorp

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=150181&page=3

I think MacleodCorp's attitude about Obsidian is not favorable

Originally Posted by IndianaSolo

Originally Posted by MacLeodCorp

Come to think about it BioWare made 80% of the game, so Obsidian had very little to do...

Do you have something against Obsidian? I'm new here but it seems every thread you post in you make comments like that.

His post(s) has to be literally one of the dumbest I've seen on any forum.

By that estimation, Troika didn't make Bloodlines, Valve did.

All those Infinity Engine games? Then I suppose using his logic the only one that was actually difficult to make was the first one. The rest of them were basically 80% complete and just needed finishing touches.

Ignorance at its best.

Edited by funcroc

My main issue with the K2 is lame and trivial dialogs, lame and trivial NPCs and inconsistent story. K2 recompenses that with more interesting planet quests but generally Metadigital is totally right:

Metadigital  May 31 2005, 03:26 AM

The story of K2 was not thought out and had no foundation in any philosophy. It was just a bunch of cut scenes with talking heads speaking more gibberish than an early Star Trek TOS episode, spun together with meaningless fights and pointless dialogue trees.

The characters, specifically Kreia, Atris and the Jedi Masters all contradicted themselves in their dialiogues: some even in the same monologue, in adjacent sentences! It was like trying to understand a six-year-old's theory on the creation of icecream. Very poor.

No restoration project will fix that. The core of the game is screwed. Mr Avellone it is clear that you don't get the atmosphere of Star Wars, I hope that you will never again touch ANY Star Wars project :wub:

Edited by Nur Ab Sal

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Guest MacleodCorp
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=150181&page=3

I think MacleodCorp's attitude about Obsidian is not favorable

Originally Posted by IndianaSolo

Originally Posted by MacLeodCorp

Come to think about it BioWare made 80% of the game, so Obsidian had very little to do...

Do you have something against Obsidian? I'm new here but it seems every thread you post in you make comments like that.

His post(s) has to be literally one of the dumbest I've seen on any forum.

By that estimation, Troika didn't make Bloodlines, Valve did.

All those Infinity Engine games? Then I suppose using his logic the only one that was actually difficult to make was the first one. The rest of them were basically 80% complete and just needed finishing touches.

Ignorance at its best.

Taken out of context... I love it. I usually look at all the facts, so I do have to question the poster's agenda. Attacking me doesn't bring resolve over if your evidence is based upon someone who works for Obsidian or not.

And you people wonder why the devs don't post here?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds