Oblivion megamovie

SubBassman

Why not download it? Technically, it's been released, considering it was shown at E3 this year.

And Jags..........I love your avatar :huh:

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I thought the combat looks very uninteresting, especially in first person.

The stealth was kinda neat tho

What were you expecting? A personal theme song and a cheerleading section? =]

Uhhhh, more than mindless combat?

EDIT: Tho "hoping" is the better word. I knew better.

All non-turn based combat is "reactiony" and "mindless"

You know better. :huh:

Guest Fishboot

I thought the combat looked pretty mediocre, too. If you're going to have a collision-only hit system and manual blocking you should probably go ahead and have disarms, trips, grapples, knockdown/knockback, etc. That fight at the end where the character blocks until the demon attacks, hits it, blocks again, hits it, and so on seemed especially banal. Obviously balance would go a long way, though, and the video seems to be recorded in invulnerable mode, so who knows.

All non-turn based combat is "reactiony" and "mindless"

You know better. 

Yea, but they were talking about dodging attacks (not just with sheilds) and varied attacks. I guess the attacks just vary in speed and strength...but I saw no dodging (I suppose you can dodge by moving). I mean if your giving me RT combat, make it interesting.

Dunno, just wondering to myself how the melee combat improves apon, say, Diablo. Besides the fact you have to click a button to use a shield.

Edited by kumquatq3

Question: Is this "Everything" there is to the combat system? Or was this just a demonstration of various aspects of the game?

There could be other things we don't know about.

For the record though, I think you all are looking more for a "mortal kombat" style game :thumbsup:

I love how people who say "Ps:T is teh best gamez0rz evah!!" complain about the combat in every other game.. You really shouldn't.

I, for one, think the combat looks pretty interesting. Especially considering that it seems to be possible to play a real rogue/assassin in Oblivion, with the stealth tactics and bows. Who can resist a game where you can shoot an arrow into an enemy's head undetected?!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest Fishboot
For the record though, I think you all are looking more for a "mortal kombat" style game :thumbsup:

Maybe, but the core melee combat we've seen looks pretty much like Gothic in first person - you block, you hit. The obvious upcoming game with another level of melee combat design is Dark Messiah, which looks significantly deeper with parries, grappling moves, etc. Now of course it's apparently in an overtly generic fantasy setting and probably has many other deficiencies compared to Oblivion, but the design is certainly out there. I guess I'm being hard on Oblivion, but because I have and have had high hopes for it since Morrowind and because it's such a clear high-yield production value bomb I just can't cut it any slack.

I love how people who say "Ps:T is teh best gamez0rz evah!!" complain about the combat in every other game.. You really shouldn't.

I, for one, think the combat looks pretty interesting. Especially considering that it seems to be possible to play a real rogue/assassin in Oblivion, with the stealth tactics and bows. Who can resist a game where you can shoot an arrow into an enemy's head undetected?!

I think the combat could be pretty cool.

I think it looks "bland" because they were obviously in "god mode" so they could just play whack-a-mole with the enemy.

Take away the "god mode" and I bet they'd be using a lot more creativity.

I think people are overlooking that fact.

"I love how people who say 'Ps:T is teh best gamez0rz evah!!' complain about the combat in every other game.. You really shouldn't."

And why not? It is not as if you can't think PS:T is the best game ever and recognize that the combat in it sucked a whole lot at the same time, is it?

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

This game is money. Definitely the most technologically progressive game I've seen out of the RPG genre in a long time, and with today's games essentially determined by the degree to which they can demonstrate next generation technology, Oblivion's shaping up very well.

Course, that does mean that those who would rather see innovations elsewhere, such as in gameplay or character interaction, would be disappointed. But hell, that forest is an awesome work of real-time procedural graphics, and having researched that topic myself in academia, I can tell you that what they did is quite impressive.

Tech showcase? Sure. Genre-defining tech showcase? Very probable.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Guest Fishboot
Course, that does mean that those who would rather see innovations elsewhere, such as in gameplay or character interaction, would be disappointed.  But hell, that forest is an awesome work of real-time procedural graphics, and having researched that topic myself in academia, I can tell you that what they did is quite impressive.

Those are not realtime.

The combat was short and uninteresting because the PC was uber. Also, there are combat perks to all the weapons (once you get the blade skill to a certain number you can get a chance for disarm or knockdown, bow gets a zoom, stuff like that).

There's probably going to be alot more since the whole demo seemed stripped of everything BUT what they wanted to show in it's linear path (for instance, the only two dialogue topics were the ones he was talking about/wanted to talk about and had planned to use, the actual "dialogue trees" only had one question that he planned on asking). I'm sure in the real game it will have a couple dialogue choices for quest NPCs and have fodder NPCs just be topics. The AI was pushed in a certain direction because he was playing it live, if something that happened that he wasn't expecting, his whole speech about features would have probably been messed up.

The whole dog thing was just a joke to get the E3 audience to laugh, something that I've noticed alot of people don't get (in most topics I've read about the video I always hear "omg, the AI sux, people are going to be burning dogs and ****!").

Edited by Plin

The combat didn't seem very fun to me... It looked like somthing you would find as a button masher rather than an RPG. Magic I have never understood in those games. But they did add the ability to change places without spending money.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

After watching the video twice, I'm going to get it if the reviews, and you guys, praise it. Although the thiefing looked so fun that I'm tempted to pick it up right away.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The combat was short and uninteresting because the PC was uber. Also, there are combat perks to all the weapons (once you get the blade skill to a certain number you can get a chance for disarm or knockdown, bow gets a zoom, stuff like that).

There's probably going to be alot more since the whole demo seemed stripped of everything BUT what they wanted to show in it's linear path (for instance, the only two dialogue topics were the ones he was talking about/wanted to talk about and had planned to use, the actual "dialogue trees" only had one question that he planned on asking). I'm sure in the real game it will have a couple dialogue choices for quest NPCs and have fodder NPCs just be topics. The AI was pushed in a certain direction because he was playing it live, if something that happened that he wasn't expecting, his whole speech about features would have probably been messed up.

The whole dog thing was just a joke to get the E3 audience to laugh, something that I've noticed alot of people don't get (in most topics I've read about the video I always hear "omg, the AI sux, people are going to be burning dogs and ****!").

Big point of MW too. The PC was Uber way too fast, and the same low-level monsters kept coming up. So if it was just done by cheats has to be seen.

And knowdown/disarm and zoom, well, that's going to make it even easier (and boring)? How much damage can an enemy do when his Daedra Uber-Sword is not even in his hands? You can stop blocking/strafing right away and keep hacking (as in MW)

For the dialogue; as I said: Hopefully, but I fear the worst here. Since we have voices they can't just give 2000 NPC's the same "Last Rumor" without having a lot of lines recorded and taking up space...

But just the convo options needed, as seen in this movie, isn't going to help the "Freedom" feeling the ES-Series should have at all...

The dog thing: If it is a joke, then it would be pre-scripted = Bad Sign for the actual ingame AI. As said before "Fargoth's Quest" made for the movie anyone?

If it is NOT scripted then it is bad too, I don't wan't to loose NPC's just because another find he/she should kill him/her. That option should be only available to me; the PC...

The combat didn't seem very fun to me... It looked like somthing you would find as a button masher rather than an RPG. Magic I have never understood in those games. But they did add the ability to change places without spending money.

Which could also be a bad thing. Alot of Morrowinds lenght came of huge walking parts, if you can skip it instantly from any position free now, gameplay time may shorten by alot.

Plus would be FedEx jobs get less annoying; but now when they make those less annoying they remove most out of the game <_<

Edited by Battlewookiee

The dog thing: If it is a joke, then it would be pre-scripted = Bad Sign for the actual ingame AI. As said before "Fargoth's Quest" made for the movie anyone?

If it is NOT scripted then it is bad too, I don't wan't to loose NPC's just because another find he/she should kill him/her. That option should be only available to me; the PC...

Actually, that's one of the things I am rather hoping the AI is capable of! Imagine walking down the street in just your underwear (or less) and someone taking offense to that, resulting in a street fight! Or wearing too much jewelry in a bad part of town and getting people trying to rob you, without scripting. Or wearing too shabby clothes going into a store and being denied service because you look too poor. And, I mean, if my dog decided to pee on someone's leg, I'd be pretty surprised if the victim didn't set the critter on fire.

Basically I thought setting the dog on fire was one of the best things about the video. As long as the AI isn't doing things randomly, but with a purpose (that's understandable for the player), then I'm all for it, no matter the consequences.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I just want to rob stuff.

I'm easy to please like that. :-

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest Fishboot
And knowdown/disarm and zoom, well, that's going to make it even easier (and boring)? How much damage can an enemy do when his Daedra Uber-Sword is not even in his hands? You can stop blocking/strafing right away and keep hacking (as in MW)

Advanced combat design would have to be available symmetrically to both the NPCs and the player, obviously. What could say, "You need to come back here later." better than an NPC warrior that slaps your sword from your hand, knocks you on your butt and gives you a sharp whack for 90% of your life before demanding you yield? Implementation keeps those things out of the game, not design incompatibility.

Actually, that's one of the things I am rather hoping the AI is capable of! Imagine walking down the street in just your underwear (or less) and someone taking offense to that, resulting in a street fight! Or wearing too much jewelry in a bad part of town and getting people trying to rob you, without scripting. Or wearing too shabby clothes going into a store and being denied service because you look too poor. And, I mean, if my dog decided to pee on someone's leg, I'd be pretty surprised if the victim didn't set the critter on fire.

Basically I thought setting the dog on fire was one of the best things about the video. As long as the AI isn't doing things randomly, but with a purpose (that's understandable for the player), then I'm all for it, no matter the consequences.

Those 3 are good suggestions, yes. If the "fight on the street" is non-lethal, and the other just gets back up later pissed on your character...

But NPC's killing off other NPC's just isn't good (except for some scripted missions. Not 2 random people trying to kill each other...)

Advanced combat design would have to be available symmetrically to both the NPCs and the player, obviously. What could say, "You need to come back here later." better than an NPC warrior that slaps your sword from your hand, knocks you on your butt and gives you a sharp whack for 90% of your life before demanding you yield? Implementation keeps those things out of the game, not design incompatibility.

Knocking down swords from the player can be tough to implent. Let's look at the possibilities:

Get's kicked in inventory

Then you'll just re-equip it

Get's placed on the ground

See above, just picking the weapon back up before that

*Hide the weapon* untill after the fight is over...

How do you determine when that would be? Does fleeing also give it back? If so (if not REALLY bad way) how far do you have to run?

Does during this *hide* the weapons weight be taken into calculation? Or not?

Alot of bug testing would be needed to prevent added/reduced weight (very nice bug in MW) or Weapon *dissapearances*

*Throw* the weapon far away

This way it would be lost for the Player if he flees; what the goal is in your example.

If it is a quest-specific weapon, can it mess up the storyline?

If so do "story-line weapons" be un-knockoutable"? If so, how to prevent players from using Quest-specific weapons for these kind of fights?

As you can see, it is not "that" easy...

And design certainly has to be taken into consideration...

Guest Fishboot

This exchange might be slightly embarassing for us both, because disarming actually appears to be implemented in Oblivion.

Todd Howard@IGN

It does retain that balance. It's part action, part stats. There's simply more things you can do. So your skills determine what combat moves you can do. As you level-up you unlock special moves that do more damage, can disarm your opponent, add more knockback to your strikes, and more. Whether you actually hit with this move is entirely action-based. You have to swing the sword and make contact. Your stats then determine how much damage is done. So your strength and weapon skill together do that, and then it gets modified by your opponent's armor skills and the actual armor you hit.

So I'm a goofus.

I may actually bite through the Oblivion packaging to get the DVD rather than waste time with a knife after I buy it.