Oblivion megamovie

SubBassman

Guest Fishboot

Most of the it wasn't much of a surprise, since the audio of the movie has been out for a while and we've seen screenshots. I had a few "Yuck" moments, like the part where nearby points of interest show up on the compass, not just quests (because it robs you of that moment of cresting a hill and seeing a ruin or similar) or when we see that the inventory and character screens have been egregiously console-ized, complete with tabs and monstro-text sizing. The NPC interface looks weaker than we might have imagined as well - the basic functionality of the Wiki-style NPCs remains from Morrowind (wherein your end of the conversation is abstracted), except that it has been pared down to accomodate voice. The action was impressive, and the stealth part looked fun, although the short human vs. human swordfight they featured was very underwhelming compared to how it was described (re: two guys in heavy armor battering each other - except it seemed pretty average).

Graphically it was a beautiful next-gen game. The forests looked amazing, and I think the forest work Beth did will be Oblivion's graphical legacy. A lot depends on how varied the environments are - if there are only 3-4 dungeon visual themes (as in Morrowind) I'll be piqued. The NPC faces had a bit of that "wrongness" that I thought HL2 and Bloodlines had put behind us, but apparently not.

The bit with the bookseller showing off AI had "Fargoth's Quest" written all over it (a heavily scripted [or scripted by another name] interaction that exists to be demo'd and does not examplar the vast majority of play).

There's no question that I'll get it - that decision was made when I was playing Morrowind - but I'm much more prepared to be underwhelmed now.

The NPC interface looks weaker than we might have imagined as well - the basic functionality of the Wiki-style NPCs remains from Morrowind (wherein your end of the conversation is abstracted), except that it has been pared down to accomodate voice.

Well, there goes any reason to even remotely consider touching this game.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Me too.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Maybe some other time then.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think the gfx are very nice, the forests in particular.

The conversation reminds me of Times of Lore.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~parsonsp/html/times_of_lore.html

It's a c64 game from 1988. ToL was an excellent game of its time anyway.

Oblivion's conversation system could have been a little more complex. :)

Most of the it wasn't much of a surprise, since the audio of the movie has been out for a while and we've seen screenshots. I had a few "Yuck" moments, like the part where nearby points of interest show up on the compass, not just quests (because it robs you of that moment of cresting a hill and seeing a ruin or similar) or when we see that the inventory and character screens have been egregiously console-ized, complete with tabs and monstro-text sizing. The NPC interface looks weaker than we might have imagined as well - the basic functionality of the Wiki-style NPCs remains from Morrowind (wherein your end of the conversation is abstracted), except that it has been pared down to accomodate voice. The action was impressive, and the stealth part looked fun, although the short human vs. human swordfight they featured was very underwhelming compared to how it was described (re: two guys in heavy armor battering each other - except it seemed pretty average).

Graphically it was a beautiful next-gen game. The forests looked amazing, and I think the forest work Beth did will be Oblivion's graphical legacy. A lot depends on how varied the environments are - if there are only 3-4 dungeon visual themes (as in Morrowind) I'll be piqued.  The NPC faces had a bit of that "wrongness" that I thought HL2 and Bloodlines had put behind us, but apparently not.

The bit with the bookseller showing off AI had "Fargoth's Quest" written all over it (a heavily scripted [or scripted by another name] interaction that exists to be demo'd and does not examplar the vast majority of play).

There's no question that I'll get it - that decision was made when I was playing Morrowind - but I'm much more prepared to be underwhelmed now.

Since Baleys link worked:

I agree about the new Inventory screen. Looks weaker than Morrowind's one, but maybe it's only for the X-Box version?

As you'll notice the "teller" tells about how you move the *stick* to make various attacks; so it seems like a X-Box movie...

About the new "Talk-system". I hope it is just because they talked to quest-specific NPC's, because there were damn few options to choose from. I do hope the "Latest Rumor/News/Secret" is still there, and hopefully with a bit more vareity (spel?) too.

Also the new Bribe/Admire system seems worse, especially if they keep the system that shows if a admire will work through face-movement before having the actual action...

And during the fights: Why did his Stamina/Health/Mana never reduced? Hopefully cheats/High lvl char against weak monsters, or it shall become easier than KOTOR2/Morrowind after lvl 6 or so... (and that was already easy)

jebus people  :)

"right click" and then 'save as' on the link

Oldest concept on the internet :p

I like

RIFF

Yeah, it looked very impressive, from all standpoints. Graphics, interaction (physics!), environment and characters, even dialogues. I would have no problems using the inventory/character screens either. Too bad it seems to have loading screens when you enter buildings, because that's a typical thing that often breaks my immersion in games.

I do like the stealth portions they showed in the video. It reminds me of the Thief games. Very nice.

The NPC's in the cities are very reminiscent of the ones in Gothic. They too had daily routines and often got together to chat and drink beer. That's a huge improvement over Morrowind. Let's just hope that the radiant AI really works.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Me want. Me want bad.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

This game looks impressive!

I tried playing Morrowind, but something about the game just turned me off. To me the conversations were boring, the combat tedious and exploration seemed more like a chore with me killing the same enemy over and over again with the same combat moves or spells.

Picking up and collecting various roots and spell components I guess were fun for some people, but to me it seemed like a job too.

The combat seems improved in Oblivion and the the fast travel is a godsend to me. Plus you can sneak around! The enemies seem to react appropriately when they get hit too. In that elven ruin the last spellcaster was hit with a sword swing which hurled him against a column then fell to the floor. Cool~