Civ 4

Foamhead

I have been reading about Civilization 4 on IGN today. Was I the only one who found the gratuitous use of the words "streamlined" and "simplified" the devs constantly use to describe the interfaces alarming? It sounds like this game has been seriously dumbed down. Does anyone else know anything about this game, and am I just reading to deeply?

Edited by Foamhead

Guest Fishboot

Civ could use some dumbing down, unless you like spreadsheeting your corruption management, managing build queues for half of your playtime and going through each city every turn to make sure unrest will not occur. The fun core of Civilization could be done with great parsimony.

Seeing as Sid is behind Civ4, I'm looking forward to it. Civ2 is one of my favourite games, Civ3 for me was a huge dissapointment.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

It would be alarming if those words were used in the development of any game but Civilization 4..

I would be horrified to read about it in a RPG preview. They used to use those words while developing Deus Ex: Invisible War too..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It would be alarming if those words were used in the development of any game but Civilization 4..

I would be horrified to read about it in a RPG preview. They used to use those words while developing Deus Ex: Invisible War too..

Agreed. Streamlining is one of the great words denoting evil. Like 'futanari', and 'vegetarian'.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Streamlining in strat games is always bad.

As evidence: I present MOO3  :ph34r:

wait... that was streamlining and simplifing? makes me wonder what complex would mean for Moo

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The interface is really the only thing that I'm not liking about Civ IV, but I won't even know what its really like until I play it. Getting rid of pollution and corruption is awesome. As is different leaders having different AI.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Everything you need to know about Civ 4 may be found here.

I think the streamlining mostly refers to:

1) Better worker automation. The AI workers in Civ 3 were so awful, you had no choice but to run them yourself. If this is improved, it will cut down on the tedium considerably.

2) Better advice for newbs. From what I've read, most decisions will come with suggestions from 2 advisors with different opinions.

3) More intuitive unit movement (left-click on unit, right-click on destination), and more ease of unit stacking & grouping.

4) More information on the main map screen, which means less clicking in and out of the city interface, the diplomatic interface, etc.

EDIT: 5) The game will also supposedly be easier to mod. I know jack about this kind of thing, but they boast about XML and Python support (?).

Edited by Enoch

I'm extremely exicted! I thought Civ3 played pretty much like 2, but with some improved aspects..

I'm worried about the 3d graphic though.. but that's just me being conservative!

Civ4 can be nothing but a great game!!

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm extremely exicted! I thought Civ3 played pretty much like 2, but with some improved aspects..

Yes. Some things look really good. I'll enjoy getting to grips with religion, though I will miss pollution and global warming.

I'm worried about the 3d graphic though.. but that's just me being conservative!

Not at all. The old Civ 3 graphics were very clear and effective at conveying as much information as possible. The new graphics will be very flashy no doubt, but will they be user-friendly? I hope they'll let you lock the camera into a Civ3-type angle, at least when I start playing.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Everything you need to know about Civ 4 may be found here

I think the streamlining mostly refers to:

1)  Better worker automation.  The AI workers in Civ 3 were so awful, you had no choice but to run them yourself.  If this is improved, it will cut down on the tedium considerably.

2)  Better advice for newbs.  From what I've read, most decisions will come with suggestions from 2 advisors with different opinions.

3)  More intuitive unit movement (left-click on unit, right-click on destination), and more ease of unit stacking & grouping.

4)  More information on the main map screen, which means less clicking in and out of the city interface, the diplomatic interface, etc.

EDIT:  5) The game will also supposedly be easier to mod.  I know jack about this kind of thing, but they boast about XML and Python support (?).

6) Units will no longer have separate offensive and defensive stats, instead they'll just have power.

(and this is the streamlining that has me the most worried, although it has been said that units can be customized through veterancy upgrades, although to what degree remains to be seen)

6) Units will no longer have separate offensive and defensive stats, instead they'll just have power.

(and this is the streamlining that has me the most worried, although it has been said that units can be customized through veterancy upgrades, although to what degree remains to be seen)

I'm not so worried about the combat balance. I think that'll be the most rigorously tested portion of the game; they won't put a game out where effective conquest or defense is too difficult. I understand the concern that armies will become 'monochromatic' as civs simply turn out their highest-power option over and over. Even so, I think that the division between melee units, mounted units, archery units, and artillery units should create considerable diversity.

And the different types of promotions add to that. From what I've read they'll be pretty common. For example, barracks + feudalism civic = 3 promotions at unit creation. These can be used to improve specific aspects of the unit's performance (e.g., city raider, city garrison, guerilla).

well. if 1 spearman = 1 power rating, and 1 tank = 10 power rating, and tank vs spearman power rating bonus to tanks is 5...

*shrug* i suppose if 20 spearmen did run at a tank from all directiosn, one would pull hollywood and sabotage it.

well. if 1 spearman = 1 power rating, and 1 tank = 10 power rating, and tank vs spearman power rating bonus to tanks is 5...

*shrug* i suppose if 20 spearmen did run at a tank from all directiosn, one would pull hollywood and sabotage it.

My spearmen also have explosive charges. :- That's why they kill tanks. :ph34r: