Iran threatens to cut oil if sanctioned

Kaftan Barlast

Read a rather interesting notice in the paper this morning, unfortunantly I was unable to find any other english source than Al-Jazeera.

Saturday 01 October 2005, 12:08 Makka Time, 9:08 GMT 

Iran could use oil as a weapon if the UN Security Council imposes sanctions over suspicions Tehran is seeking nuclear weapons, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been quoted as saying.

Iran might deny access to international nuclear inspectors if the Security Council is pressed by Washington and its allies to apply sanctions, Ahmadinejad told the English-language daily Khaleej Times for its Saturday edition.

"If Iran's case is sent to the Security Council, we will respond by many ways, for example by holding back on oil sales or limiting inspections of our nuclear facilities," Ahmadinejad said.

The Dubai-based newspaper said the Iranian president made his remarks in answer to a question on what his response would be if the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) turned Iran's case over to the Security Council, possibly leading to sanctions.

Full article

This may very well be the first real nail in the coffin of the regime in Iran, a country believed to be the next in line after Iraq.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Third world war looming in the horizon? Hmph.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

No-one's going to invade Iran. Will you calm down? There is simply no need to. The current regime are a little wibbly, but I think after they get the shouting out of their system we will be able to do business.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No-one's going to invade Iran. Will you calm down? There is simply no need to. The current regime are a little wibbly, but I think after they get the shouting out of their system we will be able to do business.

I dunno. From what I've heard, a nuclear program is just about the only thing every faction in Iran agrees on.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

There isn't going to be a war the US will be involved in for the near-mid future because they're already stretched as it is, both in terms of military personnel, budget and support.

Sure, it's going to be ****ty if Iran stop exporting oil to the west. Probably their sales to China and other countries might be able to support them for awhile.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

China is a economic super power just like the US with a far greater demand on oil. Iran is being smart about this. If the US wants oil then our government needs to lax off a bit about nuclear technology. If we don't Iran is perfectly within their rights to stop selling oil to us in favor of other countries who will allow them to do what they want.

People tend to forget that Iraq is a democracy, even with its deep theocratic roots. If the US and Bushie baby wants to promote democracy then he needs to deal with the consequences. He just cannot promote democracies in favor of the US.

Doesn't really matter. You can't really ever use nuclear missiles to meet a military objective other than 'kill a bunch of them before we're wiped out by the rest.' Unless Iran goes North Korea and starts selling them willy-nilly to all commers then we have little to worry about other than them demostrating their newfound power by rendering some of their land uninhabitable.

As for the oil? Good, we need to move on from dinosaur juice anyway. Let them keep their greese and we can push the limits of 'alternative' fuel technology until little Iran star whineing that is't their right to have that tech too.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

I think the current gradual upward pressure on oil is about right to get people to seriously plan for alternate energy sources. Too much pressure would cause an economic meltdown and perhaps panic which isn't too constructive.

Hades, you mean Iran, right. And, no, Iran is not a democracy. The elected officials do not have final control. The person(s) with real power in Iran were not elected.

At best its a very limited democracy, at worse their elections are just a cover up to pretend theya re a demcoracy when in relaity Iran is a dictatorship.

As for this 'cutting off oil' balony; the US would be able to survive just fine without Iran's oil. There are other Middle East and non Middle East nations more than willing to sell oil to the US. I say the US and friends should call Iran on its bluff. Remember, Iran doesn't sell oil to the US out of friendship. They've been enemies for decades. So, why have they been selling oil to the US? Money. Iran's economy needs money from oil, and not too many other countries use oil as much as the US does so they would be shooting the horse that feeds him. And, no, China isn't a good altenrative at the moment. Maybe in the future.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Atreides makes a good point. We can't just have a sudden switch.

And by doing business I meant not that we'd have it all our way. Hell, we may have to 'let' them get nukes. If they want to waste their money on nukes while they need infrastructure investment, education, healthcare etc, then the people of Iran may be moved still further to press for more democratic accountability in future. There is already some internal discontent with the sabre rattlers.

On the other hand, Iran may be under the impression that if they get nukes they can do what N Korea has done, and trade them in for massively profitable aid packages.

A little sympathy for Iran might not go amiss either. They could be forgiven for wondering about the wider implications of Sunni on Shia violence. Their state is sandwiched between two extremely hardline Sunni countries - Saudi and Pakistan - nukes might turn out to be necessary ten years from now.

Just a few thoughts.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Iranian government is very good at hiding their dirtyworks. Non-Muslims there are persecuted on a daily basis yet those stories receive little attention from the West.

The country is a major base for terrorism as well. I wouldn't be surprised if US declares war on that regime at some time since it's unlikely the Iranian government would change their policies any time soon.

Edited by julianw

Wow, I'm going to have to agree with Volourn.

Ted, you need to make an alternate account for when you post rationally or something, it makes me feel funny agreeing with you when you decide to post intelligently.

Also, I'm all for Hemp Oil as a natural alternative to gasoline, but it's apparently illegal to grow hemp in mosts states, even of the non THC bearing variety.

Damn you Hearst!

Edited by Child of Flame

"Ted, you need to make an alternate account for when you post rationally sor something, it makes me feel funny agreeing with you when you decide to post intelligently."

Shut up, troll.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

^When push comes to shove, that's what Israel might do like they did against Iraq. Not with their own nukes mind you, just blowing up the suspected nuke site.

Anyway for the China thing - China wouldn't pass up the chance to mass oil reserves at prices below the price that others would have to pay. Let's put it this way - say the US (the single largest consumer) and say some Euro countries will have to get oil from other countries. That's going to drive the price up for them and the suppliers won't pass that up. China and whoever can get a relatively lower price from Iran (why should they buy from Iran if not for a lower price - they could get it elsewhere) and possibly because they're politically rewarding China for staying out etc.

I'd like to take this opportunity to highlight our racist attitude towards trolls on this forum. What if a real troll were to log on, thinking "Yeah we're always painted as the bad guys in Obsidian software, but I'm sure the fans understand its only storytelling".

The troll would be in tears, I tell ya.

-Elwood Blues

Hades, you mean Iran, right. And, no, Iran is not a democracy.  The elected officials do not have  final control. The person(s) with real power in Iran were not elected.

They are just as a democracy as the US.

Tell me... have you ever left your home town? I like Iran. I even think they're going to be pretty hip in ten years time. But they ain't a democracy. Even if you believe the Bush shenanigans America still has an edge, mate.

-Elwood Blues

Oh, come on now. Everyone knows it is the lobbyists and the special interest groups like the Moral Majoirty and the such that are trully in control of the US. Hell, we can't even directly vote for the president if the United States.

The US is a republic controlled by the rich, the lobbyists, and corporations. Not by the average joe person.