JEBUS... HQ Media patch thingy on front page!!

Yeah, bother Darth Gallo. I bet he's more then delighted to answer all your inquiries. :p

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest MacLeodCorp

@ The Content Patch Idea

I don't think ObsidianEnt. or LucasArts could satisfy all visitors. If you look at this post in general, a few people are not even satisfied with: Patch 1.0b and a Music and Video Patch... This could turn into an endless cycle. If a new patch does come out, people will find a problem with that one... And so on... And so on... I am actually satisfied with both patches. Even though not many people saw changes in movie quality, I did see several changes in movie clearity.

Just my opinion!

Edited by MacLeodCorp

For me, the movies look a bit better, no dramatical changes. I'm using ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb PCI-E with Catalyst 5.9 and Samsung Syncmaster 710T. I'm using 1280x1024 resolution cuz it's 17" LCD-displays native. During movies if I check from displays OSD which resolution is it using it says 640x480 so the movie's pretty blurry becouse of scaling. Better then before the patch thougt, how come some people say that they have even 1600x1200 res movies? Then shouldn't I have 1280x1024?

So why weren't all of the movies converted?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ok ... so if the movies are on my hard drive (before the HQ patch) ... then why did my cd-drive get so noisy when ever movie was played? What was the game reading from my cd during the movie scenes?

Hades_One is right. Look inside the CD in the Windows Explorer, you won't find any revelevant directory only a big .cab containing a part of the game and all the stuff related to the installer, the starter and so on.

To whomever was responsible for the HD patches, thank you.

I'm running 1600 x 1200 and i notices a huge differance!

Though i thought the game resoloution would be a moo point, because the game changes resoloution when it plays the movies anyway? I guess i'm wrong.

The resolution of the movies as shipped was the Xbox resolution (which is only television 500-odd rows), so the resolution has indeed been improved, though not to 1600 x 1200.

So it wasn't a cow point (you're not Joey, are you?). Or even a moot point, though I'm not quite sure what you're saying. ;)

Didn't you get fired for chasing this up? :p

I'm right?  :rolleyes:  YAY ME!  (w00t)

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My previous things like Obsidian going over LucasArts and leaking the content patch and stuff are obviously on the stupid side, but what about Obsidian doing a content patch In-House then. Surely LucasArts won't care as long it doesn't cost them anything.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Putting aside questions as to whether or not that would make economic sense, it requires Obsidian to have Intellectual Property rights or permission from LucasArts.

They certainly don't have IP rights (no developer retains those these days) and they are unlikely to get permission from a publisher whose stated position (in that infamous press release) is that the game is complete and the cut material was cut because it wasn't good enough and not for any other reason (however believable that position may be).

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

Putting aside questions as to whether or not that would make economic sense, it requires Obsidian to have Intellectual Property rights or permission from LucasArts.

They certainly don't have IP rights (no developer retains those these days) and they are unlikely to get permission from a publisher whose stated position (in that infamous press release) is that the game is complete and the cut material was cut because it wasn't good enough and not for any other reason (however believable that position may be).

LOL, i find that so funny....this game is 'complete' ?? lol

it shows how much they know.

I'm running 1600 x 1200 and i notices a huge differance!

Though i thought the game resoloution would be a moo point, because the game changes resoloution when it plays the movies anyway? I guess i'm wrong.

The resolution of the movies as shipped was the Xbox resolution (which is only television 500-odd rows), so the resolution has indeed been improved, though not to 1600 x 1200.

So it wasn't a cow point (you're not Joey, are you?). Or even a moot point, though I'm not quite sure what you're saying. :ermm:

What i meant was it should matter what resoloution you play the game at, because before the movie plays the game chan ges the screen resoloution to match the movie!

So if you play the game at 640 res or 1600 res, it shouldnt matter, because the game should change the screen resoloution to match the mvie anyway! So say the movies resoloution was 1024 then the game should change the screen resoloution to 1024 before playing it!

So if the game chan ges you resoloution when it wants to play a movie, it makes your screen resoloution a moo point, its moo. :x

Movies are pre-rendered. For them to do that they would need one set of movies at 640 x 480, then another set of movies at 800 x 600, then another set at 1024 x 786, and so on. Bink movies have a set resolution and cannot be resized on the spur of the moment. That is why I am against pre-rendered video. If the FMV can be done in the game engine then by all means use the game engine for the FMV than use Bink. Sure you will need a more versitile game engine, but the quality would be for much better than relying on preset video.

Damn, thats a very unefficient way of playing videos in-game :/

I could understand having a high res set and a low res set, but having a differant set of videos for each resoloutions? thats a bit much.

Also, there should be no need for the flickering of the moniter (as if the resoloution is changing) if it doesnt need to change the resoloution changing to play the movie. I'm quite suprised at this. :(

That is why I am against pre-rendered video.  If the FMV can be done in the game engine then by all means use the game engine for the FMV than use Bink.  Sure you will need a more versitile game engine, but the quality would be for much better than relying on preset video.

There's a lot of good ingame pre-rendered video around - it just depends on what compression they choose/are able to use. Also look at videos around in general rendered by graphics card, like ATi and the Ruby demos :( (seen the latest one, holy crap (w00t) ).

Don't get me wrong, some of the smaller scenes in games should be rendered in-game, but uhhh, surely you have exceptions, say the Rome Total War introduction. You would need a super computer to render that live...

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

For me, the movies look a bit better, no dramatical changes. I'm using ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb PCI-E with Catalyst 5.9 and Samsung Syncmaster 710T. I'm using 1280x1024 resolution cuz it's 17" LCD-displays native. During movies if I check from displays OSD which resolution is it using it says 640x480 so the movie's pretty blurry becouse of scaling. Better then before the patch thougt, how come some people say that they have even 1600x1200 res movies? Then shouldn't I have 1280x1024?

same here

kotor2video4iv.jpg

That's what my movies looks like. Well, in game they don't look THAT bad (and the space scenes are much sharper) but as you can see, there are lines around light sources (that doesn't include stars in space for example). Is that "quality" normal? Should I try to reinstall the patch/game?

EDIT: Lines are of course around almost everything, not just light sources :("

Edited by Darth Arrow

Well, that sort of movies could have easily been done with games own engine... Stupid to make them look horrible... But still, even in KotOR 1 in game movies showing for example battles beteen Revan and Bastila weren't SO bad looking than these...

Edited by Darth Arrow

Well, that sort of movies could have easily been done with games own engine... Stupid to make them look horrible... But still, even in KotOR 1 in game movies showing for example battles beteen Revan and Bastila weren't SO bad looking than these...

These videos are interlaced right? (horizontal bars)

sigpic0yb.jpg

What I meant was it should matter what resoloution you play the game at, because before the movie plays the game chan ges the screen resoloution to match the movie!

So if you play the game at 640 res or 1600 res, it shouldnt matter, because the game should change the screen resoloution to match the mvie anyway! So say the movies resoloution was 1024 then the game should change the screen resoloution to 1024 before playing it!

So if the game chan ges you resoloution when it wants to play a movie, it makes your screen resoloution a moo point, its moo.  :wub:

If I follow what you're saying, you are correct that there is an "auto-resolution-configuration" changing the screen res for a movie, and back again afterwards.

The point is that the movie resolution is poor (Xbox plays on a standard television, which is 480p, I think) so it looks like a TRS-80 hi-res game of Pong compared to the 1600 x 1200 game engine scenes book-ending it.

So it's moo, but it's not. If you see what I mean. :wub:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

me too

btw it's 480i

...which doesn't look nice on a 17" LCD monitor :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy