Everything you wanted to know about mods

Note: this thread has been made in order to replace the old mod topic after discussion with Battlewookie as the old topic has disappeared.

CONTENTS:

1. Where can I find Kotor and TSL mods?

- General modding sites

- Other sites where you can find mods:

2. Installing mods:

- General

- Language issues

3. Learning to mod:

a. I'm no programmer, how can I even hope to mod something?

b. What about modding tools?

4. Some favorite mods

(coming soon)

1. Where can I find Kotor and TSL mods?

Here's a list of sites where you can find Kotor and TSL mods:

a. General modding sites

You will find a variety of mods on the following sites, including side quests, new items and weapons, force powers, reskins, new characters, difficulty mods, etc.

• Lucas Forums Kotor editing forums and more particularly the Taris Upper City Emporium Holowan Laboratories: the vast majority of kotor modders announce their mods over there - if there's a mod you'd like to have, you can also make a request.

• PCGamemods - Kotor 1 - various Kotor 1 mods.

• PCGamemods - TSL - tons of Kotor 2 TSL mods.

• LucasFiles - you'll find some mods here. This is the only officially endorsed LucasArts mod download site.

Note that PCgamemods recently removed their comments sections, most modders announce their mods and await your comments at LucasForums, in the Upper Taris Emporium forum.

Don't forget to leave your feedback! Modders appreciate feedback: there's nothing like it to encourage them. Even if there are things to improve, it's always good to see people demonstrating an interest. It also helps to make better mods in the future.

b. Other sites where you can find mods:

"specialized" sites and modders personal websites

• TSL restoration project site also known as the Team Gizka site: this site is dedicated to restoring Kotor 2 cut content. You will also find a few more downloads.

• You will also find a list of modders' personal websiteshere.

Every Weekend, StarWarsKnights.com posts a list of new mods and tools to keep you informed of what is going on in the Kotor modding community.

2. Installing mods:

a. General

- You can find a tutorial on mod installation here

- Afraid to replace your game original files? Don't worry, mods do not normally require you to replace any file (except maybe the dialog.tlk file - see language issues below). Generally, mods will simply ask you to put files in a folder called Override: these files will simply be given priority over the original game files and will not erase any of them.

b. Language issues

Most mods are in English only. If your game is in a language other than English, you will have to use DLG/UTI/UTC Language Converter 0.5 to convert the *.dlg, *uti and *utc files contained in the mods in order to be able to view the new dialogues and descriptions. This will not translate the mod but at leat you will be able to use it.

Warning: replacing your original dialog.tlk file by a dialog.tlk contained in a mod will change the language of all the text in your game. Make sure to back up your original file before replacing it. However, mods distributing a custom dialog.tlk file are very rare. Other files are safe to install.

3. Learning to mod:

a. I'm no programmer, how can I even hope to mod something?

Contrary to some common belief, modding KotOR is accessible to everyone and no prior experience is required. Just start checking the tutorials at Holowan Labs to get started and don't hesitate to ask questions. Other modders will be happy to help you get started. Don't be afraid of those n00bish questions: everyone has to start somewhere :rolleyes:

Of course, if you have never modded anything before, don't start making an intergalactic quest. Start small, such as editing item propertiesto familiarize yourself with the files and the tools and once you are comfortable, move on to something else. Some areas of modding require more specific knowledge but with reasonable efforts and practice pretty much everything is easily accessible.

b. What about modding tools?

First of all, you'll need Fred Tetra's KotOR tool

StarWarsKnights.com also has a huge tools library that is continually updated. As soon as a new utility is released, it is added to the library (with the full consent of the authors).

You can also find more about modding tools, discuss troubleshooting or bring your suggestions at the T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center at LucasForums.

You don't know what you need to make your mod? Check this thread to get started.

4. Some favorite mods

(coming soon)

suggestions welcomed :o

Edited by Darth333

Kewl, it's back :D

Thanks Darth333 :- If I can think of anything to add, I'l let ya' know (or post here and apologize later) :( hehehe...

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!

Guest MacleodCorp

I am glad that Darth333 decided to open another modding thread. Since I am not a moderator or admin for LucasForums.com, I believe that Darth333 is better qualified to run a modding thread for their community. It was good that I had the original thread removed, so someone who is involved directly with the modding community could bring their inside experience to this thread. Being on the outside gave me a disadvantage. :)

Edited by MacleodCorp

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MacLeodCorp
Just wanted to thank Darth333 for all the mods you have made. I use several of them and couldnt be happier. I have even learned to make a few of my own(mainly new player character mods)

Darth333 does have a nice resource of mods. Please keep in mind that she is not the only one who creates mods. This latest one, which I posted was created by myself and three others.

Just wanted to thank Darth333 for all the mods you have made. I use several of them and couldnt be happier. I have even learned to make a few of my own(mainly new player character mods)

Darth333 does have a nice resource of mods. Please keep in mind that she is not the only one who creates mods. This latest one, which I posted was created by myself and three others.

Darth 333 was the first name that came to mind because of the Choke Anyone mod. Others installed, but difficult to remember the modder. Thanks to everyone, it has made the game that much more fun.

Guest MacLeodCorp

Darth 333 was the first name that came to mind because of the Choke Anyone mod. Others installed, but difficult to remember the modder. Thanks to everyone, it has made the game that much more fun.

If you like Darth333's mods check out her home page:

http://www.geocities.com/d333mods/

She has a small list located at her site. She is really talented. :(

Edited by MacLeodCorp

Just for fun:

This is a small mod for those who want to give Halloween a more Kotorian feeling or just add some humor to the game :o :

http://www.starwarsknights.com/view.php?sc...s/halloween.jpg and http://pcgamemods.com/screenshot/77128.html

The mod includes several new "headgear" and weapon models and a few surprises.

More info & download here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=154622

hehe well all this to say happy Halloween :)

Edited by Darth333

...I just installed this

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.c..._Mod_Demo;46594

But my storm troopers don't look like storm troopers from the trilogy. They are just the sith in golden suits like KotOR has originally.

Anyone know why? :S

You might want to ask about that down at Holowan Labs. These forums aren't too full of modders. (With a few exceptions, but I'm not going into details.)

Aside from that, this looks like "Rise of the Sith", Gsccc's storyline mod.

so uh.. am I allowed to ask for help on mods?

Yes. If you want to help with "Rise of the Sith", PM Gsccc.

Edited by Darth_Pavel

so uh.. am I allowed to ask for help on mods?

I just installed this

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.c..._Mod_Demo;46594

But my storm troopers don't look like storm troopers from the trilogy. They are just the sith in golden suits like KotOR has originally.

Anyone know why? :S

The stormtrooper mod was made by Prime and I am not sure it is included in that mod. If you want it, you can download it here: http://pcgamemods.com/mod/8068.html

• 2 weeks later...

hey does anyone know if there is a silumation battle mod or some mod that you can do battle and get exp. and items. Can someone help me get started on a infinite credit mod, or edit saves so i can change the amount of credits i have.

just send me in the right dirrection. thanks a bunch. :D

Edited by cperry911

• 2 weeks later...

Use the KSE utility....I added it to this post because I couldn't remember where I downloaded it from.

****Removed the attachment...Thanks Darth333 for pointing that out!***

Would like to ask a question about the Bastila mod....Is anyone else experience sudden game crashes using that mod? I *NEVER* had one prior to installing....It's not a great big deal, but I'm just wondering if there is something I can try to keep it from happening over & over. Seems I can play for about 25 minutes then the game freezes then closes out.

Edited by GMan2

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |

GMan2: that version of KSE you posted is very outdated. The latest version of KSE as well as other utilities can be found here: http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

There also a couple battle simulation mods:

Combat simulation arena: http://pcgamemods.com/mod/15360.html

Sith Battle Simulation: http://pcgamemods.com/mod/10820.html

Edited by Darth333

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see some brand new PC Heads for K1 or TSL. I'm not a fan of reskins or modifications to an already existing head since it just involves changing the eye colour, skin complexion, or hair colour. I think that the series as a whole would be better if you could fully customioze your character's appearance i.e. like in the Sims 2 (when you create a Sim). That way you can be happy with the character you create instead of using Bioware's or Obsidian's pre-designed heads which dont look all that great. I'm not criticising modders here since I'm pretty sure I couldn't do any better but I would like to see some new heads.

The reason why you haven't seen entirely brand new pc heads models until now is not due to the modders' abilities but because it's simply impossible yet. Heads loose their animations when imported into the game.

However, it is possible to manipulate exisitng models and here's an example:

http://pcgamemods.com/mod/16987.html

(it's the only - or one of the rare- modified K1 head model as the tool has been released after Kotor 2)

Edited by Darth333

• 1 month later...

I clicked on one of you links and got this:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the LucasForums database.

Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

I just thought you should know. :p

I clicked on one of you links and got this:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the LucasForums database.

Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

I just thought you should know. :wub:

Same here. I've been trying all day :lol: . However, if you browse the web without loging in, you should be ok...

Which mod is best to make game harder? :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

There is a special Hardcore mod. You will find it at PCgamemods.com.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

There's the hardcore mod (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=144847 )but I suggest combining it with the Improved AI mod: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=...08&postcount=85 and Achilles's Game balance mod: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=147135

Edited by Darth333

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Every Weekend, StarWarsKnights.com posts a list of new mods and tools to keep you informed of what is going on in the Kotor modding community.

Hey gang, just some FYI.. lately we had been 'slacking' in the Mods Report, but we've recently started it back up. :ermm:"

Mostly due to school/holiday/or just to busy with RL, modders have had a recent surge of producing some new stuff.

For those interested in mods for the KotOR Series games, I just wanted to let you know that we're trying to get back on track with keeping you guys-n-gals updated :)

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!