Clutter on the boards...

Jedi Master Dakari

I have seen this occur on almost way too many threads around the forums and it irritates me to the hilt...

People, it makes no sense to quote the entire post of the person directly before you. Especially if that person - in turn - quoted the three people directly infront of him/her. And sometimes, when this is done, it is only followed by a simple, solitary, icon...or something of that nature.

I understand there is sometimes a need to quote in order to make it clear what you are referring to. However, when you are referring to a post right before (or a few places behind) your own comments, it does nothing more than to add unnecessary clutter to the board. Just say what you have to say and let that be that.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now. And I'm sorry that I had to get on it in the first place. It just so happens that this is a common occurrence and I felt like I needed to address the issue.

Edited by Jedi Master Dakari

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

I think it is just a matter of nettiquette, but I agree with you.

If you quote more than you post, then you need to trim it up.

If you're quoting a lengthy post, then break it up and reply point by point, or if you are only really replying to one small part of a previous post, then don't quote the whole thing.

Certainly don't quote someone else quoting someone else quoting someone else.

I'd say it's due to the fact that the boards are busy and posts may slip in ahead of your reply, which may cause it to 'disappear', if you will. Then as people post their replies and nothing got in between they're just too lazy to fix it (or don't know that they can edit their posts). I do this myself and I frankly don't have a big problem with the whole issue.

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

Hmmm ... thanks Jedi Master Dakari for your input. I know that the quoting tree can often become an aggravation. It is often a point of contention on most of the fora in which I have participated when misused. I do not think that the coding allows for much flexibility in this regard. If, in the future, you come upon what to you feels like a misuse, please contact me and I will do what I can. As for this thread, well I hear the SPAM begin to POP, so I'll close it down with my thanks for bringing forth your concern.

Respectfully,

Fionavar

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: