Jeremy Soule or Mark Griskey

Jambo

Whose music did you like better?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Whose music did you like better?

• Jeremy Soule, Knight of the Old Republic
    • Mark Griskey, Knights of the Old Republic II

Personally, I prefer Jeremy Soule. There is a lot of Mark Griskey's music that I love, but the truth is I just like Jeremy Soule's music better. Although Mark Griskey's music DOES sound a little more Star Warsy, like the music in Iziz, for example. But Jeremy Soule's just...well...I liked the way he used little parts of John William's music in some of the music in KotOR, like Bastila Shan and the music playing when the Ebon Hawk escapes Taris and is being chased by the snub fighters. Also, the Sleheyron Music (from the Rakata Mind Prison) is probably my favorite track. And the music on the Hrakert Station creeped me out just right.

But despite being in favor of Jeremy Soule, Mark Griskey's music sounded a lot darker, which I think is just what was needed for KotOR 2. but it was still a breath of fresh air to hear Jeremy Soule's work in certain cutscenes, like the Dark Side ending, which was heard toward the end of KotOR 1, if any of you remember that.

If they do make a KotOR 3, I think that they should use both Jeremy Soule and Mark Griskey.

Well Griskey's music being butchered was unfortunate but in the end I would go for Soule by a long shot. Don't get me wrong, like you said his music was good and appropriate for the game but I think the diversity and use of Star Wars themes worked a lot more - Griskey might have used them too but the fact I can't recall it being in there kinda proves the point. Here are some of best combo's of area/music that come to mind most often:

Taris Upper City - the whole peaceful Star Wars atmosphere and being a JA fan I found it nice to have the whole walking around in a city/street very calming.

Bastila - tiny insert of the Force theme and she is at the heart of the jedi issue.

Sith music (Endire Spire).

Dantooine Outback - similar reason to Taris.

I guess all that paced JA music makes me a sucker for slower Star Wars music.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

JS Made some good music for Icewind Dale. The Kotor music was rather forgettable (I try, but I just can't remember any of it). I still remember parts of the Kotor2 score though, so based on recent memories, Griskey gets the vote. Mind you, Kotor2 is the only MG music I know, so it's not really a fair comparison.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's too bad Soule can't return to his days glory back in IWD, now that was music. This new stuff is, as our member #666 put it, rather forgettable. So, Mark Griskey it is.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think neither music was Star Warsy and memorable enough (although it may be my fault, I have troubles remembering music). But the KOTOR I music had a fairy-talish tone and the KOTOR II one appeared darker and more "realistic". Also, of the two most memorable themes (Endar Spire and Rebuilt Jedi Enclave, respectively), the second seemed deeper and more "polished". It fits extremely well in the final cutscene, too.

Difficult for me to answer - I really liked them both. Griskey's sounds closer to Star Wars, even though none of his pieces actually include a John Williams theme, but I still really like Soule's. There are pieces by both that I adore, but I guess there are more of Jeremy's that I adore, so there we go...

The other interesting thing is that how much different would JS's soundtrack sound if it was fully orchestrated - I mean, I'm almost sure that it's synthasised, if that's the correct term (let alone spelling...)

Soule does everything with synths, which is one of the pet peeves of mine.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

yep, both are good but they use music better in K1. In K2 at each battle you do there nearly always the same music, it's quite boring at the end. :*"

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

both are good.....but I really like the interspersion of John Williams's music in the musical score of the first one.

And I love the majestic theme song of K1:

Da Daaaaaaa Da Da Da Da Da Daaaa Da

K2's musical score was appropriate to the darker context. If K3 is made, it will undoubtetly be closer to K2 in tone than K1. However, it would be good if there were some lighter moments in the musical score....some majestic, happy stuff at certain times in the story (such as when the good guys are on the comeback).

Jeremy Soule does most sythesized music. But he does it so well you can rarely tell the difference between it and fully orchestrated works.

I like the fact that the music for K2 was fully orchestrated, but I simply prefer Jeremy Soule's music to Mike Griskey's.

Has anyone ever listened to The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind soundtrack? It is really nice work. I downloaded the main theme on LimeWire and I listen to it alot. I was playing it in my dorm one night and my room-mate started humming along with it. :(

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

Da Daaaaaaa Da    Da Da Da Da Daaaa Da

It's pretty good yes.

both are good, but someone tell me whats the file name for the song which plays when the Ebon Hawk is fleeing Taris and is persued by Sith Fighters.

How exactly does the music sound "In the persuit escaping Taris"???

The name of the cutscene filename is 05_1c I believe. :(

I don't think the music exists seperately unfortunately. If so, I'd certainly extract the music from the Dantooine Arrival cutscene from K1 (and also the Onderon>>Dxun cutscene in K2) - that's a beautiful piece of music, even if the bulk of it is just William's Jedi theme, it's done very well. >_<

Unfortunately I can almost always spot the synthasiser, regardless of who's using it - not that that detracts from my fondness for Soule's work ^_^

thats not it BattleWookiee, the bit im on about is in a cutscene when we see the ebon hawk flyby then is persued by 6 sith fighters.

Maybe that was because it was THIS one I posted...:

Da Daaaaaaa Da    Da Da Da Da Daaaa Da

The name of the cutscene filename is 05_1c I believe. :(

Yep. That's the one.

If the music of that one is available independant of the movie, I don't have it. It sound like a mix of 3 other Kotor1 music-tracks

I personally don't know much about either guy, but the music was better in K1, so I'll have to vote Soule.  >_<  There were only a couple pieces in K2 I actually liked, like the Sith academy and the Rebuilt Enclave music.

Might have something to do with the better quality too.

But still, Soule also did a great job with many other games, like Dungeon Siege, Kohan2, NWN etc.

Edited by Battlewookiee

The Sith Lords theme music is also very good. the music playing during character creation. that one's a dandy. but what really bugged me is a lot of the music in KotOR 2 is recycled throughout the game. I didn't really like that. I can't hink of all the tracks, but there's quite a bit and they were reused "recklessly." There were quite a few tracks in KotOR 1 that were recycled, like Bastila Shan, Malak's Theme, Sand People Enclave (area and battle music), Rakata Temple (area and battle music), Taris Sewers (area and battle music), Taris Lower City (area and battle music), "Pazaak," Anchorhead (area and battle music). There some others, but the reason why it doesn't bother me in KotOR 1 is because the tracks were reused were they seemed appropriate and they weren't reused as muchMark Griskey cut and pasted some of his tracks to make different ones in KotOR 2 and some of his tracks are used in like 3 or 4 different areas.

NWN has some AWESOME tracks in it, especially with the SOU and HOTU expansions added.

and i also like the Onderon => Dxun and Dxun => Onderon tune, and Enclave Rebuilt theme, i think the music in K1&K2 is just as good as each other. K2 i have to admit would have been better had the March been added but alas it wasn't so the ending in K2 will always be abit iffy on the music side to me lol