Hurricane Rita

Child of Flame

Around here, the closest thing to a natural disaster we get is a thunderstorm. I shudder to think of the effects this hurricane might bring, esp. if it's still category 5 when it reaches the coast. As if we didn't have enough on our hands with Katrina already. Some friends of mine are currently in Texas, too. I hope they'll be okay. :( Hopefully, the state and federal governments will have learned their lesson and run the disaster response a lot better.

I know someone that lived in New Orleans before Katrina hit. He managed to get out in time, but now he's living right in the path of Rita. Talk about getting screwed over. At least this time he's above sea level. :(

We've been flooded here twice in 5 years here. Thankfully I live on top of a drumlin so no flooded basements/first floor for us. :luck:"

I live in one of the wettest cities in the UK, but aside from the occasional flood every few years, natural disasters are unkown to us. Plus, Glasgow is a very hilly place, so property damage is minimal even when we do get floods. On the other hand, Life Expectancy is higher in Baghdad than it is in Glasgow (I am not joking), and we're the most dangerous city in Scotland, so what we lack in acts of god, we make up for in acts of criminal, and acts of deep fat fryer.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I'm glad I don't live anywhere theres a danger of Hurricanes. Luckily instead I live on the ring of fire and we're about 10 years overdue for a major earthquake.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't know if they just build houses better in the places I've lived, but I've been through at least seven hurricanes over my lifetime (one at sea), and I've never been particularly endangered.

Were they class 5?

Anyway, looks like God hates the south.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's years like these I'm glad I live in the mountains with no natural disasters to speak of other than forest fires.  :ph34r:

Clicky

It's times like these when I say "WTF". I mean how likely is that a hurricane hits Texas? When was the last time it happend? Hasen't it be like 15 or 30 years?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1485828/posts

Some guy in August was studying the effects of global warming, and felt due to global warming we'd see an increase in the number and strength of tropical storms.

This year looks to be a record year.

Yet plenty of people insist that global warming doesn't even exist.

Yet plenty of people insist that global warming doesn't even exist.

There is no arguement that the worlds temp has gone up slightly the last decade. It's a fact.

The arguement is why. The earth has been through many a tempature change without humans help or a comet hitting it. I think global warming plays a hand in it, if it isn't the main cause, but I can see the counter arguement (especially when stated better than I just did)

Around here, the closest thing to a natural disaster we get is a thunderstorm.  I shudder to think of the effects this hurricane might bring, esp. if it's still category 5 when it reaches the coast.  As if we didn't have enough on our hands with Katrina already.  Some friends of mine are currently in Texas, too.  I hope they'll be okay.  ;)  Hopefully, the state and federal governments will have learned their lesson and run the disaster response a lot better.

You'd have 'thought' they'd have learned something last year, when four major storms hit Florida within the space of a couple months. Weren't they paying attention?

Its not that people not believing in Global Warming, it is disputed that Human industry is the cause of the global warming. Earth's environment is a delicate system that goes in cycles. It goes through warming trends and it has gone through cooling tends over the 3 to 4 billion years of its existance.

Certainly we need to curb our use of fossil fuels, if not for the environment for conservation. Fossil fuels are finite. What we need to keep mind is that we are indeed insignificant to the power of nature and not let our pride and arrogance get in the way of common sense.

I hold basically the same thoughts as Hades.

While I'll cop to it that Global Warming exists, and we might be accelerating it a wee bit, I don't think we have near the effect on it environmentalists like to think.

Especially when you take into consideration we're due for another ice age, and that's exactly what will happen when the Gulf Stream shifts as a result of Global Warming.