Game Length

alanschu

Does it say the actual game length on the box, or approximate?

If it's just approximate then I think that the gamer should play at their own risk and assume that the game might be around that length if they do every single sidequest, and converse with the majority of NPCs and whatnot.

I think game length is much like the Required and Recommended Specs. Take Bloodlines for example. I had the RECOMMENDED specs beat, but the game was still choppy and slow as crap on my machine. It shouldn't be the be-all-end-all of what the game will be, but a rather lenient gauge.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I agree. I was pretty upset with the fact that the explanation I was given to remedy my issues with Bloodlines by their tech support was "get more RAM" when I had enough according to the REQ and REC specs.

But I'm just saying that I think the game length on the box is an approximation just like the required and recommended stats are and that a gamer shouldn't necessarily think that their computer will be able to handle it 100%.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Games like the Elder Scrolls series are HUGE and they are obviously quite profitable. Crpg gamers are also usually willing to spend more money on quality rpgs, (at least they were last time I read about the subject) so I have a hard time believing that cost is that prohibative to making huge rpgs. Since the average budget (and correct me I am wrong) to create a video game is around four million and most games reuse art and engines, I have to ask: Where is all this money going?

I think what people want is quality quantity, and game designers don't want to invest four years or more of their lives on one project. Not that I blame them of course.

Why not list the minimum length on the back?

Instead of listing something like "Approx. 40+ hours!" as the game length, you could list "15 hours minimum length; over 50 sidequests!" Thus, you'd get some appeciation of the length of the main plot, you could get a rough idea of the total length (which might actually be more useful, as you can guage the total length based on how long it takes you to complete an average sidequest, as opposed to some faceless statistic), and get a measure of the game's linearity.

You might find "Approx. 40+ hours!" on the back of BG2 or FFVII, but you'd get more information from "20 hours minimum; 30+ sidequests" and "30 hours minimum" on each respectively. Thus, you learn that both are long games, but BG2 is lengthened by its sidequests, while FFVII has a very long and very linear storyline.

The best way I think to determine the minimum length would be to have the developers play through it, skip all sidequests, but not skip dialogue and movie clips, which are things a first time player is more likely to watch and listen to, even if they ignore other things.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Some games brag of 30-40 hrs of gameplay but include an interminable number of inane sidequests with a tiny bit of storyline. Those games are way too long, and more of a rip-off than a story that is finished before you're ready for it to end. Measuring or classifying by game length alone is not the way to go; what I really want is a well-executed storyline that ends when the story is told. The longer the better, of course; I'd rather read a novel than a short story anytime.

Just a thought: relatively few game companies over the years have taken the 'novel' approach of character development and deep plotline like Black Isle did. Is it because the industry is hiring more 'short-story' writers than those capable of producing cohesive longer works?

Hi guys

If you want to play a long HC game, play my NWN mod:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=3799

And if it's not enough, you should wait for the sequel which will be even longer, around 100-150+ hours (after ten months of hard work I'm at about 80 percent)

The first one lacks henchman interaction, the sequel will feature it.

TH1 has 157,000+ words of convo, the sequel already has 200,000+ and is growing.

If you have problems while playing, just drop me a mail. Info on the vault page.

Have a good time.

When it comes to story focused RPGs, I'll take content over grinding, thank you very much.

I don't think that narrative duration and character development are getting shorter or more stilted, by any means. I think time spent on story telling and character development has increased greatly on the whole since the early 90s, among CRPGs. And what's more important, they're being increasingly tied directly into the underlying system of these games (e.g., through conversation skills) in a departure from Chosen One hero dialogue linearity (or in some older RPGs, total absence of protagonist dialogue).

I appreciate the quantity of time dedicated to roleplaying and story telling in Bloodlines or Jade Empire. If you threw a hundred more sequential rooms filled with Generic Mob #1, Generic Mob #2 and Generic Mob #3 into these games, they wouldn't feel beneficially longer to me. They'd feel like bigger time-wasters, not bigger games.

As long as story, quest and character content doesn't shrink, I'm happy. Consequently, I'm happy right now with the way RPGs are going. Most of the time these days, I can't justify sitting for 100 hours, 90 hours of which consists of killing nameless goon monsters who contribute nothing to story telling, when I could sit for 30 hours, 20 hours of which consists of meaningful story-driven roleplay content. I can still get a kick out of IWD1 (just played through it and both expansions last month), but justifying gigantic amounts of dungeon crawl gameplay as a scheduling choice is pretty hard when I could get so much more with a much less problematic time investment.

Hmmm, I would tend to agree. Huge amounts of time in many of the older games could be spent effectively doing nothing, wandering aimlessly without even finding a generic mob.

To some though, this type of exploration is very popular, and even I don't mind it too much, as long as there's something to do at the end of my journey. A huge empty wilderness that is ultimately a dead end would definitely be a dud.

Morrowind certainly offers this as well, but the problem is that it doesn't do it well. NPC dialogue is bland, the main quest isn't all that great, and combat mechanics are sub-par. All together the game misses the point of being fun.

Now that fans have given unique dialogue to all the NPCs, and cleaned the game up quite a bit, I'm considering giving it another go with a healthy staple of mods.

Guest Fishboot
...NPC dialogue is bland

In defense of Morrowind's dialogue, I get the idea that the majority of it is meant to be an abstraction of conversation rather than a simulation of conversation the way your VTM:Bs and Fallouts would do it. I'm actually semi-disappointed that they're going with individualized "trash" NPCs in Oblivion, because they're moving away from the stuff that made Daggerfall such a "Beth doesn't know enough to be unoriginal" crazy-bomb and moving into production value racing.

I believe they're planning on rectifying those faults for Oblivion, if I'm not mistaken.

On the other hand, will Oblivion be as big as Morrowind?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I am looking forward to Oblivion.  I am curious if Bethesda will learn from their mistakes.

Same, Morrowind had so much potential, but it just fell short. If they can correct Morrowind

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I want games to be shorter in length.  I don't enjoy many 3 hour movies, and I don't finish many games that take more than 40 hours. 

Coming from someone who has his XFIRE logged with many many WoW hours; please explain. I'm confused. :p

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.