Mead

Oerwinde

So I was watching the 13th Warrior the other day and watching those vikings downing all that mead got me wondering what it was like. So now I want to try it but I've found that its really hard to come by, yet apparently really popular with home brewers. I finally found a place that supposedly sells it but I wanted to know if any of you folks have tried it and know what its like, or can even recommend a good online retailer.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Beowulf.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Mead is awesome and you can usually get it at places like Trader Joes and World Markets.

It's also a favorite at ye olde faires every year. Renaissance faires sell it, but sometimes run dry on the stuff because it's relatively harder to find.

Mead has a distinctly honey taste. It's smooth, heavy, and has a sweet taste and aftertaste. It leaves a warm feeling down your throat and in your mid-section, much like brandy or sake. It might be a bit thick for some folks, but I find it quite refreshing. It's one of the few things I'm even tempted to purchase these days. I drink it sparingly because of health reasons, but it's one of my favorite beverages.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Anglo-Saxton.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Mead is awesome and you can usually get it at places like Trader Joes and World Markets.

It's also a favorite at ye olde faires every year.  Renaissance faires sell it, but sometimes run dry on the stuff because it's relatively harder to find.

Mead has a distinctly honey taste.  It's smooth, heavy, and has a sweet taste and aftertaste.  It leaves a warm feeling down your throat and in your mid-section, much like brandy or sake.  It might be a bit thick for some folks, but I find it quite refreshing.  It's one of the few things I'm even tempted to purchase these days.  I drink it sparingly because of health reasons, but it's one of my favorite beverages.

Well, I'm going down to the place I found tomorrow to see if they have any. BC's first meadery started up in 2004 and their website said this place sells their products so I'm gonna see if I can get a bottle of the regular stuff, some sack mead, and if I have enough money left over, some metheglin. If I don't like it, being honey based I can probably just mix it with tea :D

Devastatorsig.jpg

from Wikipedia:

Mead is a fermented alcoholic beverage made of honey, water, and yeast. It is sometimes known as "honey wine" (for obvious reasons) and is generally pronounced "meed" (IPA: /miːd/), though South Africans usually pronounce it "med", to rhyme with "red" (IPA: /mɛd/).

In Norse mythology, mead was the favorite drink of the Norse gods and heroes, e.g. in Valhalla, and the mead of Suttung, made from the blood of Kvasir, was the source of wisdom and poetry. The nectar and ambrosia of the Greek gods were probably draughts of fermented honey.

A mead that also contains spices (like cloves, cinnamon or nutmeg) or herbs (such as oregano or even lavender or chamomile) is called metheglin. The etymon of this word is the Welsh word meddyglyn, meaning "medicinal liquor", as healing herbs were often stored as metheglin so they would be available over the winter (as well as making them much easier to swallow). Slavic miod/med, which means "honey", derives from the same Proto-Indo-European root.

A mead that contains fruit (such as strawberry, blackcurrant or even rose-hips) is called melomel and was also used as a delicious way to "store" summer produce for the winter.

Mulled mead is a popular winter holiday drink, where mead is flavoured with spices and warmed, traditionally by having a hot poker plunged into it.

Hippocras is spiced grape wine sweetened with honey. A grape-based wine with added honey is called a pyment.

Cyser is made with (hard) apple cider and honey; braggot or bracket is made with malted barley and honey.

Met_Flasche_und_Glas.jpg

Mead is awesome. I'm all for making it the national beverage of Denmark again :cool:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I want some now...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

So I was watching the 13th Warrior the other day and watching those vikings downing all that mead got me wondering what it was like. So now I want to try it but I've found that its really hard to come by, yet apparently really popular with home brewers. I finally found a place that supposedly sells it but I wanted to know if any of you folks have tried it and know what its like, or can even recommend a good online retailer.

Well, I don't know where in Canada it is you live, but in Ontario you can get it easily at the Beer Store. They've even got 2 or 3 different flavours. I've had it a few times. It's really good... though a bit pricey if compared to the price of beer.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

Now I'm looking up drinking horns, because they're cool and all. And they're bloody expensive. Well, for my budget at least. Found one really nice one on ebay, but its in GBP and the exchange rate will kill me. The auction is at like 5 bucks, which is the equivalent to like 10 bucks CAD, plus 8 GBP shipping, so right there its 26 bucks. And thats not even my bid. If I bid, chances are it will go to at least 15, GBP, so thats like 30 bucks, plus shipping. Then when it gets here depending on the guy who ships it I might get customs fees, which would be another like 15 bucks. So thats like 60 bucks for it.

Then again, the shipping on any of the other auctions is like 24 GBP. 50 bucks for shipping alone.

Well, I don't know where in Canada it is you live, but in Ontario you can get it easily at the Beer Store. They've even got 2 or 3 different flavours. I've had it a few times. It's really good... though a bit pricey if compared to the price of beer.

I live in Burnaby, BC. Suburb of Vancouver. The BC Liquor store doesn't carry it, though they have really large sections devoted to asian liquor. There was one bottle that had a whole pear in it. It was neat. Though its annoying that they carry absinthe, but not mead. (even if it is the crappy absinthe) The place that apparently carries it is called Liberty Wine Merchants. The Tugwell Creek website said they carry their stuff, but the LWM website doesn't mention it.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm also quite partial to plum wine. A well made plum wine is a great treat. You should find it easily in the asian section of your package store. Don't quaff it like a soda. Enjoy it. Ahh, the last time I had plum wine, I had a Japanese girl sitting on my lap lifting the glass to my mouth. I would suggest using the same method if you have the chance.

I recommend letting mead sit on your tongue for a few seconds. Breath it, almost like wine, and then swallow it slowly. You will thank me for the advice. :Eldar's patented reminiscent look icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, I went to the place that the meadery said had their stuff, and they didn't. They suggested the liquor store across the street because it was a specialty store, not only did it carry the regular stock of liquor store items, but also a way larger variety of wines. They didn't have it either. So I'm going to have to buy it online I spose. I found one place that didn't force me to buy 6 bottles, instead they recommend buying 3, otherwise they can't guarantee the bottle will get to me intact. Problem is, I don't want to buy 3 bottles then find out I don't like the stuff.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Guess this would be a good thread for specialty drinks.  I want to try plum wine.  Anyway I heard that they used to drink sake warm to mask its sometimes inferior quality but that's no longer an issue now so they can serve it chilled.

Sake is really neat hot. Its like it evaporates as it hits your tongue.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Read American Gods. It explains what mead is.

according to that source, mead is pretty vile stuff. as Gromnir does not partake of alcoholic libations we has no point o' reference, but gaiman sure makes it sound disgusting, no?

ah well, taste is such a personal thing.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)