stoicism

GarethCarrots

my adoptive father is a person who is in my eyes very stoical. this is a trait and way of life that i respect and deplore at the same time. basically in some circumstances i think it incredibly suitable and in others not at all suitable. surely if i was my adoptive fathers son i would have inhereted a certain degree of stoicism but i am not and wear my heart on my sleeve, or enough that if a friend offends me it really eats away at me and i feel the need to share etc. i have met a situation which i feel calls for stoicism (im trying to be more stoical in general) and have got my dad to tell me how he would deal with the situation, i am following his advice and it is torturous. im just wondering if you stoics out there would care to tell me how you manage it and just give me some guidance because my dad wont go into emotion in much detail.

by guidance i mean if you actually really have to try hard at it, or does it just come to you naturally?

That's a rather simplistic definition of stoicism, don't you think?

You have to think about the context in which the Romans 'invented' stoicism. It is a notion of defending oneself from the tyranny of one's desires and fears. It is also a notion of isloating oneself from theeasy virtues described by the masses.

The main diffierence between stoicism and, say, puritanism, is that they say you should do it because it makes you stronger, and less foolish, rather than avoiding the wrath of God.

Personally, pursuit of pleasure can be just as dangerous as trying to avoid pain.

On the other hand, as I've said before, one has been given the capacity to experience pleasure and a fear of giving in to pleasure is no less stupid than giving in to pain.

Is that at all helpful? or even correct? :sorcerer:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Romans didn't invent Stoicism. They did, however, try to embody it from time to time.

That you've shared this problem with us on the internet shows that you don't possess a "stoic heart." Good.

I respect that stoicism is a way for folks to face the world, and for some folks it's easier to present a stony face when toiling under hardship. I wouldn't dream of speaking ill of your adoptive father.

On the other hand, stoicism is just philosophy, and I don't even believe it is the best philosophy. Keeping your head is always a good idea, but hiding your feelings less so. If you're open and honest with your friends. If you're melodramatic, then might want to restrain some of your more exhuberant moments. At any rate, there are worse sins than wearing your heart out on your sleeve. One such sin would be to lack a heart in the first place.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The Romans didn't invent Stoicism.  They did, however, try to embody it from time to time.

That you've shared this problem with us on the internet shows that you don't possess a "stoic heart."  Good.

I respect that stoicism is a way for folks to face the world, and for some folks it's easier to present a stony face when toiling under hardship.  I wouldn't dream of speaking ill of your adoptive father.

On the other hand, stoicism is just philosophy, and I don't even believe it is the best philosophy.  Keeping your head is always a good idea, but hiding your feelings less so.  If you're open and honest with your friends.  If you're melodramatic, then might want to restrain some of your more exhuberant moments.  At any rate, there are worse sins than wearing your heart out on your sleeve.  One such sin would be to lack a heart in the first place.

And knowing is half the battle.

What is stoicism?

Stoicism was invented in 1883 by Hungarian born Joseph Stoic. Joseph had been arranged to marry to a rather brutish woman named Mirna Polivsky. At first Joseph and Mirna fought constantly, and then would engage in errotic encounters involving various soups. This caused Joseph to experience both extreme highs and lows, but also to become very fat.

In an attempt to halt his obesity, Joseph invented a technique that would allow him to avoid both the fierce confrontations, and the unholy desire for soup that burned within, and Stoicism was born. Later he would also go on to discover botox.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I bow before PhantomJedi's superior wisdom, but only so's I can headbutt him in the nuts. :shifty:

Marcus Aurelius writes some convincing meditations on stoicism that I've just begun reading.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.