ESRB!

alanschu

That's quite annoying. Every game that's moddable will have the A-O rating. I mean, even Wolfenstein 3D had nude sprites in a mod. And in the US, we all know that naked people are much more corruptive than murder and other sorts of violence. :rolleyes:

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Guest Fishboot
Lastly, the ESRB also addresses third-party modifications (of which Counter-Strike, BF1942: Desert Combat, and GTA: Multi-Theft Auto are a few examples), with specific attention to violent and/or sexual content. The email continues, "ESRB remains concerned about third party modifications that undermine the accuracy of the original rating, and we are exploring ways to maintain the credibility of the rating system with consumers in light of modifications of this nature."

Very ominous. It's not as if PC games needed any more troubles. Maybe a parental password lock on the games that have true "plug-in" mods coming from SDKs (like Half-Life, Morrowind or NWN), but there's nothing you can do about hack type mods. And if your kid has two brain cells to rub together he'll find a hack to beat the lock in a couple of seconds.

Honestly, if you allow your kids private access to an intenet-connected PC, you've got worse problems than video game mods.

Am I missing something? All I see is the ESRB saying that they wish to include things that are already in the game but unplayable without a hack in the ratings system. Can't the developers just remove the chaff from the code to avoid it being included in the rating? Might even help with buggy PC games being released if there are fewer unecessary things in the code.

I mean, it says it's concerned about purely third-party mods, but what it seems to be doing right now is something that seems to me to be wholely fixable by the developers. I mean, was there some reason why the developers couldn't delete Hot Coffee from the GTA disk rather than just disable access to it?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

That's quite annoying. Every game that's moddable will have the A-O rating. I mean, even Wolfenstein 3D had nude sprites in a mod. And in the US, we all know that naked people are much more corruptive than murder and other sorts of violence.  :thumbsup:

Yes because natural things are evil. :-

walmart won't stock AO games, they'll simply move to unmoddable games and console games.  this is not good for the PC genre.

taks

Ummm...you know ever game is moddable? Look at Halo 2 and Fable.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Does the ESRB even know what games are? Or that there are some weird people out there with too much time on their hands?

It is NOT the responsibility of the developer or the publisher to monitor what types of mods are made for their games, considering that a person would have first to download said mods, and install them...basically voiding the license agreement...(or am I wrong on that?)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

See thats the problem with kids today, with their hula hoops, and sidewalk chalk; I'm glad that some one finnally decided to step in and protect kids from things their parent tend to totally ignore

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

What are we protecting the kids from again?

The real world, no not the stupid show on Mtv but what they'll have to face in their life. It's crazy how the world works. How nudity is worse in the eyes of most in our country than murder. It's a world gone mad...

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

That's cool, means that WalMart will have to stock AO games there if they want to people to actually buy their interactive entertainment there.  :o

Means the whole Hot Coffee mess will never happen again.  (w00t)

walmart won't stock AO games, they'll simply move to unmoddable games and console games.  this is not good for the PC genre.

taks

The REAL question here, is why would anyone lower themselves to conduct business with WallMart? :(

manthing2.jpg

there are actually laws that say that you can't keep AO games on the shelves in plain view. They have to be behind closed doors (like :* shops) thus we won't ever see PC games again because they are considered :*

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Stupid double standards, you mean?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well I belive that ESRB was started by publisher thenselves to provide warning labels over content.

What ESRB wants to do is the same as issue a rating to a movie over what was left in the cutting room, the problem with publishers is they created a reviewing board to issue labels and lost control over it.

That does not happen in europe and you know why?

Because each country reviews game content and issue a label that may or may not be the same as Pegi rating (Pegi is the european equivalent of ESRB, except they do THEIR JOB instead of playing politics) so if Pegi decided to act that dumb the countries review boards could simply override whatever they label it (as they often do).

Its at times and thing like this I am pround of being european ... that kinda crap does not happen in good old europe.

drakron.png

Ya, but Hot Coffee doesn't have any nudity, just sex like motions by the characters

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.