Should I switch to the darkside?

Arkan

And get into the MMO gaming?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Don't. I spent 3 months in World of Warcraft and it just isn't worth it. It gives nothing, you spend too much time in it, it costs money and it just leaves you feeling empty at the end of the day. Also, the MMO's are designed to make you spend more and more time in them forever. The more time you spend, the better you get. It's like a trap.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Mmos are brilliant, the friendships you make and the fun of playing as part of a team make this genre the best gaming experience there is, imo. You only pay while you play so it's not nearly as bad a financial outlay as people who don't play mmos make them out to be.

I would recommend you check out Eve as this is a truely great mmo. Meaningful PvP, or PvE if you prefer, plus a fantastic player base. This game is growing all the time and has largely eliminated the dreaded grind of other mmos.

http://www.eve-online.com/

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I'm going to try it again. Especially considering I already loose about 90% of my life to digital entertainment anyway why not go for the gold?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

MMOs are fine for a variety of things if you are into them.

They all largely revolve around level-grinding, multiplayer dungeon raids, and PvP. If you enjoy those things then play a MMO.

If you want story, variety, etc. then stay away from MMOs. And for all the postiive social experiences in an MMO, expect a bunch more of newbs begging for free gear, 1337 speak, cheating, annoying PKers when you are first starting out, etc.

If you really decide to commit to something, then go all the way. The only thing I can say is this:

Zhar - Those on the path of the dark side are not always lost forever.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Just get Guild Wars....No monthly fee :p"

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

MMOs are fine for a variety of things if you are into them.

They all largely revolve around level-grinding, multiplayer dungeon raids, and PvP.  If you enjoy those things then play a MMO.

If you want story, variety, etc. then stay away from MMOs.  And for all the postiive social experiences in an MMO, expect a bunch more of newbs begging for free gear, 1337 speak, cheating, annoying PKers when you are first starting out, etc.

Obviously you haven'y played Eve. In Eve there is no grinding, there are huge areas of the game that are essentially PvP free (if that is what you prefer) and the player base is nothing like how you portray it with leet speak and begging. The story behind Eve is complex, the variety of experiences huge, the players run the economy as well as being able to control various areas of space. The fleet battles are amazing and deadly, this game is everything mmos have promised but until Eve, failed to deliver. The only bad thing about Eve is how addictive it is.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

EVE is certainly a "free" game, in terms of free from restraint.

My friend had multiple contracts out on him, and got a gigantic mercenary guild targetting him.

The way he took out this one really powerful ship was fantastic. They were cornered in highly policed space, and since it was a Corporation War, the police didn't do anything. So they rushed him with many little ships that got annihilated, but didn't cost much money. Then they payed some independent guy a huge chunk of change to simply TARGET the big guy (since this would autotarget the smaller ship by the big guy).

Given that he was instantly attacking anyone that came up since they were all rushing him like crazy, when the independent targetted him, he fired back. This resulted in the space station and the millions of police patrols to get pissed at him, and my friend got the militia/military take out the big powerful ship for him.

I was impressed by his realization of the situation. I'm sure the guy that got wasted was pretty pissed :p

MMOs are not addictive. I can stop whenever I want, I tell you- I just don't want to.

Wheter you will feel that it gives you "nothing" or not by the end of the day depends on what you're after, really. There's no real finality in most MMOs- you never save the princess, you never get to watch the credits roll, and for every encounter there's a slightly more difficult one ahead. But then again, there's no sense of finality in The Sims, either- and akin to said game, the only final goal you might have in a MMO will be one you've come up for yourself.

That said, I enjoy WoW. I enjoy playing it, but I know that I will never enjoy "finishing" it. And I guess I'll continue with it until I don't find playing it enjoyable any more.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Oh, a con. I wasn't reading it like that.

Still, how does it cheat you out of money??

I played WoW for a few months, but lost interest and quit playing. The only reason why someone gets "addicted" to the game is because they are enjoying it.

Also, if anyone has access to it, PC Gamer ran an interesting article looking into the validity of the MMO's requiring a subscription fee. It was a good read.