DirectX10 Thoughts

EnderAndrew

Sooner or later, you have to ditch the years of luggage that backwards compatibility means and move on. That means leaving a few people behind but thats unavoidable.

Even Half-Life 2 only requires a DirectX 7 video card to actually play the game.

Bad, bad example... Source was made to work on low-end computers so that Valve could continue to milk the mod market.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes. But you could "move on" to a platform that doesn't screw you every 7 years or so.

A 7 year 'screwed' cycle isnt that bad, still I dont like what MS is doing at all.

Microsoft is just being greedy and trying to screw us over.  That is why I went console only.  I will never buy a Windows game ever again, bottomline.

*has seiszure*

Yes.. console only.. thats the way to go... yup.. not getting screwed there... no sir!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This is only about standards. If the developers actually used open standards, there would be a magnitude less porting problems. If they used fo example, a virtual machine setup like java or (god-forbid) C#, there would be even less, except a slower program on startup and some io operations, and many advantages.

You could say that microsoft is trying to do this, with this "redesign", separation of hardware and software and all that.

However this changes nothing of the fact that:

Microsoft standards are mostly closed.

When they are not, microsoft usually "extends" the "standard". Html and the "JMVM" are examples of this.

Even when they make a "program" like C# that could theoreotically help portability, there is a sword of damocles setup on the form of patents.

and license agreements.

One of those license agreements

Sub-licensing is the stipulation that enrages open-source advocates. If an open-source developer agrees to the license, the resulting implementation cannot be re-licensed under something like the General Public License (GPL). According to Herman, "the field of use (you get a license only to implement the standard for the purpose of conformance) and the prohibition on sub-licensing are inconsistent with the requirements of Sec. 7 of the GPL. Sec. 7 of the GPL says that if you do not have the rights to distribute the code as required under the GPL then you do not have the right to distribute at all. The GPL says you must have the rights to sublicense and to freely modify outside the field of use limitation."

This doesn't seem to aply to clean rooms implementations of C# (like mono) however,

if some team manages to make a VM that can run programs on another platform, microsoft can and will just "extend", or "deprecate" the standard (like, to be honest, sun did with generics when ibm made its VM).

So you see, it is portability ... between microsoft plattforms!

Vista allows you to have this pretty new interface with transperancy, except software like StyleXP and WindowBlinds have been offering that for years, and you if you really want to try out the official new interface, Microsoft is allowing it as a beta download for XP.

I even heard they will backport the shiny new GUI to XP. And some other API too...

Ah. The slaves of MicroShaft meekly obey the market leader.

Its rumored that microsoft might be considering to run OpenGl in an "emulation layer"

mapping to directx calls.

Which is slower than direct hardware access.

Thats convenient.

As far as I know the OpenGL stuff is provided in the driver of your graphic card, so I do not see how they could emulate this or find a way to destroy it with DirectX 10.

True enough, Mark. It would depend more if ATI and NVidia gives up on Open GL than Microsoft to see if Emulation would even be needed. The question remains is that can we have both DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 on the same computer. That way DirectX9 can take over on games and apps made for it while DirectX 10 can focus on newer games and apps requiring it.

This way no emulation would be necessary.

I gave up on PCs forever.  KOTOR:2 was my last PC game, and I can't believe that Obsidian ruined their image by not finishing or supporting the game.

Well, to be fair KOTOR2 was more a console port than a true PC CRPG, and it's not up to Obsidian to decide on releasing any additional patches or even finishing the game properly in the first place - that call lies with Lucasarts. I guess they could release an "unofficial" patch but I doubt their resources stretch that far so I wouldn't hold my breath.

As for Vista, I guess we have to wait and see whether it is the next XP - or the next ME! I am going to buy a new PC shortly when I get back to Oz but will just be using my current copy of XP Home until around the time Vista comes out - if it gets good reviews and there are more 64bit apps on the market, I might upgrade then.

I were wondering this : does someone has any link to a sure source stating all these things about DirectX 10 ?

Try this...

Interesting Direct X 10 Article

Seems Miscrosoft are trying to bully the graphics vendors a bit and make Open GL a thing of the past...no surprises there then!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MacleodCorp
Microsoft has finally saw sense and decided to drop Windows Graphic Foundation (WGF) and replace it with the more easier and logical DirectX 10 name for its next generation API.

The DirectX 10 API will have completely new and faster dynamic link libraries (DLLs) and is supposed to run much faster. The company decided to cut the backward compatibility with DirectX 9, 8, 7 and lower in this API but there will be a way to use games programmed for those APIs. Microsoft will enable support for DX 9 or lower games through a software layer, meaning it might run slower.

If I install DirectX 10 (when it comes out) I will actually decrease performance of games that use DirectX 9?

Personally, I think that would make me very reticent to purchase DirectX 10 games, or install DirectX 10 until I see overwhelmingly good reasons.

During the 1980s, computer programmers and designers created systems that were not compatible with each other. Microsoft came out on top, for they designed an OS that had universal compatibility. Unfortunatly, they will win out again. However, we could see another several years until computers become compatible with each other again. Last time, the computer industry bottomed out because of uncompatible technology. I can see another future problem when software repeates the same cycle. People will get smart and keep their computers longer, so they don't get pushed around by the big guy. However, I am like all the rest: If it is new, I buy it...

I just wonder if microsoft will try to 'probe'(spyware) my computer before they let you download it from their site again?

And make their spywarama .NET passport redundant? I doubt it.

Facts:

1. Ninjas are mammals.

2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.

3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.