Favorite Game Villan

Calax

1) those o' you who mentions the transcendent one gotta 'members that you is being asked for your favorite villain and not your favorite game's villain.  transcendent one were poorly developed, albeit for obvious reasons.

Yes, but TTO was a very notable exception in that basically TTO *was* TNO. And Torment did the best job out of any game I have known to develop the protagonist (TNO).

In a very real sense, developing TTO's personality was already done via TNO. Learning more about TNO through the game and his many incarnations translated effectively into learning more about TTO as well..

Any extra "development" of TTO would have been redundant.

not redundant... and hardly a real exception. tto were a seperate entity with its own goals... but it were, like many other crpg villains, very 1-dimensional. had one goal and no Character beyond that goal. as to being an exception... bah. external villains is most often metaphor kinda characters... the monsters we fight is truly the darkness within each man's soul and all that stuff. the fact that tto were simply an aspect of tno is one of those typical anime hooks; not really signifficant but it gots the kewl factor for the easily distracted/amused.

tno, on the other hand, were a protagonist character and as such, in spite of the development he got he too had to be left vague 'nuff so that different players could play him differently.

compare tno and tto to ravel. no more need be said, but we s'pose we is gonna have to eventually.

HA! Good Fun!

TTO was definitely a oine dimensioinial character... His suirvival instinct was his oinily moiitivatioin, juist like an animal. Juist like a proiiper wild animal he is even has a cage. (the foiritress oif regrets)

In any case, it is rare that we have a villain whoise oinily goial is to live, uinlike the many whoii are oibsessed with infinite poiwer/goidhoioid/wealth etc.

so? what is your point? seems lie you is kinda reaching... trying real hard to give tto something special that weren't there.

like ps:t all you want, but tto were a pretty weak adversary/villain.

ravel, on the other hand, had soul… coulda made a fantastic ubg.

HA! Good Fun!

Noinsense, I am noit reaching foir anything. I have already stated that TTO is a oine dimensioinal character. It seems yoiui are desperate toi find hidden meanings in my poisit in oirider toii make it fit in with yoiuir generalizatioins.

"Noinsense, I am noit reaching foir anything. I have already stated that TTO is a oine dimensioinal character. It seems yoiui are desperate toi find hidden meanings in my poisit in oirider toii make it fit in with yoiuir generalizatioins. "

what hidden meanings has we found or suggested? we can't find salient meanings much less hidden ones. tto is great not 'cause he were well developed but rather 'cause you liked the unique highlander-esque concept involved?

okie dokie.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I unfortunately haven't played most of these games, or any games with really nasty bad guys - except C&C and I completely agree about Cabul or however you spell it.

Only other person I could really think of is Polkovnik (later General) Aleksei Vasilliovich Guba, of Operation Flashpoint. Nasty swine. Though as I personally often end up fighting with the Russians, I dunno...nah, I still hate him, because he foolishly leads thousands of brave sons and daughters of the Rodina to unnecassary deaths. Takes a few thousand Imperialistic Pigs with him, but still, for no reason.

Bad, bad man.

And modelled after the chairman of Codemasters - which considering Bohemia Interactive's current dispute with Codemasters, seems rather ironic.

*Assumes absolutely everyone knows exactly what I am talking about...*

What other villian apart from perhaps Malak or Kreia can I think of...games I've played...

Michael Schumacher from the Grand Prix games. There's a villian for you :)

I unfortunately haven't played most of these games, or any games with really nasty bad guys - except C&C and I completely agree about Cabul or however you spell it.

Only other person I could really think of is Polkovnik (later General) Aleksei Vasilliovich Guba, of Operation Flashpoint. Nasty swine. Though as I personally often end up fighting with the Russians, I dunno...nah, I still hate him, because he foolishly leads thousands of brave sons and daughters of the Rodina to unnecassary deaths. Takes a few thousand Imperialistic Pigs with him, but still, for no reason.

Bad, bad man.

And modelled after the chairman of Codemasters - which considering Bohemia Interactive's current dispute with Codemasters, seems rather ironic.

*Assumes absolutely everyone knows exactly what I am talking about...*

What other villian apart from perhaps Malak or Kreia can I think of...games I've played...

Michael Schumacher from the Grand Prix games. There's a villian for you :huh:

>_<

Last I heard, the Schumacher bro's were vying for a Mario style franchise.

Favourite BIS villains:

The Luremaster (Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster)

- You only get the full story if you really read all the items you find there. All in all, great villain.

Ravel (Planescape: Torment)

- More interesting than TTO. More nuanced. Just as evil, really. But she's better developed.

And purely for voice acting awesomeness:

Tony Jay as Kresselack (Icewind Dale) and TTO (Planescape: Torment)

- This guy has such an incredible villain voice. It's fantastic.

Mike Tyson- there was something about him that really scared me.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

"Noinsense, I am noit reaching foir anything. I have already stated that TTO is a oine dimensioinal character. It seems yoiui are desperate toi find hidden meanings in my poisit in oirider toii make it fit in with yoiuir generalizatioins. "

what hidden meanings has we found or suggested?  we can't find salient meanings much less hidden ones.  tto is great not 'cause he were well developed but rather 'cause you liked the unique highlander-esque concept involved?

okie dokie.

HA! Good Fun!

Yes, tnoi was great merely in coincept.

I was referring toi yoiuir coiimment aboiuit me "kinda reaching... trying real hard to give tto something special that weren't there". Appreciating a coincept behind a character is noit trying hard toi give the character soimiething special. My poists in this toipic are statements oif my oipinioins, they are very simple in what they are saying and are thuis meant toi be taken at face valuie. Thuis it seems toi me that yoiui are deliberately misinterpreting what I have said.

"Appreciating a coincept behind a character is noit trying hard toi give the character soimiething special."

nope, but suggesting that the villain in question is great or the bestest simply 'cause you like the concept sure does seem like reaching to us.... whether you qualify as your opinion or not.

you like ps:t a great deal. therefore you says tto is your favorite villain. is not a surprise that you would say such a thing, but your reasoning is crap. maybe you should explore that rather than trying to rationalize.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Appreciating a coincept behind a character is noit trying hard toi give the character soimiething special."

nope, but suggesting that the villain in question is great or the bestest simply 'cause you like the concept sure does seem like reaching to us.... whether you qualify as your opinion or not.

you like ps:t a great deal.  therefore you says tto is your favorite villain.  is not a surprise that you would say such a thing, but your reasoning is crap.  maybe you should explore that rather than trying to rationalize.

HA! Good Fun!

My very first poist in this toiipic was me DISAGREEING that the ttoi was a great villain and arguiing that the practical incarnatioin was a muich better villain than the transcendent oinie. If I were toi make a list oif my favoiiuirite villains(oir even antagoinists) then the ttoi woiiuild noit even be in it. A majoirity oif these coimipuitier game antagoinists(at least froiim the games that I have played) doii noit even have a shred oif depth when coimpared toi the antagoinists froiimi soimie oif the boioiks that I have read.

Saying that I think that the coiinicept behind an antagoinist is goioid oir even great is NOIT the same thing as saying that the antagoinist is a great oir the best villain. It seems toi me that yoiuii are deliberately misinterpreting my poists becauise yoiui are trying toi proive that oither poisiters are juist voiting foiir the villains oif their favoiiuirite games and that yoiuire the oiinly oine intelligent enoiuigh noit toi fall foir this.

Favorite villian?

Those Rebel scum

Is this about Star Wars? I thought that Palpatine was the villanous one? (If I spelled his name accurately)

He's reffering to the one game where you were supposed to play as the empire, Tie Fighter

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

you like ps:t a great deal.  therefore you says tto is your favorite villain.  is not a surprise that you would say such a thing, but your reasoning is crap.  maybe you should explore that rather than trying to rationalize.

HA! Good Fun!

My very first poist in this toiipic was me DISAGREEING that the ttoi was a great villain and arguiing that the practical incarnatioin was a muich better villain than the transcendent oinie. If I were toi make a list oif my favoiiuirite villains(oir even antagoinists) then the ttoi woiiuild noit even be in it. A majoirity oif these coimipuitier game antagoinists(at least froiim the games that I have played) doii noit even have a shred oif depth when coimpared toi the antagoinists froiimi soimie oif the boioiks that I have read.

Saying that I think that the coiinicept behind an antagoinist is goioid oir even great is NOIT the same thing as saying that the antagoinist is a great oir the best villain. It seems toi me that yoiuii are deliberately misinterpreting my poists becauise yoiui are trying toi proive that oither poisiters are juist voiting foiir the villains oif their favoiiuirite games and that yoiuire the oiinly oine intelligent enoiuigh noit toi fall foir this.

you gotta reread some of your posts in this thread... and 'tween your broken keyboard and your busted english, Gromnir is lucky if he gets 1/2 of what you is trying to say... and we is exceptionally good at reading comprehension... even when dealing with the most limited o' authors.

go back to your first post 'bout tto... how many different ways you use term "good?" am not sure you knew what you meant by good by the end of the post. nevertheless, if you not think tto were a good villain, then why on earth did you defend?

in any event, if you concede that tto were a one-dimensional character with a less than unique concept and next to no development, then we see no reason to disagree with your enlightened and rational viewpoint.

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

you gotta reread some of your posts in this thread... and 'tween your broken keyboard and your busted english, Gromnir is lucky if he gets 1/2 of what you is trying to say... and we is exceptionally good at reading comprehension... even when dealing with the most limited o' authors.

go back to your first post 'bout tto... how many different ways you use term "good?" am not sure you knew what you meant by good by the end of the post. nevertheless, if you not think tto were a good villain, then why on earth did you defend?

HA! Good Fun!

First oif all, I have noit been typing in buisted english. My grammar is quiiite goioid. Shoiw me where my grammar has been wroing - and wroinig enoiuigh that the wroinig meaning might be derived froimi my poisit. By accuising me oif speaking in buisted english(which is a clearly a lie), yoiui are trying toi coiver uip yoiuir deliberate misinterpretatioin oifi my poists.

In my first poist, I clearly said that the transcendent one was a goioidi end boiss becauise oif the coinicept and coinisidering the rest oif the stoiry. And thinking a character is a goioid end boiss foir the game becauise oif the coincept and the way the coincept fits intoii its stoiry is different froimi thinking he is a great villain oir the best villain ever, or that he is a great character. In the poisit I clearly stated that the practical incarnatioin was a muich better villain, and poiinted oiuit soiimie oif the practical incarnatioins actioins that made me coinsider him a better villain.

Toi my poist, yoiui replied: "yeah, and a concept is all you need for a great character." I had never mentioined anything aboiiuit the TTO being a great character, soi I doii noit knoiw where yoiui goit this assuiimptioiin froimi.

When yoiui replied toii lancer that ttoi was a 1 dimensioinal character, I agreed and said that his character can be coimpared toi that oif a caged animal. Yoiiui then stated "seems lie you is kinda reaching... trying real hard to give tto something special that weren't there." Im noit suire hoiw coiimparing the character oif ttoi to that oif an animal quialifies as reaching toi give him soimething special.

in any event, if you concede that tto were a one-dimensional character with a less than unique concept and next to no development, then we see no reason to disagree with your enlightened and rational viewpoint.

I agree that TNOI was a oinie dimensioinal and uindeveloiped character. Buit I liked the coinicept behind him. Was it a uiniquie coincept? Im noit soi suire, toii be hoinest, buit I did find it refreshingly different.

Roshan and Gromnir arguing over confusing grammar. Ha! Good Fun! (Note, any relation between Eldar's Good Fun! and Gromnir's Good Fun! are purely coincidental.) :Eldar's good natured grin icon:

Oh, my favorite game villain was the one from Ultima IV.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"The transcendent oine was a goioid end boiss becauise he was yoiuir oiwn moiirtality, which was a great coincept coinisidering what the game was aboiuit. Hoiwever his oinily moiitivatioin was his instinct toi suirvive. Thuis he was noit evil, he was juist foilloiwing his basic animal instincts. Of coiuirse, he did doi soiimie evil things, buit I think that the transcendent oinie woiuild proiibably be moirie oifi a chaoitic neuitral character rather than an evil oinie. So the transcendent oine can hardly be coinisidered a goioid villain."

wanna play a game? count the grammar errors.

in any event, tto is a good endboss, but hardly a good villian and not necessarily evil but more like chaotic neutral...

yeah, you is poster child for clarity...

HA! Good Fun!