NHL 06 or NHL2k6?

Hurlshort

I've been trying to decide whether to buy EA's hockey game or Sega's. I'm getting it for the Xbox, and Sega's is $20 while EA's is $30. EA always has a much better Franchise mode, and that is important to me, but the last EA version had horrible gameplay and I switched to Sega. This year I tried the EA demo and it looks to be much improved. Which should I buy? The cost is really a non-issue.

Because I'm impatient and plan on getting it as soon as it reaches the store..plus why waste $10 renting the two games?

You would be "wasting" $10 now so that you don't waste twice or even three times that by buying a game that you end up hating. That's why you can rent games, to try them out to see if you like them. <_<

If you're that impatient why not just pick randomly? Any information you get from people here is likely to be subjective to the posters taste in games not to your taste in games. By renting the games before hand you know which one YOU like. The only one whose opinion matters on which game is good or not is yours. <_<

From what I've heard/read, EA is more about presentation (graphics, animations, etc) and an arcade-like feel while 2K6 is focussed more on realism (puck-cycling, dump-and-chase strategy) and simulation in the franchise mode.

That's not to say EA's game isn't realistic, I think it's just a bit more concerned with flash than 2K6. So I guess it's more a preference thing.

Me? I'm waiting for Eastide Hockey Simulator from SI Games. :cool:

I say go with EA. Aside from last year I thought the series has been great. The lack of create a player killed it for me last time around. I didn't mind the gameplay but I couldn't quite get the hang of the open ice controls.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'm getting whichever reaches my store shelves first. If I'm lucky, I'll be getting both (review copy).

I'll check the reviews around the net for these two though. I felt cheated when I bought NHL 2005 and Sega's NHL got much better reviews everywhere (and I felt NHL 2005 didn't quite impress me).

According to Gamerankings:

ESPN NHL 2k5: 86% average.

NHL 2005: 77% average.

Grr.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So far I've seen an 80% review for NHL 2006 from PC Gamer (which I don't really trust as a reviewer.) But I've played the PC demo, and the gameplay was much improved over last year's flop. I think I've made up my mind to stick with EA. Heck, I'll probably pick up the Sega one eventually anyways.

I'd really like to see a quality hockey title for my PSP. That Gretzky game was choppier than hell.

NHL 06: 7.6/10 from GameSpot

"It's got all the new rule changes, as well as an almost entirely up-to-date roster, but considering how similar the game is overall to 2005's version, you have to ask yourself, 'Is that really enough?'"

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/nhl06/review.html

NHL 2k6: 8.5/10 from GameSpot

"This franchise lives and dies by its gameplay, and on that front, it does not disappoint."

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/nhl2k6/review.html

I guess I've made my choice. I'm going for NHL 2k6 this year, because if there's one thing that really disturbs me about EA's line of sports games it's the fact that they're lazy and don't update the game enough from year to year. A new roster does NOT warrant $50!

. A new roster does NOT warrant $50!

Most of the stores in Canada that I've seen advertising the game actually have the price reduced this year. At Future Shop 06 is going for 29.99 if you preorder over the internet.

Thanks for the reviews.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Since I skipped out on 2005 after hearing that they ditched custom teams in dynasty mode and they axed create-a-player, hearing 2006 is just 2005 with updated rosters, graphics, rules, and re-added create-a-player and custom teams in dynasty mode makes me think I should grab it. Once it hits 15 bucks used at EB, which should be about 4 months after its released.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've been playing 2006 for about six hours now. Some of the new moves are pretty cool of you can actually get a little bit of room to use them. So far, my created player has 2G 4A in nine games. I just bagged an empty netter to seal the win against the Flames. Good Stuff!!

Graphically its alright, some of the player faces are pretty accurate. And I still have no clue about the open ice controls.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I seem to have found ways to score already. Need to find a goalie boost, or maybe just find ways to limit my shots on goal. I'm having good games, but they're like 8-7. But I'm playing with 10 minute periods. I don't really like the 5 minute periods personally, so maybe I'll slow the game down in order to compensate.

Mike Peca scored a Hat Trick and a short handed GWG against the Kings!

Nice work Mr. Peca. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come :D

EDIT: I like the fact that it's possible to get "lucky" goals now. Sakic scored a PP goal on me and it just kissed the inside of the post before going in. My first two goals Aebischer got a piece of it, but it still trickled in the net. :-

Are you playing 2006 or 2k6 Alanshu?

I got 2006 for the PC, because I was worried about roster updates and I don't have Xbox live. I lost my first game 4-3, buggers scored with less than a minute to go. Defense is pretty tough, and the AI cycles the puck well. So far it's good, but why does the interface look like it's made for a console? There is barely any mouse support.

I've been playing NHL 06 for a few hours now (I love being a reviewer sometimes), and I must say it's not as 'bad' as NHL 2005 was. There are perhaps not enough changes to differentiate it from the previous year, but there's enough to turn the game from an annoying experience to one where I can see myself having some fun. I do find the constant whining about "special moves" to be quite annoying this time around though. I'm not particularly interested in scoring 'between my legs', I just want to simulate a good game of hockey and feel myself getting better and better for every game. So far it's not happening. I lost my first game (against Ottawa) 5-2 and proceeded to get beaten by Montreal (!) 3-2 OT. Either I'm rusty or there's something I didn't quite get yet, because I've won every statistic in every match so far, but I just can't seem to score. Of course, Ottawa played Hasek and Montreal played Theodore (and both became First Star of the game) and I have on manual aim, but still.. Oh, and I play Toronto of course :lol:

I'm winless in my last three games, losing 6-4. 4-2 and 4-3 in overtime. But I'm having a great time doing so. I also scored a hat trick with Michael Peca ( it included a shorty too!).

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I suck at defense. I keep going for the big hits, and when I miss it leaves the forwards pretty open. I started on medium though, and scoring seems pretty balanced. Anyone trying hard? Does it just mean superhuman goalies, or is it actually realistic?

I'm about to try hard, although I find goalies on both sides tend to suck serious ass.

They flop like crazy, even if a pass gets blocked and is no loner crossing in front of the crease, they'll still flop across.

I've scored a few goals by trying to pass for the one timer, but it gets blocked right in front of me, but because I'm now hitting shoot, the player immediately shoots and since the goalie has flopped across my side of the net is now wide open.

As usual, scoring is way too high IMO. I'm averaging just over six goals a game, while averaging around 5 goals against per game. I'm demolishing the scoring race as a result, but my PK is 50%. I suppose I make up for it though as my PP is 54% :geek:

I was just violated by Boston 5-1. But i came back to have Mike Peca score the winna in overtime against the NYI. My character d man is second in scoring for his position.

I find a lot of my games are high scoring as well. Most of my goals are coming as a result of one timers, but I'm getting a lot better at spinning around from the side of the net and scoring high after faking to get the goalie to commit low.

A break is needed for me from this game, because my thumbs and wrists are getting mighty sore. And I can't see myself trying the hard level anytime soon. Most of the games I've played have been pretty close.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif