Free games!

Jumjalum

I thought it might be nice to have a thread full of great freebie games, so please post anything you've had a lot of fun with.

My choice is this remake of Chaos, a classic TB multiplayer game that I used to play endlessly on my old 48k Spectrum with friends. You basically each control a wizard who can cast a spell and then move each round on this one screen. The spells are mainly monster summoning spells, each of which have a plain but cool wee animation, destructive spells (eg lightning bolt) and other kinds of spells that influence the game. It was the first game (iirc) ever made by the Gollops, who went on to create the X-Com series, and it is still as much fun as it ever was. So long as you don't need super 3D graphics and you have some friends to play with you can have a lot of fun with this game. I'm still waiting for an internet version of Chaos, a promising version was being developed a few years ago but it was never finished or released to the public. You can download a more basic remake of it at the link below.

newchaos.gif

Chaos Funk download

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

ADOM.

IMHO one of the best roguelike games out there. Though it's hard as hell and I always seem to die even though I go to great lengths to "cheet teh gaym", so to speak. :-

More inf0z can be found here:

www.adom.de

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Ok. Here's my list. I will update it as much as possible.

Zelda Classic

Zelda Classic is a tribute to (what we think is) the greatest video game of all time: Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda. It has been developed into an exact replica of the NES version that we all know and love. Beyond that, Zelda Classic allows the development of new quests that can use either the traditional graphics or enhanced graphics, as well as new enemies, items, and challenges...

Karka says: Awsome. Just awsome.

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahriman's Prophecy

50+ Hours of gameplay, 40+ quests!

Amaranth Productions proudly introduces Ahriman's Prophecy, a beautiful fantasy world doomed to be destroyed by the demon, Ahriman.

In a desperate attempt to stop the prophecy, the Daughters of Light send you, a young but powerful magic wielder, on a difficult quest to unlock the secrets of the prophecy and hopefully, learn how to stop it.

If you enjoy classic RPGs like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, you're going to love Ahriman's Prophecy.

more...

Karka says: I love this game. Just give it a chance.

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Elder Scrolls: Arena

Arena started, as the name might suggest, as a medieval-style gladiator game. You had a team of fighters and went around the world fighting other teams in each city's arena until you became grand champion in the Imperial City.

The world used for Arena was Tamriel, the fantasy world created by a few members of the staff for use in their weekly D&D campaign. During development of Arena, more and more RPG elements were added -- what if you could walk around these cities? What if you could take your team into a dungeon? And soon it was clear what Arena needed to be -- a full-blown RPG.

Inspired by such games as Ultima Underworld and the unheralded Legends of Valour, Arena was now seen as a massive first-person RPG -- the game that recreated the pen-and-paper RPG experience -- be who you want and do what you want. For a long time Arena was a party-based game, where you lead a group of adventurers. This style of play proved less fun in first person, so Arena became a single character game.

Arena was to be the first chapter in an ongoing series of games, so the series took its name from Tamriel's mystical tomes of knowledge that told of its past, present, and future -- The Elder Scrolls.

Karka says: Err...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_anniv/te...anniv-arena.htm

Drag Racer

Karka says: It's a flash based free drag game. Quite enjoyable. I've played it 8-9 hours so far. There are two versions. Free one is offline.

http://www.dragraceronline.net/

http://dragraceronline.net/paypal.htm

White Chamber

the white chamber, is a point and click horror adventure game. Explore a strange environment crafted in luscious 2D. Control a trapped young woman from 3rd person perspective as she solves puzzles and overcomes the twisted obstacles in her path.

*  Mixing elements of visual and psychological horror to create a truly terrifying atmosphere

* Stunning 24-bit colour Anime-style graphics

* Hand drawn opening and ending animated cut-scenes

* Haunting soundtrack of ambient noise and disturbing sound effects

* Twisting mysterious storyline about obsession, murder and redemption

* Engaging gameplay of exploration and puzzle solving

* Four different endings and a selection of hidden easter eggs