Full Voice Acting in RPGS

roshan

There should be laws against eortic fanartists, too many times have my eyes and brain been polluted by the 'artistic' expressions of an obviously unsound mind.

Harry and Draco anyone? :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Not a big fan of foreign films then, GoA? Pity, the French make some brilliant ones, for example.

To be honest, no.

Although I shouldn't be completely absolute. In 99% of the cases, I'd rather have speech than text. However, there probably would be exceptions. I think it might also have to do with setting. I just can't see a game set in the Star Wars universe with subtitles only.

On the whole though, I prefer my games and movies to have speech rather than text.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Not a big fan of foreign films then, GoA? Pity, the French make some brilliant ones, for example.

To be honest, no.

Although I shouldn't be completely absolute. In 99% of the cases, I'd rather have speech than text. However, there probably would be exceptions. I think it might also have to do with setting. I just can't see a game set in the Star Wars universe with subtitles only.

On the whole though, I prefer my games and movies to have speech rather than text.

Are you saying that you don't use subtitles and that you understand Wookiee and Rodian and every other half-arsed gibberish that bubbled out of the empty space between GL's ears when he sneezed? :)

We'd better give you a cape, for you are Super-Fanboy. ;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Games are shorter and have less depth because of the rising costs of graphical and game development, primarily.  Likewise, the market has shifted such that the majority of gamers want a more streamlined game.  Love it or hate it, this is the case, and it really doesn't have anything at all to do with VO - it has far more to do with graphics and technology improvements in general.

I would just like to go on record saying that I hate it.

I would have rather read text rather than hear the same alien VO bits in KOTOR.

Agreed heartily. The alien bits were incredibly irritating.

That's not even full VO though, that's just soundclips. The repetitive alien clips would have been solved if Bioware had implemented 'true' full VO rather than just throwing in a couple irritating bits of gibberish.

A bit difficult to do that when the dialogue is gibberish in the first place, as Eru eloquently illustrates:

Gluupor wonky.    ;)

Given that I don't directly understand wookie speak, I'm not going to let it play in its entirety.

The only dialogues I "skipped" in KOTOR were the alien ones, because I knew they were repetitive and wouldn't have expected otherwise. 

I skipped every one.

Might as well have secondary characters in movies not talk either.

They might deliver poor acting for their parts!

Actually, a lot of films do precisely that if they are on a budget. :)

I would vote for poor films not being made in the first place. If it has a numeral suffix, then it automatically fails the test.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think Terminator 2 is just as good as Terminator :)

I think Lethal Weapon 2 is even better than Lethal Weapon ;)

I think Aliens (or Alien 2) is slightly better than Alien :mellow:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There should be laws against eortic fanartists, too many times have my eyes and brain been polluted by the 'artistic' expressions of an obviously unsound mind.

Harry and Draco anyone? :p

.....:lol:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

:lol:

Deviantart, tai miss

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

"Deviantart, or wherever the hell you saw it, really doesn't rock, or?"

Satisfied, non?

kirottu said:

Are you saying that you don't use subtitles and that you understand Wookiee and Rodian and every other half-arsed gibberish that bubbled out of the empty space between GL's ears when he sneezed?  :lol:

We'd better give you a cape, for you are Super-Fanboy. :luck:

That's kind of a ridiculous leap of logic, Meta. Obviously the subtitles remained on because of precisely those incidents when it was alien language.

But I was talking as a whole when I had the choice between speech in the English language, or text written in English, I prefer voice acting in my games.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Are you saying that you don't use subtitles and that you understand Wookiee and Rodian and every other half-arsed gibberish that bubbled out of the empty space between GL's ears when he sneezed?  :lol:

We'd better give you a cape, for you are Super-Fanboy. :*

That's kind of a ridiculous leap of logic, Meta. Obviously the subtitles remained on because of precisely those incidents when it was alien language.

But I was talking as a whole when I had the choice between speech in the English language, or text written in English, I prefer voice acting in my games.

Ah, I was just messing with ya, n00bi3. :p

I think Terminator 2 is just as good as Terminator :luck:

I think Lethal Weapon 2 is even better than Lethal Weapon :wub:

I think Aliens (or Alien 2) is slightly better than Alien ;)

I can name

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I didn't mind the voice acting in KotOR and such, but the voice actors they've been hiring for the english versions of Japanese RPGs have been atrocious.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

:)

Deviantart, tai miss

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I skipped every one.

That's nice.

Since you put it so eloquently though: "Exceptions prove the rule."

It was a balance to your sweeping generalisation, not a new proposition to establish the contra position. I was pointing out the flaw in your all-encompassing statement about how you listened to them all (with the concommitant implication that "most people listen to most of them").

Sure the background comments in Deus Ex are good. But think how bad they'd be if they weren't done right.

Quality: good.

Crap: bad.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I didn't mind the voice acting in KotOR and such, but the voice actors they've been hiring for the english versions of Japanese RPGs have been atrocious.

In some cases, they work out pretty good, considering it's a situation that's more fun in japanese than in english. But in other, like Xehla in in Baten Kaitos, it just sounds like they're reading it from a paper directly, completely unaware of the situation that their character is in(A character with a mortal wound can tell a 5 minute monologue without a single cough).

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Anyone here play Shadowhearts?

The first climax of the game as the mastermind behind it all escapes, your character stands on the top of the tower and screams to the world "Baconnnnnnnnnnn!"

If you don't laugh, you cry.

Feel free to steal this sig.

Anyone here play Shadowhearts?

The first climax of the game as the mastermind behind it all escapes, your character stands on the top of the tower and screams to the world "Baconnnnnnnnnnn!"

If you don't laugh, you cry.

Awesome.

Anyway, one major gripe about it in JRPGs is that in most cases, you can't skip the dialogue. I can read a LOT faster than it takes someone to speak the lines. So half the time I'm finished the paragraph and they're still speaking the first line, and I have to sit there and wait until they're done their woodspeak before I can get on with the game. I liked how Onimusha had the option to have the japanese voice acting with subtitles(yes I know it wasn't an RPG, but it was a good feature), or Star Ocean: Until the End of Time had the option to turn off voices.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg