KOTOR First Impressions.....

roshan

So far Ive been playing kotor and it seems to be an ok game. The quests are good since they require you to make moral decisions, with the choice you make affecting your alignment, which is good. The writing of the dialogue is average and is on par with other bioware games. However it seems that the game has departed from the baldurs gate 2 style dialogues where you get the same reply no matter what option you select, which is anoither good thing.

The worst part of the game however is the repetitive combat that seems to be a feature of most bioware games. In baldurs gate 1, you fought the same wolf or the 3 gibberlings over and over again..... In tob, the same mage fight again and again. Nwn was filled with repetitive fights. For example in the district which was overrun by prisoners you have to keep going through the same battle again and again with the same prisoners. Kotor has maintained this bioware tradition. The game was actually enjoyable until I got to the lower city. Then things started to degenerate. The same battle with the vulkar gang members kept occuring, followed by the same battle again and again with the rakghouls, then those green aliens in the sewers. Now I am in the military base and it seems that I will be fighting the same sith soldiers for several more hours. This has made the game unberably boring for me.

While the roleplaying seems to be the best of any bioiware game so far, in fact, it seems to be much better than the rest, the combat, which forms a huge portion of the game, is extremely boring.

Another problem is that a lot oif the graphics are repeated again and again. This makes the areas very boring to explore as many rooms, dooris etc look the same. For example the north and south upper taris are exactly the same except turned around, and the cantinas in upper and lower taris are the same down to each furniture, and in the sewers you keep seeing the same round room with the 3 exits, and the entire taris seems toi use the exact same gates/doors. Due to this I never know where I am and always get lost oir turned around.

Does it get any better, or will most oif the game consist of playing the same battles again and again in areas which all look pretty much the same?

It gets better. Most people seem to really like Taris, I personally thought it was kinda boring once you got to the lower city. Once you get off Taris the game picks up a bit more. You get your lightsaber and force powers and combat gets a bit more varied.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Taris (and especially the undercity) are the most boring parts of the game.

Your observations are valid for the whole game, however. The artwork is very repetitive (and one of the main issues OE picked up on in the sequel).

It will be much better once you leave Taris. (Some people, myself included, have attempted (successfully) to do Taris without levelling up the PC; this doesn't make the combatants easier (like in K2), though, so it is quite a challenge.)

Persanlly I hated the Rakghouls.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Personally I like Korribon the best, It seemed to have a lot more complexity than the other planets. I just know that the others will take pot shots at me for that one.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Sure, it gets better after Taris. The rest of the game is still full of dungeons.

I really don't understand why Bio puts so much combat, especially combat in dungeons in their games. You'd think they'd realize how unfun it is in their games.

Well, the combat suffers because I don't think they are confident enough (or sure enough of themselves) to be decisive. It is neither hard nor useful, just a way to make the passage of transition from one area to the next.

They could just as esaily make the game without (most of) the combat and it would play the same. But then all the wannabe Sith/Jedi-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Personally I like Korribon the best, It seemed to have a lot more complexity than the other planets. I just know that the others will take pot shots at me for that one.

I loved Korriban too. Sure the whole planet was one huge dungeon, but I liked the art and the sights. Not to mention the whole sithiness. It just oozed atmosphere, unlike most of the other planets. By this I don't mean that I somehow favor dark themes. :thumbsup: Korriban was just more interesting because you had to think like your enemies.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

And hey; that certain purplish-white twi'lek was certainly a bonus.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Make an educated guess. :thumbsup:

kirottu said:

Another problem is that a lot oif the graphics are repeated again and again. This makes the areas very boring to explore as many rooms, dooris etc look the same. For example the north and south upper taris are exactly the same except turned around, and the cantinas in upper and lower taris are the same down to each furniture, and in the sewers you keep seeing the same round room with the 3 exits, and the entire taris seems toi use the exact same gates/doors. Due to this I never know where I am and always get lost oir turned around.

Couldn't agree more. For me, this was the worst aspect of the game.

It gets better. Most people seem to really like Taris, I personally thought it was kinda boring once you got to the lower city. Once you get off Taris the game picks up a bit more. You get your lightsaber and force powers and combat gets a bit more varied.

Actually, Im noit really boithered by the oiiptioins alloiwied toii the player. My proiblem is that the exact same enemies keep repeating. Even with different optioins available, there woiint be muich need toi utilize them uinless there are different enemies requiiring different strategies.

Sure, it gets better after Taris. The rest of the game is still full of dungeons.

I really don't understand why Bio puts so much combat, especially combat in dungeons in their games. You'd think they'd realize how unfun it is in their games.

Well if is still fuill oif duingeoins then it is goiiing toi be a very boiring game indeed...

Well, the combat suffers because I don't think they are confident enough (or sure enough of themselves) to be decisive. It is neither hard nor useful, just a way to make the passage of transition from one area to the next.

They could just as esaily make the game without (most of) the combat and it would play the same. But then all the wannabe Sith/Jedi-

The combat is boring and doesn't get any better. The art keeps getting recycled, and the dialogue isn't great.

The characters got a bit annoying.

People love KOTOR because of the plot. When you beat the game, and can comment on the plot, you may enjoy the game more. But I think KOTOR on the whole is decent, but overrated.

The combat is boring and doesn't get any better.  The art keeps getting recycled, and the dialogue isn't great.

People love KOTOR because of the plot.  When you beat the game, and can comment on the plot, you may enjoy the game more.  But I think KOTOR on the whole is decent, but overrated.

sounds like HALO....

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The combat is boring and doesn't get any better.  The art keeps getting recycled, and the dialogue isn't great.

People love KOTOR because of the plot.  When you beat the game, and can comment on the plot, you may enjoy the game more.  But I think KOTOR on the whole is decent, but overrated.

Ditto. Plot didn't do anything for me at all but I think overall it presented a reasonable Star Wars "experience".