KOTOR I's Jedi Robes & KOTOR II's Jedi Robes

Guest MacleodCorp

Guest MacleodCorp

KOTOR Jedi Robes & KOTOR II Jedi Robes

Question about timeline and robes evolution!

In KotOR I there are these really cool Jedi Robes, which remind me of vintage 'Knights' robes from Medievil times. Now, KotOR I occured five years before KotOR II, and Episode I occured 4,000 years after KotOR I. Why did the Jedi Robes evolve greatly in just five years, but they do not evolve at all over 4,000 years?

I sence a distrurbance in the force!?

I prefered K2 robes. Too bad you can't take off the robe part and keep the part underneath, especially for boss battles (like they do in pretty much all the prequel movies)

How they evolved, I don't know.

(and is there a way to get K2 robes in K1?)

I always understood that robes in K1 look the way they do because of the limitations of the engine; it was never intended to give the impression that the Jedi robes "evolved" between KotOR and the OT.

With K2 the engine was given a lick of paint: weather effects, movie-style robes and a few new ATi problems...

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

I'll tell you why the sudden change in Jedi Robes... because Obsidian lacked creativity during the development of KOTOR II. Although I'm more used to the robes from KOTOR II because of the Star Wars movies, KOTOR is supposed to be set in a totally different time. So, it was interesting to see the Jedi "robes" in KOTOR I. But if Obsidian could rip something from the movies, that's what they did. Many examples are seen throughout the game: G0-T0, various quotes, Jedi robes... they just couldn't resist. Don't get me wrong, I totally enjoy KOTOR II, but I think there's too much reference to the movies in it.

No, not at all.

The only reason the robes in KOTOR weren't like the one in the movies, is because of the engine. They were able to change that for TSL. It has absolutely nothing to do with the different time setting.

If they had been able to, KOTOR's robes would have looked like the ones in TSL.

I don't think that there were too many references to the movies, especially not in regard to quotes. It has nothing to do with ripping something from the movies, they are just using things that are known to star wars fans. And there is a good reason for it, it is a Star Wars game! :blink:

Guest MacleodCorp
Another reason they arent different in the films is because the Jedi would have kept to tradition, and like someone else mentioned, they are just simple robes. How could they possibly change?

So!?!?! What you are telling me is that evolution in clothing never happens?

Guest MacleodCorp
No, not at all.

The only reason the robes in KOTOR weren't like the one in the movies, is because of the engine. They were able to change that for TSL. It has absolutely nothing to do with the different time setting.

If they had been able to, KOTOR's robes would have looked like the ones in TSL.

I don't think that there were too many references to the movies, especially not in regard to quotes. It has nothing to do with ripping something from the movies, they are just using things that are known to star wars fans. And there is a good reason for it, it is a Star Wars game! :thumbsup:

So!?!? The robes in KotOR I are flawed design?

Guest MacleodCorp
So!?!? You're a feisty young man aren't you? As has already been said by Wastl, KOTOR's engine wasn't capable of the snazzy robes TSL sported. It's over analysis on your part, it doesn't really have a detrimental impact on the game either, does it?

LOl... Yeah, I can see that happening. When it comes to timelines stuff, I think it makes a tremendous impact. I wonder what grade some of these posters are in, for they seem to buy into anything...

I think they probably put a greater variety of robes or Jedi-friendly armour in Kotor 2 as a response to feedback from Kotor fans. With all the problems with the ending and the rushing of Kotor 2, sometimes we tend to forget that Obsidian made a lot of improvements, and many of these were in direct response to what fans were saying about Kotor 1: more robes, more upgrading, bringing back favourite characters, and so on. I appreciated the variety of robes a lot - great fun to wear a Jedi master robe and have two newly-Jedified followers running after you in padawan robes. It just felt right. :thumbsup:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm sure Bioware would've included K2 robes if they could get it into K1.

Besides, here's a perfectly reasonable explanation(s):

1. They forgot the robes at home. So they only wore the tunics

2. The wore the robe over the tunic, or wore clothes (Zez-Kai Ell) to disguise the fact they were Jedi.

Overall, the robes were well done, except for the ones below (dark) Jedi Knight robes, which I thought weren't brown enough and too redish.

Im not saying that. Im saying how can robes be changed completely in the future? Change the colour to lime green? Add a jazi pattern? Make them skin tight? The robes arent completely the same in KOTOR 2 as they are in the films, they have changed slightly, but I highly doubt the Jedi would spend time designing new robes just to keep up with fashion.

Guest MacleodCorp

Im not saying that. Im saying how can robes be changed completely in the future? Change the colour to lime green? Add a jazi pattern? Make them skin tight? The robes arent completely the same in KOTOR 2 as they are in the films, they have changed slightly, but I highly doubt the Jedi would spend time designing new robes just to keep up with fashion.

That was my arguement... Between KotOR I and KotOR II there should have been slight changes. From KotOR II and Episode I, in between the time between periods, there should have been gradual changes, which ultimatly lead up to the Episode I style. Between KotOR I and KotOR II, the robes didn't evlove into the movie style they jumped. Even though the design of the KotOR II robes are fun and cool, the evolution to that stage in robes happened over five years. If you think about it, the robes should have taken a slighter transition from KotOR I's style. Other words, there would still be traces of the KotOR I style in KotOR II's.

Guest MacleodCorp
the robes were way better in TSL however the headgear was still ugly, hopefully in a third one the robes and head gear/masks will evolve further

I hear yeah! :)

Please keep on track, for this is about the evolutions of the Jedi Robes.

I can't believe this is being seriously discussed...

That was my arguement... Between KotOR I and KotOR II there should have been slight changes. From KotOR II and Episode I, in between the time between periods, there should have been gradual changes, which ultimatly lead up to the Episode I style. Between KotOR I and KotOR II, the robes didn't evlove into the movie style they jumped. Even though the design of the KotOR II robes are fun and cool, the evolution to that stage in robes happened over five years. If you think about it, the robes should have taken a slighter transition from KotOR I's style. Other words, there would still be traces of the KotOR I style in KotOR II's.

DarthMacLeod, Why do you insist that the robes must have evolved?

You are reading way too much into a very small part of a video game.

You might as well discuss why the weather was always perfect in Kotor, while TSL had weather effects. Was it a galaxy wide climate shift? :rolleyes:

Guest MacleodCorp
I can't believe this is being seriously discussed...

DarthMacLeod, Why do you insist that the robes must have evolved?

You are reading way too much into a very small part of a video game.

You might as well discuss why the weather was always perfect in Kotor, while TSL had weather effects. Was it a galaxy wide climate shift? :lol:

My theory is that the robes have not evolved between KotOR II and Episode I. We are only having fun in speculating about temperal mechanics.

I just consider the K1 robes to be the "under robes" while the K2 ones are the ones you always associate with the Jedi.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.