Starship Troopers Demo!

213374U

So wait, this is based after the first movie?? I didnt even know there was 2 movies until reading this. :devil:

Sounds good, can't be bothered to download it though. :rolleyes:

Edited by petay12

Did you guys have problems with the sound?

It sorta pulses in and out all the time!

Plus I keep dying before I can retrieve "the items" (when you walk out solo) - outta ammo!

Before you go out by yourself try looking around the compound for some extra ammo to load up on. Don't forget about your secondary fire modes as well. If you run out of ammo the basic machine gun has unlimited ammo if you need it although you can only fire for so long before it has to "recharge". I found that the second machine gun that you have more effective at range than the "recharge" version so that might help you somewhat. Try not to run out of ammo when bugs are attacking you though. They do a lot of damage quickly and it takes a long time to reload, so it's probably best to reload after every kill or two.

Also remember to aim properly. Once I got the hang of the different weapons I made it through the demo no sweat as long as I din't do anything stupid like let the tiger bugs surround me. They kill you very quickly... :thumbsup:"

Unimpressive graphics, mild control lag (not as bad as the unpatched version of DX2 though), and the demo map isn't too good either. The game captures the atmosphere of the movie well, so it's not completely worthless.

Only a great co-op mode can save this game from mediocrity, I'm afraid.

N

I find the fact that Heinlein though America, Europe, and Russia would try to gang up on China incredibly funny considering they were all at each others throats. Also the fact that his chosen government couldn't work except for in a time of war. Any government that is based around war and the military will eventually fail unless they have a war going almost constantly (I'm reading the book again. Just got to the entrance into OCS)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Also the fact that his chosen government couldn't work except for in a time of war. Any government that is based around war and the military will eventually fail unless they have a war going almost constantly (I'm reading the book again. Just got to the entrance into OCS)

Yeah, but try to understand what you read this time. :thumbsup:

In the book, the government isn't based around war or has the military as its backbone. It's just a meritocracy. Simple, really.

But yeah, it probably wouldn't work. Something to do with the inherent stupidity of humankind, I guess. :rolleyes:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Also the fact that his chosen government couldn't work except for in a time of war. Any government that is based around war and the military will eventually fail unless they have a war going almost constantly (I'm reading the book again. Just got to the entrance into OCS)

Yeah, but try to understand what you read this time. :thumbsup:

In the book, the government isn't based around war or has the military as its backbone. It's just a meritocracy. Simple, really.

But yeah, it probably wouldn't work. Something to do with the inherent stupidity of humankind, I guess. :rolleyes:

And yet he want's you to have to serve in the military before you can vote. Were this to happen then you'd have a serious problem actually getting a represtentation of what the people really want. Vet's tend to lean towards the right wing. thus the Military would be recieving Cold War levels of budget while the domestic side of things is handled with an Iron fist. Eventually within a few decades maximum a group of relativly stupid people would find themselves with guns and decide to revolt. The revolt would be put down with rather ruthless efficency because they seem to follow Tarkins ideal of "rule through Fear of force rather than force itself" and use the idiots as an example. Only problem is that there would be some people who would become disenchanted with the state of things who were smarter than the first batch and end up subverting the system and eventually after a large amount of planning take a strategic center. Maybe with the help of a few vets who were family but felt impotent because they were drowned out by the rest of the world. thus a full blown civil war would be on and the military would get the upper hand initially but from what we've seen in history, when it comes to war humanity learns fast. thus the rebels would be able to figure out how to kill MI and start to really get momentum until things ended with either two states or with the entire system fractured into several small pieces. ONe state would remain the same as it had always been (this is the origional "federation") the others would be based off of the previous more successful governments who would end up becoming dominant because they had a much higher industrial capacity. Eventually, because humanity is inherently aggressive, sombody would set off a second war and the federation would get beaten through the ground by the more capable groups. The federation would be analogous to Japan and the other state/states would be the US in terms of WWII.

A side note: this is a situation i just came up with in the past five minutes so... I expect it to be flawed.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Vet's tend to lean towards the right wing.

LOL

Proof, Please?

thus the Military would be recieving Cold War levels of budget while the domestic side of things is handled with an Iron fist.

In the book, it's STILL the civilians that rule, remember? Civilians that had spent a minimum of two years in the army.

Eventually within a few decades maximum a group of relativly stupid people would find themselves with guns and decide to revolt. The revolt would be put down with rather ruthless efficency because they seem to follow Tarkins ideal of "rule through Fear of force rather than force itself" and use the idiots as an example.

Why revolt against it? After all, anyone can participate. Ironically, the rebels would be the fascists in that case, as they would be trying to change the establishment (a meritocratic establishment) by means of force. Thus, violent repression would be warranted. That's how civil wars are started, you know.

But I don't think you understood the book very well. The "Tarkin doctrine" doesn't make an appearance at all in the book, as everyone keeps their individual rights and freedoms intact, only political privileges are restricted, in exchange for two years of service. A fair trade if you ask me.

Only problem is that there would be some people who would become disenchanted with the state of things who were smarter than the first batch and end up subverting the system and eventually after a large amount of planning take a strategic center. Maybe with the help of a few vets who were family but felt impotent because they were drowned out by the rest of the world. thus a full blown civil war would be on and the military would get the upper hand initially but from what we've seen in history, when it comes to war humanity learns fast. thus the rebels would be able to figure out how to kill MI and start to really get momentum until things ended with either two states or with the entire system fractured into several small pieces. ONe state would remain the same as it had always been (this is the origional "federation") the others would be based off of the previous more successful governments who would end up becoming dominant because they had a much higher industrial capacity. Eventually, because humanity is inherently aggressive, sombody would set off a second war and the federation would get beaten through the ground by the more capable groups. The federation would be analogous to Japan and the other state/states would be the US in terms of WWII.

This is sci-fi. And not very thrilling at that.

I strongly recommend you use paragraphs next time, it will make your post slightly more readble.

But let's not spam this thread with this, as it's not about Heinlein's work but the somewhat disappointing FPS soon to be released.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.