dark alliance 3

pants_happy

That is why I did not play it nor have any intention to get it.  Even at twice as long the game still wouldn't be worth the money.

I guess console gaming will be your cup of tea now that you'd jumped ship. They're well known for their 50+ hour games :rolleyes:

I have only ever seen one series that was over 50 hrs, and that was FF... he doesn't seem like the Final Fantasy type.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Ultima ][ was the best Ultima.

That is crazy talk!

The Ultima historians almost pretend it doesn't exist. Richard Garriot admits that he really wishes he could take much of it back, what with the time-travel and all.

But ... Ultima ][ was the only one released when I was in high school ... :blink:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The only Ultima that I played prior to VI was IV.

While I enjoyed it, I was used to the Ultima experience of the later games (particularly VII) so it wasn't really what I expected.

I tried playing Ultima I but didn't particularly enjoy it.

I'm rather glad many of the D&D setting games don't specifically adhere to the D&D rules.

It makes for a less tedious game, and opens them up to other markets.

I see no reason why a game set in a D&D setting must adhere to the D&D rules. I don't recall Drizzt rolling any d20s in his books.

Because its D&D you idiot.

I blame the damn novels for the sheer amount of trash we end up having in the rules, I abandoned FR because it seen the only thing that advanced the setting was the novels as the setting designers appear to taking a break.

D&D rules also usuall work, unlike the bastardizations we usually see in cRPGs ... heck there is damn good reason why FR:DS flop despite having R.A. Salvatore writting the story, PATRICK STEWART !!!, thong wearing drow females and its gameplay being based on the LotR "cRPGs" games ...

drakron.png

D&D rules also usuall work, unlike the bastardizations we usually see in cRPGs ... heck there is damn good reason why FR:DS flop despite having R.A. Salvatore writting the story, PATRICK STEWART !!!, thong wearing drow females and its gameplay being based on the LotR "cRPGs" games ..

I fail to see where the rules comes into effect for why FR:DS was a flop.

You don't need a D&D ruleset to play in a D&D setting IMO. A setting is a setting, and if someone made an RPG that was unequivocally the best, most diverse and open ended RPG with a tight story and tons of roleplaying options and variety, I wouldn't chastize it if it didn't strictly adhere to the D&D rules.

If the game's fun, it's fun.

D&D rules also usuall work, unlike the bastardizations we usually see in cRPGs ... heck there is damn good reason why FR:DS flop despite having R.A. Salvatore writting the story, PATRICK STEWART !!!, thong wearing drow females and its gameplay being based on the LotR "cRPGs" games ..

I fail to see where the rules comes into effect for why FR:DS was a flop.

You don't need a D&D ruleset to play in a D&D setting IMO. A setting is a setting, and if someone made an RPG that was unequivocally the best, most diverse and open ended RPG with a tight story and tons of roleplaying options and variety, I wouldn't chastize it if it didn't strictly adhere to the D&D rules.

If the game's fun, it's fun.

I agree, and I largely prefer to play in a fantasy setting with a different ruleset such as Exalted or Earthdawn. However, when you buy a game that says D&D on the box, I expect it to feature the D&D rules so you know what you are getting.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is the worse console game I have ever played and I have played quite a number of them over the 20 years of gaming.

I thought you hadn't owned a console since the Xbox you bought a couple months ago, becuase you were "going to be a PC gamer for a very^10 long time"?

So that's what, 20 years of gaming 19 3/4 of which you didn't own a console to play console games on? :ermm:"

In the past I have owned and had access to an Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Nitendo 8 bit, Nitendo 16 bit, Sony Playstation, Sony Playstation 2, and Microsoft X Box. I prefered PC over console but I have owned and had access to consoles.

I don't recall Drizzt rolling any d20s in his books.

I haven't personally read any of the books, but from what some of my friends tell me, the ruleset is an ever-present, underlying framework for the books. The way spells work, for instance. Hell, that Salvatore guy even had to change some of his stuff to make it consistent with the change from 2nd Ed. to 3rd.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I haven't personally read any of the books, but from what some of my friends tell me, the ruleset is an ever-present, underlying framework for the books. The way spells work, for instance. Hell, that Salvatore guy even had to change some of his stuff to make it consistent with the change from 2nd Ed. to 3rd.

The older reference is that R.A. Salvatore had access to the 2nd ed ranger class before it was published and so made Drizzt (first featured in "The Crystal Shard") around the unpublished 2nd ed Ranger but there are several 1st edition "oddities" on the novel since the 2nd edition was not completed and Salvatore unlikely had access to all of the incomplete ruleset.

Due to Drizzt success some point fingers saying Drizzt created the 2nd ed Ranger as its the way around.

From what I recalled he changed little with 3rd edition since there was not many changes, most is simply cosmetic.

Nothing like some novel I read about some half elf girl that ends up as a cleric of two goddess ... nothing like completly ignore the character generation chapter of FRCS ...

drakron.png

I'd actually like to see a company as promising as obsidian turn the BG:DA series or something similar to it into something the true cRPG fans want without making it a point-click-pause-pick spell-select target-unpause-repeat game.

Wait, cRPG fans want a point-click-pause-pick spell-select target-unpause-repeat game. DOH! >.<

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

In the past I have owned and had access to an Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Nitendo 8 bit, Nitendo 16 bit, Sony Playstation, Sony Playstation 2, and Microsoft X Box.  I prefered PC over console but I have owned and had access to consoles.

You could have just said every major console except N64 and Gamecube. Save you some time :-

I'd actually like to see a company as promising as obsidian turn the BG:DA series or something similar to it into something the true cRPG fans want without making it a point-click-pause-pick spell-select target-unpause-repeat game.

Wait, cRPG fans want a point-click-pause-pick spell-select target-unpause-repeat game. DOH! >.<

whaiiiiit a sec... he's a mod? when did he become a mod?

:ahem: Played it, didn't like it because it didn't reward me for trying to find everything like in a normal RPG. I would search every passage every route everything and would get nothing but the possibilty of death, really got on my nerves...

Oh, I missed one.  I owned a Gamecube for a while to play the Resident Evil games.  :rolleyes:

What? No megadrive or saturn. How's about the handhelds? Gameboy, Lynx, PSP...

Personally I started playing DA2 again recently (for a short while) and there is so much i hate about it. I dislike the graphics, the POV, the controls, most of the characters and their skills - Vhaidra is good but all the others starting ones wind me up (haven't played with Drizzt or the trenchcoated one, who has obviously just visited a brothel - hence his attire, to develop a serious dislike of them yet) and above all the repetitive missions and lack of any decent city setting such as those in BG, ToSC and BG2:SoA. Even Icewind dale had fairly decent towns settings (the music was pretty damn good at least!) and that was a repetitive and boring game too!