Old Black Isle board

kirottu

Mind you, between BGII and ToB, my experiences from putting forum member tributes into games has taught me only one thing: it's really best not to do that.

I agree with your conclusion. Aside from the possibility that you might accidentally offend the one being tributed, you also run the risk of breaking the fourth wall and spoiling immersion for the more serious players. It's a bit like encountering a local news headline in the middle of a good book; sorta spoils the mood. Or to be really tragic, like Christopher Reeve's character in "Somewhere in Time", when he's experiencing the love of his life and is suddenly torn away because of something that literally breaks his fourth wall and ultimately causes his death.

I didn't recognize the name "Lanfear" from anywhere, so she was just another crazy werewolf to me. On the other hand, "Kcolssed" in BG was obvious; my first thought on seeing him was "what is this game reviewer doing in my game?" I later removed him with an editor.

Edited by Wistrik

It'd be funny to walk into a bar in Neverwinter and see Hades, Volo, Meta, and Cano (if he still posted here regularly) bickering about local politics.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I only came here because a friend of mine is featured in the NWN2 Credits. Kind of nice considering we never got credited in IWD2.

As for the old BIS community and all that, I think Linkin Parks "In The End" describes that pretty well for me. In the end it doesn't really matter.

Good luck to all of you out there.

Does anyone have these any more?

I only have this one.  :p

I have:

LOL

Rules Lawyer

Skool'd

This Thread Sucks

You Lose

:)

You Win

No I don't have you win. :p I have added Drama and Nice Theory to my collection. :)

I could add to your collections, if you want...

I have:

Bury This Thread

Drama

Fanboy

No

Point Not Found

Radical

Ruleslawyer

This Thread Sucks

Troll

Trolling

Wrong Forum

You Lose

You Win

And: ah, those were the days :p

My only regret from those old boards (the pre-BGII days) was that I think Lanfear was a bit offended by her appearance in BGII. She never contacted me about it, but I had several others mention it... and it's too bad, as I'd intended it only as a tongue-in-cheek tribute. She was always kinda crazy about Coran, after all, and she's one of the main reasons that he was in BGII at all.

Mind you, between BGII and ToB, my experiences from putting forum member tributes into games has taught me only one thing: it's really best not to do that.

Ah, well.

David Gaider

Witer, Bioware corp.

big surprise that the german chick turned out to be humorless?

Gromnir were never a huge fan o' lanfear, but we started to dislike her right 'bout time that the submit-a-character contest board meltdown occured. she were one of the peoples complaining rather than congratulating.

oh well, is probably not right for Gromnir to be critical when she is no longer 'round to defend herself.

HA! Good Fun!

btw, coran were a terrible bg1 Character. coran gots more backstory than any other joinable npc, but it turns out that he is a deadbeat dad w/o real regrets? we actually felt bad 'bout saving him in bg2.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I have:

Bury This Thread

Drama

Fanboy

No

Point Not Found

Radical

Ruleslawyer

This Thread Sucks

Troll

Trolling

Wrong Forum

You Lose

You Win

And: ah, those were the days  :)

I actually lost them all last time I reformated, which was after that post that you quoted, but thanks to Sargy I now have the complete set. Do you have both LOL versions? :(

I have:

Bury This Thread

Drama

Fanboy

No

Point Not Found

Radical

Ruleslawyer

This Thread Sucks

Troll

Trolling

Wrong Forum

You Lose

You Win

And: ah, those were the days  :)

I actually lost them all last time I reformated, which was after that post that you quoted, but thanks to Sargy I now have the complete set. Do you have both LOL versions? :(

Nope. And neither do I have the Skool'd one...

...the submit-a-character contest board meltdown occured....

*shudder* I remember that. A whole bunch of people behaved really badly, IMHO... not that I ever wore a halo myself, but that was just... wrong. Not the old board's finest hour, for sure.

btw, coran were a terrible bg1 Character.  coran gots more backstory than any other joinable npc, but it turns out that he is a deadbeat dad w/o real regrets?  we actually felt bad 'bout saving him in bg2.

Hehe, Coran and I had a ... special relationship. Yes, he had the morals of an alley cat, but since I couldn't get Kivan's mind off his dead wife... well, a girl needs comfort, y'know? ;) Initially I thought poor Coran's fate in BGII (and Lanfear's, for that matter!) was kinda cruel... but eventually I realized the appropriateness of the love-em-and-leave-em Casanova being betrayed by the one woman he came to truly love, and being murdered by the one woman who truly loved him. A dog killed by an even bigger dog. Ah, the irony.

P.S. - Heya, Dave. So good to see you again!

• 10 months later...
...the submit-a-character contest board meltdown occured....

*shudder* I remember that. A whole bunch of people behaved really badly, IMHO... not that I ever wore a halo myself, but that was just... wrong. Not the old board's finest hour, for sure.

btw, coran were a terrible bg1 Character.

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient, be sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me

Only the rarest of threads attain litchdom. Finally killing them would entail severing their limbs and burning them at a crossroads

on a harvest moon.

I can supply the fire!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It'd be funny to walk into a bar in Neverwinter and see Hades, Volo, Meta, and Cano (if he still posted here regularly) bickering about local politics.

Thats is a heck of a good idea. I am so going to do that in my NWN2 mod.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

How's it coming up btw? -_-

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

actually you should pull volo and cano and put yourself and taks in as you two are now some of the more active political debaters.

actually you should pull volo and cano and put yourself and taks in as you two are now some of the more active political debaters.

Heh, Taks will get in but not me. That would be a little narcissistic. Besides I was already in NWN1. I'm standing outside the Shining Knight in the City Core. :lol:.

As for the mod, all of the dialog, journal entries, floaters, and most of the scripts are written. I write in Word then copy to the TS. About 1/2 the areas are done in at least rough form, some are pretty much finished. Heck all the writing weighs in at 65000 words not counting scripting. I wrote most of it during downtime at work.

Back OT, I was lurking on the BIS forums during the submit-a-character mess. It was a shame something that could have been a lot of fun turned into such a debacle.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

W00t, I've not been totally forgotten. Here's to hoping a part of the Blackisle community will forever live on. Where are they all, these days? Is there one community with most of them in or has everyone drifted?

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient, be sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me

W00t, I've not been totally forgotten. Here's to hoping a part of the Blackisle community will forever live on. Where are they all, these days? Is there one community with most of them in or has everyone drifted?

The two major places that I've seen them around have been here and over at The Lair. Unfortunately the lair has been limping along on life support for a while after a couple periods of extended downtime. :sad:

:looks at the top 20 here:

wow... I didn't realize that I was the 18th highest poster here. also the latest joiner on that list.

whups Darkraven is the latest.

Edited by Calax