648 Dead, 322 Hurt in Iraq Bridge Stampede

kumquatq3

CNN is reporting "at least 841 people were killed and 323 injured"

Most of those killed were women and children, police sources said. Authorities expect the death toll to reach 1,000, Health Ministry official Jased Latif Ali said.

BBC reported three mortar rounds fired at the crowd early on. Rumour went round that the explosions had been suicide bombers, or there were suicide bombers in the crowd. More deaths were caused when pilgrims drank poisoned fruit juice being given out.

Don't forget the insurgents are freedom fighters, people. *disgust*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

BBC reported three mortar rounds fired at the crowd early on. Rumour went round that the explosions had been suicide bombers, or there were suicide bombers in the crowd. More deaths were caused when pilgrims drank poisoned fruit juice being given out.

Ah, baiting. I wonder if anyone will bite. :ph34r:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I'm sorry. Perhaps the comment was unfair. Perhaps you will explain how? ;)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm sorry. Perhaps the comment was unfair. Perhaps you will explain how? ;)

You know of what I speak Walsingham... ;)

By the way, I happened to see a fellar with your name in a movie recently, the spymaster of Elizabeth I, yes? ;)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

That's correct. A devious patriot, and extremely loyal to the crown.

And I genuinely don't see how this incident is anything other than an expose of how facile it is to claim "one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter." *shrugs* Maybe it's just me.

-Elwood Blues

That's correct. A devious patriot, and extremely loyal to the crown.

And I genuinely don't see how this incident is anything other than an expose of how facile it is to claim "one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter." *shrugs* Maybe it's just me.

So are you also a devious patriot, and extremely loyal to the crown, then? :thumbsup:

I don't know about the claim, I'd say that some of the "insurgents" fall under the "one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter.", while others most certainly don't. In my book it depends on what they're doing, I don't see suicide bombers as "freedom fighters", but the arab fireing an RPG or an AK-47 or even using those devious roadside bombs at US and Coalition troops is not a "terrorist" either. But that is just my humble opinion.

DENMARK!

I don't know I measure up to any of that description. Block-headed rather than devious, certainly. I like to think I'm loyal, but it's not like it gets tested every day.

I think I have to disagree about the roadside bombings. But such an act would fall, as it were, within 99% interval of my definition. I certainly don't think it takes any heroism to mount an IED or snipe at a patrol in the present climate. But then having been shot at myself I'm not going to be very sympathetic!

It's interesting that you see a suicide bomber as a terrorist, but not a random assailant firing on soldiers from civilian areas. I'd suggest you learna little more about how suicide bombers are manufactured by their leaders. To a large extent the poor s.ob.s are victims too.

-Elwood Blues

I don't know I measure up to any of that description. Block-headed rather than devious, certainly. I like to think I'm loyal, but it's not like it gets tested every day.

I think I have to disagree about the roadside bombings. But such an act would fall, as it were, within 99% interval of my definition. I certainly don't think it takes any heroism to mount an IED or snipe at a patrol in the present climate. But then having been shot at  myself I'm not going to be very sympathetic!

It's interesting that you see a suicide bomber as a terrorist, but not a random assailant firing on soldiers from civilian areas. I'd suggest you learna little more about how suicide bombers are manufactured by their leaders. To a large extent the poor s.ob.s are victims too.

I'm a royalist myself, so don't be shy to admit it. :ph34r:

Getting fire from snipers or ambushed or blown up while on patrol is not unsual for gorilla warfare, is it? These tactics are not acts of terrorism in my opinion, but then again, my view would probably be different if I had been shot at myself. But alas, this is how it is with all things we've not experienced ourselves, yes?

I'm not saying that a suicide bomber is not a victim, but whatever screwed up childhood he made have experienced, whichever nasty ideology he might be following, it simply doesn't justify blowing yourself up to nail as many as possible. Pardon me for my rather conservative stance on this one. :thumbsup:

DENMARK!

I think I have to disagree about the roadside bombings. But such an act would fall, as it were, within 99% interval of my definition. I certainly don't think it takes any heroism to mount an IED or snipe at a patrol in the present climate. But then having been shot at  myself I'm not going to be very sympathetic!

Getting fire from snipers or ambushed or blown up while on patrol is not unsual for gorilla warfare, is it? These tactics are not acts of terrorism in my opinion, but then again, my view would probably be different if I had been shot at myself. But alas, this is how it is with all things we've not experienced ourselves, yes?

I'm not saying that a suicide bomber is not a victim, but whatever screwed up childhood he made have experienced, whichever nasty ideology he might be following, it simply doesn't justify blowing yourself up to nail as many as possible. Pardon me for my rather conservative stance on this one. :thumbsup:

SpellMar says that, unless you are talking about espap

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

SpellMar says that, unless you are talking about espapees from Bagdad zoo, you are talkinga bout guerrillas.

This sentence needs to be preserved for posterity. :D

On-topic: the last blast I heard reports of was a triple explosion, timed to detonate at sufficient intervals so as to catch the medical staff attending the first explosion, which was at a bus stop.

I remember the IRA used to do the same kind of thing, ostensibly targetting the security forces rather than medical staff, as if the bombs could tell the difference.

That is not fighting for freedom, it is sectarian politics cynically using terror as a tactic to extort the views of a minority on the will of the majority.

It is looking dangerously like Northern Ireland. That took 35 years to solve, if indeed it has been.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

SpellMar says that, unless you are talking about espap

DENMARK!

Latest report, 50 civvies killed with the poisoned juice. The only positive note to draw from all this is that acts of this nature may shake the faith of the average Arab in the goals of the insurgency. A lot in this insurgency depends on how the Arab media reports it.

EDIT: as an aside, when we are renovating Iraq it might be smart to take into account these pilgrimage routes, and put some thought into improving them from a general crowd safety perspective.

-Elwood Blues

Latest report, 50 civvies killed with the poisoned juice. The only positive note to draw from all this is that acts of this nature may shake the faith of the average Arab in the goals of the insurgency. A lot in this insurgency depends on how the Arab media reports it.

Hmm. Didn't their moms tell them not to take candy from strangers...? :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

good and bad, light and dark, moral and immoral, it's all a matter of perception and where you stand

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

good and bad, light and dark, moral and immoral, it's all a matter of perception and where you stand

Please let me know where you are standing that poisoning peaceful worshippers purely to stir up sectarian hatred is moral. I need to know in case I accidentally loiter there.

-Elwood Blues

Please let me know where you are standing that poisoning peaceful worshippers purely to stir up sectarian hatred is moral. I need to know in case I accidentally loiter there.

Keep in mind, these people are the same ones Michael Moore calls "minutemen". <_<

I don't care who you are or what you believe in, doing what these murderers did was evil, no questions asked. Poisoning innocent people, firing mortars at them, or killing them off by suicide bombing is immoral.

I think we can at least agree that it is dishonourable. Honour being an outdated and foolish concept that disapproves of things like murdering peaceful people to stir up hatred.

-Elwood Blues

The residents of the adjoining (Sunni) suburb, came out and helped with the injured and dead, bringing water and assisting in the transport of the wounded to the hospital and the dead away.

Of course, the honour of the individual members of the two sects belies the hatred espoused by the extremists, both therein and those casting stones from the other religions.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT