Rome

Shadowstrider

Did anyone watch the premiere on HBO tonight? I went in with low, oh-so-low intentions, but was greatly impressed.

Though the character's introductions were a bit lackluster, the build-up of their personalities was very well carried out (with the exception of Caesar). The writing was pretty damn good, not 100% historic, but interesting enough to let me disregard any inaccuracies.

I should add the show is definetely not for kids, with moments of nudity and a good bit of gore (ranging from watching a man get impaled on a spear, to a brief battle in the begining).

The show had a good balance of action and drama - though I'd like a bit more of TEH DRAMA. As I said, the character's personalities were well developed; Octavian an arrogant but fearful child, the two soldiers (whose names I forget - like I said introductions weren't great) as polar opposites. The acting was very good, top notch.

Anyway, it will rerun on Tuesday night, I recommend it. Anyone else watch it and have an opinion?

I don't demand accuracy from a movie. Like you, I'll overlook the odd stray innaccuracy if it's a good show.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sunday nights seem so empty now that Six Feet Under is gone. So I think I'll give Rome a shot.

I missed the episode tonight, but I'll catch it one of the gabillion times it's re-aired on the gabillion HBO's we get. And there's always HBO OnDemand.

Proud purveyor, owner and operator of the Wonder Twins

p2p-must-have?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

No, but I saw part of a programme called 'Empire' on Hallmark last night. It looked OK, but I wasn't captivated. What is it with Rome at the moment? There seem to be games, films and TV series all over the place. I blame Russell Crowe.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

No, but I saw part of a programme called 'Empire' on Hallmark last night.  It looked OK, but I wasn't captivated.  What is it with Rome at the moment?  There seem to be games, films and TV series all over the place.  I blame Russell Crowe.

Is that the one that chronicles the Emperors? (Which is basically the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, by another name and using a slightly different focus.)

I really enjoyed that; it was a History Channel series.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Is that the one that chronicles the Emperors? (Which is basically the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, by another name and using a slightly different focus.)

I didn't really watch it (my sister insists on watching JAG and NCIS on video at all hours). There was a soldier and a young guy following him around, if that helps.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The show 'Empire' that was mentioned is an eight hour miniseries about the Octavius, successor to Julius Caesar. I caught a few episodes but it didn't really seem too special.

And the reason HBO doesn't seem so hot on Sundays is the loss of Carnivale . Shameless plug for yet another great cancelled show.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I watched about five mintutes of it, saw a man and a woman having sex whilst being fanned and watched by 5 other onlookers, then switched it to the Sopranos. Damn I love that theme song.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

It was ok, but it was missing the soul that Band of Brothers and Deadwood had/have.

Yeah, but we can't compare every show out there to those two shows, or we wouldn't watch anything.

I really enjoyed the sunday episode though, hope for more like that in the future. When it was all over, I couldn't believe an hour had passed. Hopefully I dont regret saying this, but I already wish it was more than just a 12 episode show.

Are all HBO shows this good? I've only seen the aforementioned Band of Brothers and Deadwood along with the single episode of Rome from the many HBO Originals.

As capable of inconvenience, and of some damage and debt to those that would act against my interests, I cannot f*^ng argue with dangerous.

I loved Band of Brothers, bought the DVD set and everything. As for Deadwood, the show doesn't do much for me, the dialogue in it is distracting more than it is anything else. When my friends and I sit down to watch it we find ourselves laughing, rather than watching.

Everyone is either using words 80% of the population wouldn't know, or using words the other 20% doesn't use.

*Shrugs*

I find Rome, thus far, to be better than Deadwood.

Someone asked about how you could watch Sopranos and Rome at the same time...many TV packages offer multiple HBO channels. There is usually an Atlantic and Pacific channel, and basically the Pacific runs 3 hours behind.

I wasn't a big fan of The Sopranos or 6 Feet Under, but I have to admit that HBO does quality drama. Deadwood and Rome are big favorites of mine, and frankly Band of Brothers was better than any movie I can remember recently. Rome and Deadwood are very crass though (as is the Sopranos) and maybe it's just the shock of seeing that on TV that makes it great. Let's face it, movies have really tamed down for the PG-13 rating, and you rarely get a good muff shot anymore.

Someone asked about how you could watch Sopranos and Rome at the same time...many TV packages offer multiple HBO channels.  There is usually an Atlantic and Pacific channel, and basically the Pacific runs 3 hours behind.

I wasn't a big fan of The Sopranos or 6 Feet Under, but I have to admit that HBO does quality drama.  Deadwood and Rome are big favorites of mine, and frankly Band of Brothers was better than any movie I can remember recently.  Rome and Deadwood are very crass though (as is the Sopranos) and maybe it's just the shock of seeing that on TV that makes it great.  Let's face it, movies have really tamed down for the PG-13 rating, and you rarely get a good muff shot anymore.

Crass? Howso? Profanity wasn't invented in 1979, you know.

Crass compared to entertainment today. We've taken a step towards conservatism. Rent a PG movie from the 80's (Uncle Buck) and you will be amazed at what they say. Nobody gets away with that stuff anymore except HBO and Howard Stern...oh wait, he got fined millions.

It was funny, My history 310 teacher at the JC told us to watch it ONLY FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES. everything except the names is utterly wrong... Appearently one of the leaders wants to be a proponent of the people... that didn't appear until the late 19th century... Just funny thoughts

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Guest Fishboot

Not really - no one was displayed to be genuinely pro-plebe, but rather competing over plebe favor.

I am a big fan of Deadwood, The Sopranos and The Wire. Carnivale was a little weird-for-weird's sake, although I was sad to see it go and I considered it worthy, and I liked Six Feet Under for a while until the parade of unlikely disasters broke my sense of verisimilitude.

I think that Deadwood has kind of spoiled me for first seasons/first episodes - it had probably the best and tightest first 10 or so episodes of any series, all time. And, unfortunately, when I first heard about Rome I was hoping it would focus on a smaller scale or different time period than the end of the republic - I enjoyed the parts with the two soldiers much more than the parade of ultra-famous historical figures. So the first episode was a bit blah considering my expectations, but there's still potential there.

Okay, so I just watched the second episode, and I must say I liked it a lot. I've got to admit its got me hooked now. The first episode was good, the second was great. I found the intrigue and depth of it really interesting, and you can see them building up conflicts for the future (no not just between Pompei and Caesar).

Anyone else?

Okay, so I just watched the second episode, and I must say I liked it a lot.  I've got to admit its got me hooked now.  The first episode was good, the second was great.  I found the intrigue and depth of it really interesting, and you can see them building up conflicts for the future (no not just between Pompei and Caesar).

Anyone else?

I'll definitely finish out the season.

One thing I didn't like was them stealing the trephining scene from Master and Commander.