Sweden's Twisting Tower

jaguars4ever

The tower is lovely. :luck: The gherkin is good, too. It seems that finally architects are rediscovering the art of creating pretty buildings, and about time too.

Be grateful for gutsy immigrants - the world economy would collapse without them.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

They must think that streets in the US are paved with gold or something.

Well, considering the cloying poverty and asphyxiatingly carcinogenic environmental polution of their neighbourhoods (perpetrated by US corporates exploiting the lenient and pro-business Mexican environmental laws) across the Rio Grande, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

Nah. Air pollution is only that bad around Mexico City, otherwise it's not substantially worse than your average US city. And cloying poverty is the only thing they are sure to find on the other side of the wall (apart from perhaps a bullet from paramilitaries), so it's only a no-brainer if you don't have any brains of your own.

Those people are sadly deluded.

The tower is lovely. :luck:  The gherkin is good, too.  It seems that finally architects are rediscovering the art of creating pretty buildings, and about time too.

Be grateful for gutsy immigrants - the world economy would collapse without them.

Yeah, I don't know about the Swedish tower (it looks to be designed along similar lines), but the Gherkin was designed to accommodate all the requirements of a modern building, as well as allowing the windows to be opened to save on heating and cooling bills (which are phenominal in other buildings of a similar size).

They twisted the block design to add some high-wind tolerance, as well as the natty look.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The people fleeing to the US from Mexico do tend to find a better life. Hell, they find a better enough life to send money back home to people who need it more.

I disagree with a completely open border. ...Or, I disagree with turning a blind eye to illegal immigration while there are folks trying to enter the country legally. Personally, I would be willing to have a completely free border with some substantial reforms in regards to services so we don't bankrupt the southwestern states.

Mexico has the equivalent of a peasant class. I'm not talking about poor folks, or inner cities, or other things associated with industrialized countries. Mexicon has a huge class of people upon whom the feet of the ruling class rests. If I were in such a state, I'd want something better, and it is to be found in the United States. Sure, the living conditions suck, but these poople often come here and work hard so they can try to do something for their families back in Mexico. They don't want to be American, for the most part, they are proud of Mexico. What they want is a little opportunity.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what they find: a little opportunity. ...But that little is a little more than what they had. Fortunately, Mexicans start working through American society and, after a few generations, are as American as anybody whose family came here on the Mayflower. For example, I'll be damned if I'm any less American than anyone I know, and my grandmother was a Mexican citizen from birth to death.

Aside from that, American bashing is so pervasive and hyperbolic that it's usually not even worth answering. I mean, there are people who say that the United States does nothing right. Any action we take is, by definition, either wrong, stupid, or wrong and stupid. Fair enough. I'll let folks believe what they will. For my part, I've been around and I can make a couple of observations.

First, my fellow citizens have every right to scorn the United States. That freedom is assured to them. They usually don't know know how good they have it, but neither knowledge nor wisdom are required for the exercise of free speech.

Second, folks in other countries can deride us. I think everyone should be free to speak, not just here, but in every country. ...But some of us have been to your countries. We've been guests, driven your roads, loved your people, shared something of America with you, and brought something of your country back with us when we returned. We are not the evil people you seem to think we are.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Recently I heard sombody start blaming the US for the Mexican deaths in crossing the desert trying to get into America Illegaly

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

We are not the evil people you seem to think we are.

And this is the main reason americans get so aroused when we're discussing politics: you're confusing the industrial world's dislike for american foreign politics with some sort of unfounded hatred for the american people. That is not the case (and I have no clue where you get it from). Yes, we joke a lot about americans being fat, uneducated and having a taste for poor beer and odd sports. But not more than, for example, swedish people making fun of finnish people for being a humourless bunch, intent on killing themselves with a bottle of Koskenkorva in their hands. It's prejudice in a (mostly) harmless way.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

lol betrayed by your subconscious?

hahaha. Swine-hearted wretch! A simple mistake, I assure you. :D

ROFL I was still laughing at omglol's post when I read mkreku's. The Finnish get it to, huh?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I thought this thread was about the twisting tower, and modern architecture in general. Look, I found another picture:

Turning-Toso_m.jpg

We could always start (yet another) 'Why does the world hate America/Americans?' thread, if we must.

We are not the evil people you seem to think we are.

And this is the main reason americans get so aroused when we're discussing politics: you're confusing the industrial world's dislike for american foreign politics with some sort of unfounded hatred for the american people. That is not the case (and I have no clue where you get it from). Yes, we joke a lot about americans being fat, uneducated and having a taste for poor beer and odd sports. But not more than, for example, swedish people making fun of finnish people for being a humourless bunch, intent on killing themselves with a bottle of Koskenkorva in their hands. It's prejudice in a (mostly) harmless way.

You forgot the abysmal chocolate confectionary. (Although "English" chocolate isn't much better.)

I happen to admire the USA; it isn't perfecct by a long chalk, but it certainly is less guilty of a lot of the sins of the older worlds (old Europe, greater Persia and the Arab states, et alia). It is farsical to compare the human rights records of most countries with the US; still, the US is not free from blemish (past and present crimes against Native Americans; African Americans; Latin Americans; etc).

So when I make a criticism, it is not from a point of hatred, but a willingness to improve the government / society to make it better for all of us (as we in the rest of the world are impacted greatly by the goings-on of the US).

When I see abuse of power, or corruption (especially of something very worthy) I must speak out (it is the duty of all of us); that does not mean I wish the system ill: I wish it convalescences.

A lot of US citizens seem unable to seperate the message from the medium: they seem to take all criticsms personally (present company excepted, of course). That is just rank immaturity; I would hope that we all can rise above it.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ahh, too true, Steve. These threads always seem to transform over time.

All's I can say about the tower is that it looks kind of scary. I know it's probably just as safe as any other building, but it's just too funky for my tastes.

Obsidian Plays

I thought this thread was about the twisting tower, and modern architecture in general.  Look, I found another picture:

Turning-Toso_m.jpg

We could always start (yet another) 'Why does the world hate America/Americans?' thread, if we must.

No details about where and when ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No details about where and when ...

It's a model of the same tower.

Or did you mean the anti-America thread? I'm not starting it. I have nothing but love and affection for the American people and their marvellous president. :ermm:

Returning from a two-day visit home I was greeted today by the marvel that is Norwich's newly-opened bus station:

050826busstation1sa.jpg050827bus1ny.jpg

I'm not sure. Glass can contribute to pretty, but glass does not automatically make pretty. However, the space-ship effect is very modern for Norwich. :huh:

Now all they need is a comprehensive and cogent bus service. :ermm:"

(Have you ever tried using a bus to get around, as a substitute for car or train? Unless you have many, many, many hours to spare I don't recommend it to you. Last time I did the sums, it took longer to go across Herfordshire and Bedfordshire, than it did to take a train into London and back out. Twice.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've always been fond of the arch in St. Louis. I was looking for it and found a picture so good I had to make it my desktop.

Obsidian Plays

I don't like that. It's like a victory arch/arch of jubilation without any reason. Just standing there.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I've always been fond of the arch in St. Louis.  I was looking for it and found a picture so good I had to make it my desktop.

It's lovely against the night sky. Can you go up to the top? The view of the city would be fantastic!

Is it a victory arch? It's nice to have some curves in the skyline, not just skyscrapers.

First, my fellow citizens have every right to scorn the United States.  That freedom is assured to them.  They usually don't know know how good they have it, but neither knowledge nor wisdom are required for the exercise of free speech.

Second, folks in other countries can deride us.  I think everyone should be free to speak, not just here, but in every country.  ...But some of us have been to your countries.  We've been guests, driven your roads, loved your people, shared something of America with you, and brought something of your country back with us when we returned.  We are not the evil people you seem to think we are.

What about those of us who do know how good we have it? I may be going out on a limb here, but I'd venture to say I've spent more time abroad, and in more places, than anybody else on these boards, oftentimes obliged to pay for it all by my lonesome. I'm as big a fan of irony as anyone else, but it gets tiring to hear that I have no idea what I'm talking about, that I hate America and everyone in it, I'm one step away from a Palestinian suicide bomber, etc. etc. etc. I've played in the sandbox before, but I'm just not one of those guys who waves flags and declares American supremacy all the time.

I remember my mother-in-law was visiting (she's Russian) and we were at a gas station, and there was some hillbilly truck with all the American flags and "Support Our Troops!" crap all over the back, and she was asking about it. She honestly didn't get it; her exact words were, "What, does he need a constant reminder of what country he's in?" Russians are intensely nationalistic, believe me, but they and a lot of other countries just don't get all the flag-waving that we do. They see it as arrogance, and I tend to agree.

"My country is always right," and "My country, right or wrong," are just as foolish as, "America is always wrong." Take pride in your country, by all means, but do it quietly. I assume that most people who work in an office setting respect the guy who always gets his crap done and never makes a big deal about it; the guy who you never notice and yet always seems to be on top of his game. On the other hand, the office braggart who's always crowing about his accomplishments and never admitting his mistakes is going to be disliked no matter how effective he is - he's going to be disagreed with even if he happens to be right some of the time.

Which one of those gentlemen most closely resembles the American image abroad, hmm?

Why is it, Commissar, that I always find our little digressions more interesting than the original topic? Your post deserves a reply, but I'm afraid I can't contribute to derailing this thread any more than I have already. If someone creates "yet another" America and it's place in the world thread, I'll participate. In the meantime, I think your post is remarkably well written and so I'll just ask that you get the last word on the subject and we return to the world of twisted towers and McDonalds.

Obsidian Plays

Very well written Commissar, and I agree with you completely seen from a Scandinavian point of view, even us up here in the north can be a bit nationalistic, but all this bumper sticker, flag weaving crap just makes me wanna scream. :lol:

PS. C'mon Eldar, you can grace a good post like that with a reply, derailment or no? ;)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.