KOTOR I & KOTOR II: - Story Difference

Guest MacleodCorp

Guest MacleodCorp

The Psychology

A few days ago, I started to play both KOTOR I and KOTOR II simultaniously. While carefully racing through the levels, I started to understand why KOTOR II's main and side quests feel confined. Now, this doesn't mean thet KOTOR II is bad, but just unique in it's own right. When a writter creates a story, there are different perspective to choose from first, second, or third person.

BioWare & KotOR I: (PNPCs) Side Quests

When you travel with your companions, the various side quests are not related to the main quest. Each individual PNPC has his or her own story. Instead of complete dialogue, BioWare translated their stories to the world around you. By solving their quests, you create an understanding of the people you travel with. Bastilla's mother/father, Mission's brother, Jolee's friend, and Big Z's family issues. Inorder to proceed through the levels, some of their backgrounds are important to solve. However, they are not necessary in the understanding of Malak vrs. Revan.

BioWare & KotOR I: Main Quest

As you travel from planet to planet, you gather both knowledge and Star Maps. Within the main quest, your job is to search for the Star Maps and overtake your old apprentice. In order to complete your tasks, the PC has to find out about what happend to Malak and Revan. As you know, the unknowing twist is that you are Revan.

Obsidian & KotOR II: (PNPCs) Side Quests

While playing KotOR II, there is only one PNPC side quest, which is a very simple task. Mandalore's side quest is to gather Mandalorians. However, there is no personal side quest, which you have to solve a puzzle. Unlike KotOR I, KotOR II doesn't have any personal side quests, which you have to solve anything to find more information about your friends. Instead of moving from place to place, you can sit through hours of dialogue and play around with your PNPC's influence through questions, and in return you learn about your PNPCs and turn them to Jedi/Sith.

Obsidian & KotOR II: Main Quest

While playing KotOR II, the main quest is to find out your own relationship to the world. Instead of a hidden story, which has some twist, you must travel to solve why the Jedi disapeared, the mysteries of the Jedi Civil Wars, what occured at Malacore V, and what has happened to your self. As a bonus, you get to have a history lesson about other events, which caused other Jedi Civil Wars. However the history lesson is not important in the main quest.

Other points:

KotOR I - You have to travel the galaxy and do various tasks to learn about your friends. You get involved with their lives.

KotOR II - You have to keep the dialogue flowing and gain influence to learn about your friends. You sit through dialogue, and converse about their lives.

KotOR I - You have to gather StarMaps, which create a whole map to find a Star Forge and to understand Revan and Malak's thinking.

KotOR II - You have to find the Jedi Masters, to find out why they exiled you.

KotOR Saga Similarity - Darvik (KotOR I) & Col. Grenn (KotOR II) are the same NPC and Voice Over Actor.

KotOR I and KotOR II have very uniques styles, which they both have pros and cons. Some people like to read books based upon the first person perspective, and other like to read books designed upon a third peron's perspective. KotOR I is based upon one style, and KotOR II is based upon another. When you play both games, you are exposed to some really nice graphics and designs. Some of the elements are truely impressive.

(Please feel free to add your thoughts, and add to what I am missing.)

Actually, didn't Mandalore's sidequest get cut anyway? You can still do the quest, but Mandalore never gives it to you and it never appears in your journal.

I preferred the K1 method of finding out about characters. The sidequests were fun, and I think it made them seem more 'real'. And getting dialogue after getting a level at least ensured you'd be able to get everything out of an NPC.

The influence system in K2 was a great idea, but it had several flaws. For instance, a lot of it is circumstance-based, so if you don't have the right party member with you at a certain point, you miss out on influence opportunities. And with some characters, like Visas, you get so much influence with them in one or two conversations that you get all their dialogue out really fast, and they have nothing new to say the rest of the game.

Guest MacleodCorp
Actually, didn't Mandalore's sidequest get cut anyway?  You can still do the quest, but Mandalore never gives it to you and it never appears in your journal. 

I preferred the K1 method of finding out about characters.  The sidequests were fun, and I think it made them seem more 'real'.  And getting dialogue after getting a level at least ensured you'd be able to get everything out of an NPC.

The influence system in K2 was a great idea, but it had several flaws.  For instance, a lot of it is circumstance-based, so if you don't have the right party member with you at a certain point, you miss out on influence opportunities.  And with some characters, like Visas, you get so much influence with them in one or two conversations that you get all their dialogue out really fast, and they have nothing new to say the rest of the game.

You can still go around with Mandalore and round up his posse. It just doesn't do anything.

I comepletely agree with both statements. I like the influence idea, but it does need some tweaking. As for Mandalore, you don't really have to round up his crew, and it doesn't affect the game. I liked the factor that in KotOR I you learn about your PNPCs through dialogue and participating in their lives. I would have loved to help Visas, Mira, or Atton on a quest, which will allow me to interact and learn more about their worlds.

Guest MacleodCorp

I wonder if there will be a game that combinds both styles?

Influence System of KOTOR II.

PNPC background and intereaction of KOTOR I.

In Kotor I, you had Characters who are family/friends of your PNPC's. That's what I liked.

In Kotor II, you didn't got that feeling with you're PNPC's. The influence system was not bad, but like some said here, it wasn't as great as it could be, but I'm pretty sure that is because of the lack of time.

Guest MacleodCorp
Personally I would have been happy if the influence system affected the NPC instead of characters like handmaiden getting annoyed when I do evil stuff, despite the fact she has darkside mastery herself.

Now that would have been interesting. An inverted version of Obsidian's influence system, which determines the dialogue and attitude of the PNPCs.

Otherwords, if you choose the darkside, the characters could be convinved to join the darkside. Instead of everyone falling, you could create arguements based upon how you influence each character. At the moment, the system is a consequence influence system, which everyone is one sided. Even though your companions fall, they are still either light or dark in their dialogue. Unless you are Visas..

Example: You are a lightside pc, and you have a darkside pc. When utilizind the influence system, you can convince the darkside pc to turn to the lightside.

Or, you are a darksided pca, and you have a lightside pc. You can convince your lightside characters to turn.

Based upon your influence and dialogue choices you can still have control over your PNPCs. I like that...

The Psychology

A few days ago, I started to play both KOTOR I and KOTOR II simultaniously. While carefully racing through the levels, I started to understand why KOTOR II's main and side quests feel confined. Now, this doesn't mean thet KOTOR II is bad, but just unique in it's own right. When a writter creates a story, there are different perspective to choose from first, second, or third person.

BioWare & KotOR I: (PNPCs) Side Quests

When you travel with your companions, the various side quests are not related to the main quest. Each individual PNPC has his or her own story. Instead of complete dialogue, BioWare translated their stories to the world around you. By solving their quests, you create an understanding of the people you travel with. Bastilla's mother/father, Mission's brother, Jolee's friend, and Big Z's family issues. Inorder to proceed through the levels, some of their backgrounds are important to solve. However, they are not necessary in the understanding of Malak vrs. Revan.

BioWare & KotOR I: Main Quest

As you travel from planet to planet, you gather both knowledge and Star Maps. Within the main quest, your job is to search for the Star Maps and overtake your old apprentice. In order to complete your tasks, the PC has to find out about what happend to Malak and Revan. As you know, the unknowing twist is that you are Revan.

Obsidian & KotOR II: (PNPCs) Side Quests

While playing KotOR II, there is only one PNPC side quest, which is a very simple task. Mandalore's side quest is to gather Mandalorians. However, there is no personal side quest, which you have to solve a puzzle. Unlike KotOR I, KotOR II doesn't have any personal side quests, which you have to solve anything to find more information about your friends. Instead of moving from place to place, you can sit through hours of dialogue and play around with your PNPC's influence through questions, and in return you learn about your PNPCs and turn them to Jedi/Sith.

Obsidian & KotOR II: Main Quest

While playing KotOR II, the main quest is to find out your own relationship to the world. Instead of a hidden story, which has some twist, you must travel to solve why the Jedi disapeared, the mysteries of the Jedi Civil Wars, what occured at Malacore V, and what has happened to your self. As a bonus, you get to have a history lesson about other events, which caused other Jedi Civil Wars. However the history lesson is not important in the main quest.

Other points:

KotOR I - You have to travel the galaxy and do various tasks to learn about your friends. You get involved with their lives.

KotOR II - You have to keep the dialogue flowing and gain influence to learn about your friends. You sit through dialogue, and converse about their lives.

KotOR I - You have to gather StarMaps, which create a whole map to find a Star Forge and to understand Revan and Malak's thinking.

KotOR II - You have to find the Jedi Masters, to find out why they exiled you.

KotOR I and KotOR II have very uniques styles, which they both have pros and cons. Some people like to read books based upon the first person perspective, and other like to read books designed upon a third peron's perspective. KotOR I is based upon one style, and KotOR II is based upon another. When you lay both games, you are exposed to some really nice graphics and designs. Some of the elements are truely impressive.

(Please feel free to add your thoughts, and add to what I am missing.)

Yeah that pretty much says it all :luck:

Actually, didn't Mandalore's sidequest get cut anyway?  You can still do the quest, but Mandalore never gives it to you and it never appears in your journal. 

True. Finding out about Atton's background is more of a side quest, yet that never appears in the journal either...

I preferred the K1 method of finding out about characters.  The sidequests were fun, and I think it made them seem more 'real'.  And getting dialogue after getting a level at least ensured you'd be able to get everything out of an NPC.

Well, they should have at least stuck a few of them in the journal, particularly Atton's, since it becomes clear rather early that there is much more to him. Same with Kreia btw.

The influence system in K2 was a great idea, but it had several flaws.  For instance, a lot of it is circumstance-based, so if you don't have the right party member with you at a certain point, you miss out on influence opportunities.  And with some characters, like Visas, you get so much influence with them in one or two conversations that you get all their dialogue out really fast, and they have nothing new to say the rest of the game.

True, and that's only part of the problem. What is really annoying is how the influence options don't change depending on alignment switches - Bao-Dur will still react negatively to killing the innocent even after you've corrupted him to your Sith ways, and HK-47 will still complain about compassion and mercy when you help the weak, even if you push him to extreme light side, and I did that in my last game, which is really quite funny - both HK-47 and G0T0 were so lightsided that would have had LS mastery if it was possible for them :)

post-12435-1125188606_thumb.jpg

Guest MacleodCorp

True. Finding out about Atton's background is more of a side quest, yet that never appears in the journal either...

Well, they should have at least stuck a few of them in the journal, particularly Atton's, since it becomes clear rather early that there is much more to him. Same with Kreia btw.

True, and that's only part of the problem. What is really annoying is how the influence options don't change depending on alignment switches - Bao-Dur will still react negatively to killing the innocent even after you've corrupted him to your Sith ways, and HK-47 will still complain about compassion and mercy when you help the weak, even if you push him to extreme light side, and I did that in my last game, which is really quite funny - both HK-47 and G0T0 were so lightsided that would have had LS mastery if it was possible for them >_<

post-12435-1125188606_thumb.jpg

What would have been cool is if Darkside/Lightside alignment of your PNPCs created different dialogue according to their own alignment.

If you made Bao-Dur into a Sith, he should have dialogue that reflects his new alignment. For example: If you killed someone, he could have said, "Feel the darkside pulsing through your veins... Remember the hatred you felt at Malacore V." Obsidian could have made their statements dark. Sith statements would be dark and Jedi statements would have Jedi Wisdom in style.

HK-47 and LS Mastery?

How to do this?

I guess you have to:

A) First conversation choose something like:

I killed the Mandalorian's on purpose and I would do it again.

B) When he askes you a question after a conversation respond with:

The next one who doesn't let me go I'll kill him.

C) Kill Kumus on Dxun (2 times Influence Gained) (If Hanharr is in your party don't do this) Then kill Tarn (Dantooine).

D) Force Persuade the Onderon Soldier on Iziz, the one who want to know about your business on Iziz.

E) Ponlar 2nd time: Everyone Join Ponlar, the queens reign must end.

F) Possibly killing another innocent or in Iziz cantina after Kavar's meeting select:

Yes, do it HK.

Is F necessary?

I am sure you can gain LS Mastery again.

GO-TO and LS Mastery:

A) Personal dialog that you could kill everyone on a planet to gain stability

B) Tell GO-TO that he is a valuable asset.

C) Give a Starport Visa to Sakirie

D) Tell Akkere that you turn him in.

Hanharr and LS Mastery:

A) all personal dialog

B) Kill Kumus

Because Hanharr will not be in your party if you are pretty far down DS there is one LS points glitch in the Secret Tomb on Korriban where you can gain infinite LS points when you encounter Kreia and your friends and tell Kreia that she is worthy of redemption. You could go from DS Mastery to LS Mastery without cheating. I think, anyone ever did this?

Master Vandar lives!

I think that, storywise, the game went downhill at the line of:

"... if, by killing these Masters, you have achieved some sort of peace."

After that the whole thing is poorly scrapped together and its a rush to the end.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.