What's with the cameos?

Am I blind or party members from KOTOR 1 don't do any "memorable cameos" in TSL? Avellone and Gallo had their mouths full of promises how great continuity will between two parts. And all we have is laughable Carth&Bastila dialog (ironically two most important characters of K1 were reduced to smallest possible roles), canned Canderous and absolutely redundant HK47. And where's Zaalbar, Mission and Jolee?

Of course game is still good enough without them, but one shouldn't promise something and later forget about it, heh?

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

K2 was originally designed so you could play it without K1 (helps keep the number of possibilities down) but as you saw they obviously made some assumptions on Carth, Bastila and HK. In some ways this inconsistancy is just part of the Obsidian image in this game.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

well you could kill Mission Zal and Jolee if you wanted. And while Carth was included in that they had to keep the part small so they could interchange it with a generic NPC if he went dark.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

well you could kill Mission Zal and Jolee if you wanted. And while Carth was included in that they had to keep the part small so they could interchange it with a generic NPC if he went dark.

Indeed, it's difficult to do a cameo when you're lying in several pieces on a beach (I just loved killing Mission when I played DS). I would have liked to have Jolee show up in the LS story though. Maybe he could talk some sense into the Exile. He would need to have enough of a role to be interesting that it couldn't be replaced with something generic if you were DS, so I'm not sure how that would work out.

"Canned Canderous" is my favorite description of Mandalore yet, heh.

Everything OK but Carth and Bastila had also "death options", yet Obsidian somehow forgot about it. I think that time limit was the main factor here. But they shouldn't advertise all that cameo thing.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

I don't recall them promising cameos of all K1 party members. I recall them saying that some former party members would make cameos, and that seemed to have happened.

Also, Nur, you can't cite Bastila and Carth as false promises, since their part was exactly what the definition of a "cameo" is. Did you expect them to have Bastila and Carth take up the entire game? A cameo is a short appearance by a recognized character from a previous episode, and that's what those two got.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

And I recall that all party members will make a cameos.

Plus you can't say that Carth cameo was even close to being something memorable.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Thing is in Kotor 1 you could kill all your party members except Canderous, Hk, and T3. I killed Bastila almost half of the time when I went LS and still she would appear in K2.

If the devs would have given them more important parts, they would have needed to invest more ressources into having backup characters...which means even less time and $ to finish the game... ouch!

Yeah, we always back to the root of all problems: time limit forced by LA. Have this game been released in february 2006 it would be truly perfect.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

If you had every character appearing as a cameo, it would just make it more confusing and even harder for Kotor 2 to stand alone as a game. I think Obsidian were trying to make the fans happy, but probably went far enough with the cameos. No, Canderous and Vrook were not the characters I most wanted to return (what were they thinking? :geek: ) but I guess that's a matter of taste.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Having Bastilla In K2 was nothing. I killed her in K1 execution stlye when I was "ahem....lightsided" because I did not want to save her, there was a little cut scene of me beheading her on the star forge but when I got my medal at the end there she frikin was alive and well.

On topic though, there were enough cameos for my liking and as for Canderous and HK (my favourite companions of K1) they just felt really out of place in this story. I say all new characters for K3...except the main man exile and his buddy Revan.

Poor writing is poor writing. There is no need to make the extra charge of poor follow-through on the writing by not including characters from K1, and their equivalent should the PC choose Revan to be DS.

It is all just poor writing, and it is also irrelvant whether this was due to poor planning against the time available, moving goalposts (shortened time frame available), negligence or sheer incompetence.

I don't know whay writing isn't given the due importance it requires. It's like trying to complete a complex task without a map ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

btw, you don't even need to get HK either (you don't have to buy him).

In terms of breaking promises on cameos, no, I don't think they have broken a "promise", but the issue with the way it's happened is with the poor planning, writing, time limit, whatever with regards to assumptions and continuity.

Mind you I liked Bastila and I'm a fan of the now-pretty-much-unlikely Revan/Bastila :( ending, so I don't mind she was kept alive.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Am I blind or party members from KOTOR 1 don't do any "memorable cameos" in TSL? Avellone and Gallo had their mouths full of promises how great continuity will between two parts. And all we have is laughable Carth&Bastila dialog (ironically two most important characters of K1 were reduced to smallest possible roles), canned Canderous and absolutely redundant HK47. And where's Zaalbar, Mission and Jolee?

Of course game is still good enough without them, but one shouldn't promise something and later forget about it, heh?

I hated this too. It would have been nice to meet Mission, Zaalbar, and hear what they have to say. This spawns a new idea for K3, rounding up the old 'posse'...no just kidding that's a bad idea :(

The cameos in the game are just fine. Too bad Bastila's wasn't very long.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I didn't like the way they reduced some of the most important characters to mere cameos. Bastila was probably the most important character in K1, aside from Revan, and she only got a cameo with Carth and a holocron. Carth Onasi got only a couple parts as well. As for Revan, he was mentioned probably 1000 times in dialogue but only got a hallucination for an appearance.

Then again, we were promised a lot of things in K2, only to be let down on a lot of them.

Cameos are a sign of weakness anyway.  Its better for the story not to have them.

I somewhat agree. Cameo appereances are good if they fit to the context of the story, but i find it rather annoying if they're just "there" for no reason what so ever.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy