this is a tale about...

Nameless One

I thought about updating my computer (gosh, not again, this isn't a ****ing hardware q&a...what, who said that?) to the glorious days of, say, yesterday...means: some kind of little(/cheap)-inbetween-update is planned with last years good stuff...or todays low(/mid)-end stuff

problem:

I have no idea what kind of graphic card to buy (my knowledge in this field stopped to grow with buying my GF4200 two years ago) neither what would fit with the other parts in my computer (AMD 2000+, soon 1024MB...AGP-port)

180$ is the limit (when you would be like "there is this exellent piece for 200$ which is two times better then twelve shaved monkeys for 180$" the limit would be alterable...)

I would prefer a GeForce because I heard that ATI-stuff is strange and something about virgin-blood (and I have even lesser an idea of the number-lineup-is-9800-better-then-x800-**** then I have with nvidia...but you could tell me)

oh, and a silent one is a good one

but it don't have to be to specific, some inside in the last two generations (the ones after the GF4 happend) of graphiccards and other tips would be highly appreciated

The 6600GT is the best choice.

I am also considering buying that, in fact should be getting it sometime this week. :-

P.S. I've heard nothing but good about that card, so i am going to recommend it (even though i dont have it :p )

Edited by petay12

I had precisely this same question qeued later this week.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

thanks for the replies...problem one solved...so the GF6600GT

some runnerup-questions:

is there a really quiet one out there?

...a certain model which is preferred?

is an AMD 2000+ to slow for a card like this? (I remember a time when it was said, that processor and video card should be same generation [/performance level] so that not the one couldn't run as fast as it could because of the other one...is this still a thing to think about?...do you even understand my broken english?)

there is new GF7800 thing...should I wait just some weeks more for another pricedrop? (I know it's computer-stupidity that there is always a new generation so you could wait forever...but this time it's close, isn't it?)

there is new GF7800 thing...should I wait just some weeks more for another pricedrop?

If you have the money, buy it. Its not going to drop in price the next few months anyhow.

Radeon will also be comming out with a new line but that could take many months and Ive heard nothing of them having support for DirectX Shader Model 3.0 which will be a must.... if you like graphics :thumbsup:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If you're looking for a quiet card, you're really silly to go barking up the nVidia tree.

ATi cards are generally much quieter (my 9600 is silent) and they're really not any weirder than nVidia since they upgraded their driver delivery methods.

The only thing weird about them anymore, is occassionally you'll get a bug only on ATi cards that the nVidia boys don't get, but that's just because of larger market share similar to Intel versus AMD.

Thats true of the Geforce6 line, but the ASUS 7800's has a new supersilent fan construction that is both smaller and quieter than the G6 ones.

But ATI = no DirectX Shader Model 3.0 + a whole lot of bugs, you should seriously wait til their new cards come out before purchasing an ATI card.

And if you think SM3.0 is just hype, take a look at this http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winhec/partn...l30_NVIDIA.mspx

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thats true of the Geforce6 line, but the ASUS 7800's has a new supersilent fan construction that is both smaller and quieter than the G6 ones.

But ATI = no DirectX Shader Model 3.0 + a whole lot of bugs, you should seriously wait til their new cards come out before purchasing an ATI card.

And if you think SM3.0 is just hype, take a look at this http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winhec/partn...l30_NVIDIA.mspx

Thanks for the link, Kaftan!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think the Gigabyte 6600gt with passive-cooling will be the lucky bride...I hope the internet didn't lie to me about it's eventhoughpassiv-stability (but internet stopped lying last monday I heared, so, no problem)

just one thing: this maybe-to-slow-processor-for-monkeycard-like-this-issue...anyone?

but nonetheless thanks so far

thanks for the replies...problem one solved...so the GF6600GT

some runnerup-questions:

is there a really quiet one out there?

...a certain model which is preferred?

is an AMD 2000+ to slow for a card like this? (I remember a time when it was said, that processor and video card should be same generation [/performance level] so that not the one couldn't run as fast as it could because of the other one...is this still a thing to think about?...do you even understand my broken english?)

there is new GF7800 thing...should I wait just some weeks more for another pricedrop? (I know it's computer-stupidity that there is always a new generation so you could wait forever...but this time it's close, isn't it?)

I really like MSI's video cards as they use quality copper heatsinks and throw tons of free games at you like Myst IV, XIII and Prince of Persia.

Newegg 6600GT Listings

Newegg is one of the premiere internet pc hardware vendors. The above link will direct you to the 31 6600GT models currently available. Each has a description and customer rating. Also, make sure (if you are buying online) to use pricewatch or something similar for the lowest prices and then buy from a reputable store.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Guest Fishboot

If you're willing to wait for someone more clever than us to show up to set this straight, I've read that the low end 6800s (6800 and 6800 LE) can (usually) be soft modded to provide a significant performance increase, approaching that of a 6800GT (except that cheaper RAM is used in the low end cards). Coincidentally, I see a $125 OEM 6800LE AGP on Newegg... (Note that 6800LEs bench about the same as 6600GTs in most apps, so this is an interesting deal even if you don't soft mod it).

Linky

That's such a great deal that it makes me want to buy ten of them and eBay off a bunch of handbuilt systems. ;)