Has anyone played with subtitles off?

Reading the Hanharr thread in the spoilers section got me thinking about this topic. Has anyone played the game with sub titles turned off?

I'm not sure if it'd be possible to do that and still follow all portions of the story, especially if you have Hanharr in your party (unless you understand Wookiee), and when you meet aliens who don't speak in Basic.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Reading the Hanharr thread in the spoilers section got me thinking about this topic.  Has anyone played the game with sub titles turned off?

I'm not sure if it'd be possible to do that and still follow all portions of the story, especially if you have Hanharr in your party (unless you understand Wookiee), and when you meet aliens who don't speak in Basic.

you still get subtitles for non-basic speaking characters. there are some parts that don't get subtitled that should be subtitled like visquis's message and hk-47 quoting a twi'lek metaphor.

I did not know that. I'm tempted to try, but I wasn't sure what would happen when non-Basic speaking characters talked.

I suppose I could have just tried it, but I'm lazy that way and decided to ask people here. :unsure:

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Reading the Hanharr thread in the spoilers section got me thinking about this topic.  Has anyone played the game with sub titles turned off?

Nope. First time through I want make sure I catch what everyone says, after that I want to be able to click through boring bits that I remember from last time. There are powerful and dramatic scenes that I don't click through, but then there are also shopkeepers and the beastkeeper on Onderon who bores me rigid. Quick scan of the subtitles - yup, I remember this - click. :unsure:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Could make for some interesting dialogue responses though.

Alien: "[says a bunch of stuff you can't understand because subtitles are off]"

Exile: "Yes, I agree to this deal."

Kreia: "You fool! You just sold me to that Jawa!"

Hanharr: "Rrrraaaaaarrrgh!!!"

T3-M4: "Beep dweet! Dooooooooooooo!"

Random Mandalorian girl: "Ki pu na! Bo na na ki chu!"

Exile: [facing the computer monitor] "Turn back on those damn subtitles will ya!"

you still get subtitles for non-basic speaking characters. there are some parts that don't get subtitled that should be subtitled like visquis's message and hk-47 quoting a twi'lek metaphor.

I have tried playing through KotOR1 without subtitles on, but i have such a short attention span, i usually end up either clicking to skip the dialogue, or playing with a manikin i have on my desk, distracting me from the story. :(

I've played through KOTOR I with subtitles off, but it didn't really improve the experience, and didn't feel any more cinematic. It was really boring having to sit through the conversations though, and since then I've always played with subtitles on, so I could just read everything and skip past it. I've never played KOTOR II without subtitles.

I like it on. Kind of hard to understand those aliens and their gibberish.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I only played with the subtitles on the first time I played... after that I turned them off. I find I'm more likely to pay attention to the dialogues if the subtitles are off... If they're on, I tend to just skip ahead and to not really bother listening to what's being said.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

I have tried playing through KotOR1 without subtitles on, but i have such a short attention span, i usually end up either clicking to skip the dialogue, or playing with a manikin i have on my desk, distracting me from the story. :thumbsup:

:ermm:

Could make for some interesting dialogue responses though.

Alien: "[says a bunch of stuff you can't understand because subtitles are off]"

Exile: "Yes, I agree to this deal."

Kreia: "You fool!  You just sold me to that Jawa!"

Hanharr: "Rrrraaaaaarrrgh!!!"

T3-M4: "Beep dweet!  Dooooooooooooo!"

Random Mandalorian girl: "Ki pu na!  Bo na na ki chu!"

Exile: [facing the computer monitor] "Turn back on those damn subtitles will ya!"

:lol: love the Kreia/Jawa one. :thumbsup:

I have tried playing through KotOR1 without subtitles on, but i have such a short attention span, i usually end up either clicking to skip the dialogue, or playing with a manikin i have on my desk, distracting me from the story. :(

:)

Wha....? :)

:devil:

Wha....? :blink:

I was doing that towards you playing with a manaquin. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

The only part of the game where no subtitles are provided is for Nihilus's part with Visas.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧