10 Ways MMORPGs Will Change Your Life.

Not for those who don't like to read. If you think anything more than two paragraphs is too long, turn back now.

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/wowworld.html

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

As do I.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

For now let's just say it's the most instantly gripping, involving and demanding entertainment technology ever invented. The addiction rate appears to be about twice that of crack Cocaine. There are 10 million MMORPG users in the world and their population is doubling every two years.

I guess I must be congentially immune, or have been rendered immune from my initial exposure to them ...

You'll meet someone who plays an MMORPG for a living.

Let's take this a little bit further. You earn gold in World of Warcraft, gold with which you can buy these in-game objects. If this game gold is truly valuable to my life, if it lets me get more value out of the pasttime I already pay real-world money for, what's to stop me from paying real money for game money? Nothing. Go to Ebay and do a search for World of Warcraft Gold and let your jaw drop open.

Not until the game universes create a sustainable economy. The problem with magical worlds is they create something out of nothing: and our real world cannot map onto that; game hyper-inflation has hit every universe ever created. And the best method for controlling it is to have people creating things as a job, like they do in the real world. Except no-one wants to be a virtual bank clerk or street sweeper; they want to be superman.

So I can't see how it can ever work.

9. There will be a whole class of wealthy people without a dime to their name.

Except that you can't eat virtual food. I know which world I would rather have money in ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Tee hee.

I laughed, and enjoyed the article, then I remembered my new sig.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think that when computer technology gets to the point where telling the real from the virtual is impossible, I will never ever touch a computer again out of paranoia. I'll just go live in a real world log cabin with no real world connections to the virtual trap. :thumbsup:

I'll be happy to have all your real owrld things if you don't need them in your virtual world.

One thought I'd add to this idea is that perhaps instead of having virtual money at all, people might just use real money. Lots of people would still have to work in the real world, so they'd have to be payed in real world currency. But if people spend the rest of their lives when they aren't at work in a virtual game, might people not just buy their swords and starships with their paychecks instead of Gold Pieces? That way, you wouldn't really have to worry about people being bankers in the virtual world, as they could manage the currency used in both worlds for a living in the real one. I believe there's an MMORPG called Puzzle Pirates what does this. You can pay to play in a world with virtual money, or you can play for free in a world where everything must be bought with real cash.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!