GeCube Radeon X... Series

Actually, I've been quite happy with my Radeon 9800pro. It still handles whatever I throw at it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

well...i got a x600 pro....and it sucks....do you people know the best graphic card used for playing dawn of war, since the textures are sorta of heavily ppixelated and blurred. :blink:

What the hell did you expect.

x600 is the low end card of ATi's new lineup IIRC.

Probably similar to a 9800.

I've got a 9600XT and I've been really happy with it. Good card.

For a good price...either the 6600 GT, as has been suggested, or a 9800XT, or PRO. Those ATI cards, although older, still do kick ass. Not as much as my X850XT PE, but still very good for the price.

Word to the wise...get a card with 256 MB of memory.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Do NOT under any circumstance purchase a card that doesnt support Microsoft DirectX9 PixelShader 3.0 The differance will be enormous when new games that supports it will come (like NWN2)

So a Gf6600 or better is the way to go(since they have it)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Guest Fishboot

Looking at Newegg it looks like ATI made *600 numbered cards the value line rather than the mainstream line like they were in the 9000s. Man, if I stop following the video card releases for a year and then try to come back I'm completely lost. It seems like progress has been kind of slow in terms of bang for your buck - a 2/3 year old card that was once a blockbuster like a 9700 Pro on AGP still benchmarks better than the brand new value cards on PCI express, and if you're willing to go refurb it's cheaper, too.

I've got a GeCube X800XL - I couldn't afford a 6800GT but the XL ofcourse has the "best bang for buck" crown (well I guess the important thing was it was pretty much just as good). Plus ever since the first X800's were released I would usually watch that Double-Cross pre-rendered video and day dream of "one day, I'll run that" - and I have, yay!

when you have no job and no sign of a job a new computer is like a life-long dream

I thought GeCube was some *really* cheapo company, like a Gigabyte ripoff but I guess I'm wrong. I went GeCube X800XL cos it was cheapest X800XL around yet performed better than the other ones inside my price range (from an "X800XL shootout" article).

They've put in some pretty neat designs like that Uni-wise thing and the heat-pipe/fan hybrid which you usually see on like HIS and Sapphire ones - which look cool >_< .

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

9600XT.

The golden rule is never ever buy the newest thing out of the slot; wait till the hype has died down. Classics aren't apparent right away, but they're well worth hunting for a year or so later. (I hold tightly to my Monsoon 5.1 speakers and two Northgate Omnikeys going on 20 years old).

<snip>

I thought GeCube was some *really* cheapo company, like a Gigabyte ripoff but I guess I'm wrong.

</snip>

No kidding.

Guess you're really wrong about Gigabyte too considering they're a large MOBO and card manufacturer, who have been first to come out with solutions compatible with the new AMD CPUs more often than not. :nuke:

:-

Guess you're really wrong about Gigabyte too considering they're a large MOBO and card manufacturer, who have been first to come out with solutions compatible with the new AMD CPUs more often than not.  :shifty:

My Mobo is Gigabyte :p

but their version of the X800XL (the heatpipe only one) was not one of their best designs...

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

and under no circumstances get a 9200, the blasted thing overheats every forty seconds unless you keep the case open, or you want to change the overheat temp in your bios.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Guest Fishboot
9600XT. 

The golden rule is never ever buy the newest thing out of the slot; wait till the hype has died down.  Classics aren't apparent right away, but they're well worth hunting for a year or so later.  (I hold tightly to my Monsoon 5.1 speakers and two Northgate Omnikeys going on 20 years old).

Why would you get a 9600XT? It's markedly inferior to an AGP 6600GT in every benchmark, and more expensive.