Tekken

After seeing Tekken pop up numerous times, I had to ask, is Tekken 5 a step up? My PS2 crapped out a while ago and I've since switched to an XBOX, but find myself missing my favorite fighting game.

Its hard to pick a favorite in this series, so instead I'll list some of my favorite characters: Paul, the Williams sisters ( not Venus and Serena), and Lei Wulong. With an honorable mention to Yoshimitsu.

Most wins in survial mode:15

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Basically I'd say it's a balanced, tweaked version of Tekken 4. Also, it features almost every character ever to appear in a Tekken game (barring Dr. Boskonovich and whatnot) plus a few new ones. They have removed wall tech-roll too. :)"

The AI is at the same time very stupid, and very annoying since it has blatant move read, and very nasty pre-programmed juggles. But it's not the AI that's fun to play against, is it? ;)

The "Devil Within" minigame is rather cringe-worthy, and I wouldn't even mention it if it wasn't for the fact that you need to play it if you want to get money for character customization. You can also play the Arcade mode but the amount of money earned by that in comparison is ridiculous. Unfortunately you don't get money for playing the VS battles. I miss a really fun minigame like T3's "Tekken Ball".

All in all, it's better than T4. If you like Tekken, you will like T5. :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Guest Fishboot
After seeing Tekken pop up numerous times, I had to ask, is Tekken 5 a step up?  My PS2 crapped out a while ago and I've since switched to an XBOX, but find myself missing my favorite fighting game. 

Its hard to pick a favorite in this series, so instead I'll list some of my favorite characters:  Paul, the Williams sisters ( not Venus and Serena), and Lei Wulong.  With an honorable mention to Yoshimitsu.

Most wins in survial mode:15

I haven't played it, but the reputation in fighting game circles is that it's a throwback to T3/TTT with just a few elements of the unpopular T4 retained (T4 was extremely close range with short dangerous backdashes, which made the game extremely aggressive). There is a "patch" for T5 being used in Asian arcades (dubbed Tekken 5.1) that addresses some balance issues that is coming to the US and European arcades soon, but it's unknown if they will create a 5.1 console release in the future. At any rate, the balance problems are nothing a casual player will notice so either version will do unless you plan on seeking out money tournaments.

Whether or not you find Virtua Fighter, DOA, SC, Tekken or one of the various 2D fighters "the most fun" is totally subjective, so just play them all.

It's not. I don't even know what is that. You can play the arcade modes of the 3 first games, though. And I think it also includes some ancient space shoot-'em-up from Namco that you can unlock if you do... stuff.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well I shelled out the bucks and bought a new PS2 and T5 yesterday. Now my wrists and fingers are sore from playing it all night. That end boss in Story mode is an ass! Cheap hitting bastard. He was no match for Lei Wulong (in my fourth continue) though... >_<

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jinpachi is a lame-o. His stun attack is faster than even some jabs, and there's nothing you can do to break the stun. This added to the move read can make him a pain in the ass. Fortunately, the AI is extremely stupid and there is always a move it doesn't know how to defend against. For example Jin/Devil Jin's d+1 connects about 95% of the time. The only real reason to beat Jinpachi is to unlock other characters, so it's just a matter of finding the killer move and spam it.

I never played the fourth one, but in Tag Tournament Lei was sometimes quite unbeatable. Is it so in here too?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest Fishboot
I never played the fourth one, but in Tag Tournament Lei was sometimes quite unbeatable. Is it so in here too?

Depends what you mean. Different characters dominate different skill bands. For complete novices Hwoarang and Christie are "unbeatable", for beginners direct characters like Paul emerge, and so on. Lei was considered "pretty good" although not elite in high level, mature (as in after the game had been out a while) TTT, then he fell down to being considered a very weak character in high level T4, and I believe is considered middle of the pack in T5.

But those high level tiers don't mean much for people that aren't in money matches or regional tournaments - you can tear up your local arcade playing for quarters with any character and some practice (although in T4 Jin was pretty clearly broken, even at the "hanging out in a living room" level of competition/skill). I personally find Lei weak because most of the "tricky" elements of his game go all the way back to Tekken 2 and compared to newer characters like Hwoarang or Raven they're just not that confusing anymore, while the direct elements of his game like his sweep aren't powerful enough to dominate a match.

Lei as far as I know is considered the bottom of the barrel in T5. But even at the competition level, that isn't such a big deal. With enough practice, I've read of people that reached the final stages of tournaments with Kuma or Jack.

I don't pay attention to that, I tend to play with the characters I like, not with those that have 1337 sk1llz.

Fortunately, the AI is extremely stupid and there is always a move it doesn't know how to defend against.

Too true, 213374U. Last night it took hours to beat Jinpachi, this morning in an hour I finished story mode with three characters, unlocking one of my all time faves, Anna Williams! I miss her black and white leaopard outfit... ;)

And that Devil Within games blows donkeyballs, as you said, numbers. I have to do that to unlock Tekken Ball, don't I?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

No. There is no Tekken Ball in T5. No minigames, save for Devil Within and the space shooter (and the "Tekken History" stuff).

I hear that once you beat it, you can get some of the more expensive character customization items there, in place of some of the blue thingies. I can't confirm it, since I haven't been able to bring myself to beat that piece of crap, quite frankly. ;)

With enough practice, I've read of people that reached the final stages of tournaments with Kuma or Jack.

That is amazing. I would have to say Lei is much improved over T4. Paul seems a touch quicker as well. I like some of the new moves for both, but I'm so bloody rusty at this game its going to take a few days to get back in the swing of things.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif