Soul Calibur III

Guest Fishboot

I can't imagine character creation in a fighting game. You can destroy the way most fighters are played by slightly changing the properties of a single move - I can imagine two created characters playing in a disgustingly broken fashion (long distance ring outs, gruesome juggles, etc). Still, very interesting, and Soul Calibur iterations are always beautiful and accessible.

I bet they don't allow development to that extent, they probably let you choose the attack style (i.e. Raphael's rapier, Cervantes dual-wield, Nightmare's massive blade, Voldo's whatever the hell) then design the look of the character and weapons. Of course I could be wrong, and maybe they'll add something like combo assigning (with some key stroke requirement or something).

I think Voldo uses a pair of punching daggers.

I've always liked Mitsurugi, Cervantes, and Taki. I do like Raphael and Nightmare to a much lesser extent. The girl in the end of the video (with the massive chakram looking thing) looks like she could be fun to use too. Time will tell.

Ive wondered that for a long time. One of many things keeping me awake at night. :D

I do like Taki too

As capable of inconvenience, and of some damage and debt to those that would act against my interests, I cannot f*^ng argue with dangerous.

In SC2, I loved Yoshimitsu, Spawn, Nightmare, and Mitsurugi as fighters. But the hottest ones were definitely Ivy, Cassandra, and Seung Mina. :):huh::wub: I'm eager to see what kind of unlockable characters we'll get. One thing I didn't like in SC2 was that your final three unlockable fighters were basically generic, no-name ones who were mere shadows/combinations of existing ones. :( Lizardman was one of them.

Answer this:Without any applied fanboism or rants of other fight'em-ups inferiority; is this series any good?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yup,but Siegfried was a secret character in SC.

He had his own story and if I remember right Nightmare's ending showed him taking back his body after his father's aparition and trying to make amends for his past actions.

Answer this:Without any applied fanboism or rants of other fight'em-ups inferiority; is this series any good?

Yes,well I haven't played 2 just Edge\Blade and SC1

Tekken owns SC.

Hey, you said rants on other games' inferiority, not superiority. ;)"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If you like fighting games you will like Soul Calibur. It has a simple and easy to understand control system, Two buttons for weapon based attacks; one for vertical, one for horizontal. One button controls non-weapon attacks, such as punches or kicks. A fourth button handles guard/blocking. By combining either vertical or horizontal with the non-weapon attack you produce grapples.

Of course there is the detailed combo system, but most characters have combos that are simple enough for you to learn in a few minutes with more complex ones waiting in the trees. The "eight-way-run" system is very responsive to the controls, the only problem I have is when trying to jump to perform combos that require it (thankfully few).

I, personally, think it is the best fighting franchise out there, followed very closely by Tekken.

I must admit though that I am a pretty big fighting game fan/elitist. When there were arcades here I used to tell my girlfriend to leave me alone on friday nights to go play Tekken Tag and Marvel vs. Capcom, for example. I also must admit the only fighting game series I buy are Tekken and the Soul games.

I thought SC2 was better than both Tekken and Mortal Kombat. I felt it had better graphics, better controls, and better combos. I even liked many of the characters better. Hmm...this makes we want to go and play it right now! It's been months since I played that game.

My left thumb has gained a considerably tougher skin because of Tekken Tag. It's evil.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest Fishboot

It's a very button masher friendly series and it doesn't play like a Virtua Fighter where the better player *always* wins, but it's extremely fun and beautiful. It's a great fighter for a circle of friends.

I always abused Astaroth against my buddies - in the first Calibur game he was the only character who had an unparryable throw, which drove my friends crazy.

I remember a fighting game based on the Samurai where you were able to make your own character and choose from a move ist. It was not very good. I can't remember its name, however. I've tried Soul Caliber before but was way more into Tekken. Paul Phoenix for the win!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.