Doom

Diogo Ribeiro

Probably old news but then again I always was a slow dimwit.

The site for the movie based on Doom, id Software's blah shooter is up and running. In it you can find sections with story, trailers, photos, and downloads. There are very few photos at this point (the Rock is almost in all of them, though), and the site feels more like a placeholder.

Still worth a quick look for those that might be interested in the movie, which is slated for an October 21 release in theaters.

The Rock is a supporting actor. Karl Urban is the lead, but they are marketing the whole film about the Rock.

Those that have played the game, and know what happens to the Sarge can expect a repeat of the horrible Mummy Returns CGI fiasco.

I also love how Demons have been replaced with a medical outbreak situation.

The trailer looks horrid.

The Rock isn't the lead? What is that about? He's had a few fairly successful lead roles, while I've never heard of this Karl Urban feller.

The sneak peek disappointed me. I was really hoping for a Resident Evil quality movie (I thought both Resident Evil movies were well done action thrillers). I also really like the lead actress they used in Resident Evil.

When I heard that The Rock was in Doom, I thought they had a good chance of making a decent movie. I think he's a solid actor, and The Rundown was a top notch action movie in my book. Even Standing Tall was a good revenge flick.

Unfortunately, the sneak peek looked pretty lame.

The Rock isn't the lead?  What is that about?  He's had a few fairly successful lead roles, while I've never heard of this Karl Urban feller. 

Karl Urban was in Lord of the Rings... he played Eomer, he was also in The Bourne Supremacy as some Russian dude and I believe he made an appearance in The Chronicles of Riddick...

DL

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

The Rock isn't the lead?  What is that about?  He's had a few fairly successful lead roles, while I've never heard of this Karl Urban feller. 

Karl Urban was in Lord of the Rings... he played Eomer, he was also in The Bourne Supremacy as some Russian dude and I believe he made an appearance in The Chronicles of Riddick...

DL

Correct.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Correct.

Psst. Guys. It's okay.

Hurlshot thinks the Rock can act. There is no point is arguing ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Correct.

Psst. Guys. It's okay.

Hurlshot thinks the Rock can act. There is no point is arguing ...

Were we arguing?

:(

DL

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

The sneak peek disappointed me.  I was really hoping for a Resident Evil quality movie (I thought both Resident Evil movies were well done action thrillers).  I also really like the lead actress they used in Resident Evil.

When I heard that The Rock was in Doom, I thought they had a good chance of making a decent movie.  I think he's a solid actor, and The Rundown was a top notch action movie in my book.  Even Standing Tall was a good revenge flick. 

Unfortunately, the sneak peek looked pretty lame.

May god have mercy on your soul, I mean, he's already taken so much

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Ouch, I'm not saying The Rock is Tom Hanks or anything. I just think he's a decent action flick guy. I like him better than Vin Diesel. It's not like Schwarzenegger was ever a great actor, but he made some pretty awesome action flicks (although how he became governor...)

I'm guessing you people also think wrestling is lame. It's not an interest of mine, but I think it's a pretty impressive display of showmanship. It's not "real" wrestling, but it is difficult work and requires a ton of training and discipline. Hulk Hogan isn't hobbling around on a plastic hip because he "faked" wrestling for years, and he's in better shape than others.

Guest Fishboot

Yeah, looks terrible. They could have at least used this E1M1 cover for the theme music. :thumbsup:

Dark Side of Phobos

I thought the techno/demon juxtaposition would look great on film, but it appears they lost their minds and made the bad guys into Resident Evil style biological experiment monsters, which look like the early '90s grade Z horror monster Pumpkinhead for some reason. And the squad looks like a SWAT team rather than the kind of corporate Hazmat/pressure suited goons of the games. I dunno, it just seems like they were going out of their way to make all of the stuff that made Doom visually and conceptually striking go away.

Guest Fishboot
Even Standing Tall was a good revenge flick.

Walking Tall, and it totally doesn't hold a candle to the '70s hicksploitation flick of which it was a remake. I only hope that Joe Don Baker lives long enough to claim the starring role all '70s B-movie icons are alloted by Quentin Tarantino.

Karl Urban is the lead? :o

well it's good to see a kiwi actor go on to better things than Shortland Street (REALLY bad soap opera in New Zealand, which pretty much EVERY kiwi actor has been in)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I just think he's a decent action flick guy.  I like him better than Vin Diesel.  It's not like Schwarzenegger was ever a great actor, but he made some pretty awesome action flicks (although how he became governor...)

Actually, I think Schwarzenegger is quite a good actor. Try watching Pumping Iron, and tell me he's not a consumate acting professional.

Vin Diesel is a worse actor than Jean-Claude Van Damme, and that's saying something.

Perhaps Arnie got to be Govenator because he has "it", that indefinable charismatic essence that makes people want to watch a film star (like Al Pacino).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 1 month later...

Pardon me for this faul act of necromancy, but there's a new trailer out there which shows the FPS view of the movie, seems kinda strange at first. I have no idea how it will be seeing it on the big screen, but I gotta admit I'm somewhat intriqued. ^_^

Check it out.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fishboot

I'm about to "spoil" Doom. Right-o.

The first reviews are in and.they.really.didn't.do.Hell. And on top of that, they apparently didn't even do Mars, but rather hastily looped dialogue and titles about it over some generic blue-filtered "planet" footage to say it was Mars after they realized that the fans cared. What's the point of licensing Doom without going to Mars and Hell? Hell's the one trace of atmosphere Doom can manage (well, Doom 3 added claustrophobia) outside of zombie and Aliens cliches.

Past that the reviews make it sound insulting in every way. Whee.

Doom doesn't even have the excuse of being a Uwe Boll German tax shelter movie. Gah.

Edited by Fishboot

Sorry, but that first-person viewpoint thing looks extremely dumb.

And they really need to stop addressing Marines as "soldier" in films.

Marines aren't soldiers?

And as far as I know, the idea that the Doom movie didn't include Mars or Hell was a myth. The article about it in PC Gamer stated numerous times that it was on Mars and had demons from Hell.