Revan & the Exile's gender/alignment

why would revan needs to be a hard coded character?  He is perfect as he is.

Also there are many methods of being deleveled without memory loss.

for various reasons, I just think it would be extremely hard to have Revan as PC of K3. I personally would opt for an ambitious scenario where Revan is, indeed, the main protagonist but not the PC. The PC can either cooperate with Revan or cooperate with the enemy.

Exile should become the Master Vrook character of K3....important but not too important.

Actually, whether Revan is light or dark side, he/she is always seen with the hooded mask and robe that he wore when cornered by Bastila before being injured by Malak. Getting around that barrier would be difficult, though.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

As Plano Skywalker has said, I think the better (and easier) would be that both Revan and the Exile where NPCs in K3. Besides, I'd prefer to play with a new character and not with an important character like Revan, who can be unplayable.

And for the original purpose of the topic, I always think about Revan as a DS male (but I could see him like LS), and the Exile... don't know, I really don't think it's as determinant as Revan's identity, so the Exile could be anything.

The apprentice has learned his final lesson.

I usually play both female and male characters (me=girl, 19). For some reason I chose to play female when I first started K1, and there he was, this incredibly handsome, brave, charming pilot/soldier, and when he said "I'm all ears, beautiful", there was no turning back. :"> I fell totally, completely, utterly in love with Carth, so there is only one kind of Revan for me, and that is LSF. :">

(K2 was worth 50 euros just because of the moment near end, where the Exile meets Carth, who's waiting for Revan to come back..)

I think it was because of my "extremely deep emotional experience" in K1, why I decided to play female Exile also. And I'm not really into DS, so my Exile was LS too.

I think I'll try to play both games with a male character next, but I think Revan and the Exile will always be women for me. :)

Don't you guys think, that if Revan or the Exile would have had to be of certain gender, they wouldn't have given us the choice?

After all, IMO, RPG is always a very personal experience.

It is good to have some variety. In my opinion there must not be a big difference dependng on the PC's gender. In K1 The difference was quite small- romances with party members and some new dialoge. Even after you set Revan's gender the changes are quite small. In K2 the situation is different- the best example is the choice characters-the Handmaiden and the Disciple. Quite a bad idea in my opinion. Havig different characters depending on your alignment is a GREAT idea and I wish there were hore such choices in the game, not only Mira and Hanhar. Back on the Discipe/Handmaiden issue. They both have what to say and havd their share of the story. You miss quite a lot of the storyline by having only one of them. As I mentioned above the main difference should come from your alignment and not your gender. Being light or dark is what should really matter. Well, this is my opinion, at least.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

Don't you guys think, that if Revan or the Exile would have had to be of certain gender, they wouldn't have given us the choice?

True, except they forgot one thing: EU and EU fans. They want Revan in the EU. And, in order to be in the EU, one must have a hard-coded identity. They truely did not understand what they were getting into.

Exile is really just a backstory (and somewhat customizable at that)...they pretty much got it right with Exile. Revan, on the other hand, is an out-and-out pregen.

That made it extremely easy to tell the story and extremely easy to avoid a proper darkside path but it came at a significant cost: the gamers want to say goodbye to Revan while the EU fans want to learn more and more about him and want him to be the hero of K3. But because of the the non-feasibility of develeling him AGAIN, the only way to include him (as I see it) is to hard-code him.

True, except they forgot one thing: EU and EU fans. They want Revan in the EU. And, in order to be in the EU, one must have a hard-coded identity. They truely did not understand what they were getting into.

Exile is really just a backstory (and somewhat customizable at that)...they pretty much got it right with Exile. Revan, on the other hand, is an out-and-out pregen.

That made it extremely easy to tell the story and extremely easy to avoid a proper darkside path but it came at a significant cost: the gamers want to say goodbye to Revan while the EU fans want to learn more and more about him and want him to be the hero of K3. But because of the the non-feasibility of develeling him AGAIN, the only way to include him (as I see it) is to hard-code him.

I agree with Plano. Revan is now a EU character, and the Exile can't compare with him/her, and the only option (and the one I'd choose) is to define how and what he/she is.

The apprentice has learned his final lesson.

Then you could never use pronouns when talking about Revan. It would always be "Revan stabbed him and then Revan ran" instead of "Revan stabbed him and then he ran"

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

actually i prefer to called Revan a he as a gender neutral pronoun.

He thought that both Bastila and Carth are cute.

That could Revan as a Male is either bisexual or very secure in his sexuality.

that can hold true if Revan was a female.

Another thing, why I do think that Revan is good as he is because you would either upset the gamers or the EU fanatic either way.

all star wars related video games are techinally EU. So Leaving Revan solely in the Video game world and Leaving Revan as he is will be alright.

Revan's a lightside male. If you disagree then email Lucasfilm with your complaints. :huh:

But honestly, I felt K1 made more sense with a male Revan. The Carth romance with the female PC was very shallow and there didn't seem to be much of a bond until the very end. Whereas the Bastila romance was more fleshed out and really had a more important part of the story attached to it (getting Bastila to turn back to the light because she "loves" you). Not to mention Malak seemed like the type that would only follow men. He seemed like the sexist, bulky jock-like character that would never follow a "puny girl".

In K2, the bets are off. I could see the Exile being either, although a female Exile does have a better ring to it since this time the romance was probably more fleshed out for Atton as opposed to Handmaiden and because of the past with Atris and Kreia.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

For some reason the male PC's in both games get the better things and the storyline seemes better. I hope in KotOR III(if there is any, of course) the situation will be different, just for no other reason than having variety. As I mentioned on my previous post, the gender should not really matter.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

I suspect that Revan's story will eventually be told in EU media outside the video games. However, the question is when.

I have to admit, if they can find a credible way to keep Revan as PC then that would have the benefit of keeping Revan out of the other media for a much longer amount of time.

The longer they can delay ticking off the gamers who want an ambiguous identity, the better for the franchise. Ideally, the best time to hard code Revan is when he is no longer the flavor of the month.

He will continue to be the flavor of the month until his story is put to rest (presumably in K3). The absolute worst thing they can do (albeit the most convenient) is to use Revan as Charlie from Charlie's Angels....an ever-present plot device that never gets resolution.

But I think the story just makes more sense if Revan is male, and the Exile is female.

Why do people say this? The story is exactly the same male or female. The romance is different not the story. A little dialog is different not the story. Your still Revan, Bastila still scarcifices herself, she still turns to the darkside and you still have to kill Malak. The only thing that changes the story is your choice on the Temple Summit.

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

different strokes for Different folks.

I am talking the gamers(as in a RPG) that Revan and Exile should stay in the video game as what THEY ARE.

If either of them are outside of their media, there will be a chance to ruin their aura/appeal.

Side Stories that RELATED to Kotor is one thing but KOTOR is first and foremost a video game.