Computer Fiddling

Kaftan Barlast

Everything was going fine with the install of my new Zalman VF700 CU GFX cooler until I made a slight booboo :lol: Asus had put far too much therma grease on the GPU core so when i tried to remove it, some ended up on the tiny microconduits around the core. Ive sepnt 30min cleaning it with tops & Isopropanol but it seems impossible to get it completely 100% clean.

x868_gf6800u_core_big.jpg

(this is an older core but you can see the tiny conduit-thingies around the core itself)

The grease is grey so i asume its silver based and commercial ones dont lead electricity but Im not sure what ASUS have been using, or if the conduits are even vulnerable in the first place.

Dad the engineer says its fine but a friend of mine whos a fiddler says I shouldnt take any chances. What do you think?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I did a second round of cleaning using a tops and more isopropanol and it is now as clean as can be. Ill mount the cooler now and we'll see if this works.

but the card sure looks ugly now :lol: the stock cooler is bad and noisy but atleast it had some visual panage

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, Im writing this from my computer now with tye card installed so I guess its working this far. Temperature level seems ok, havent really checked noise

Dang, this *** is quiet!! :lol: ..except now the PSU fan seems to be going against something or has a faulty ball bearing or somesuch.. I can hear a faint "rrrr" from it

I only obey Swedish spellmar.