Futuristic Covert Ops?

Lancer

Most tabletop RPGs that feature covert operatives tend to be in "modern" settings. However, I have been searching for a guidebook which explains how to run covert ops in a futuristic setting....

The only PnP game that has "futuristic" covert ops that I know of is SLA Industries (A good CRPG analogue would be "Deus Ex" except I am looking for something even further into the future).

But I am really looking for more of a general sourcebook along the lines of GURPS Covert Ops except concentrating on futuristic covert ops. Does such a guidebook exist?

image002.gifLancer

I think the problem will be the technology of the setting. Covert Ops have been around as long as humans have had secrets (that's a long time).

Technology directly effects the covert ops, because it can help hide the existence of a person, as well as detect them.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think the problem will be the technology of the setting. Covert Ops have been around as long as humans have had secrets (that's a long time).

Technology directly effects the covert ops, because it can help hide the existence of a person, as well as detect them.

Yeah... This is true.. It might be that the basic profession of the covert op hasn't really changed much throughout time. The only real variable of concern is the technology available to the op (which depends on the time period).

In that case going through GURPS Ultra-Tech I/II, Robots, and Bio-tech and picking out the appropriate covert op weapons for a futuristic game might be the best solution to this.

Except.. it would be nice to get a sourcebook that gives comprehensive advice on how to run a covert ops campaign (not just a technology listing like GURPS Covert Ops was).

image002.gifLancer

Most tabletop RPGs that feature covert operatives tend to be in "modern" settings. However, I have been searching for a guidebook which explains how to run covert ops in a futuristic setting....

The only PnP game that has "futuristic" covert ops that I know of is SLA Industries (A good CRPG analogue would be "Deus Ex" except I am looking for something even further into the future).

But I am really looking for more of a general sourcebook along the lines of GURPS Covert Ops except concentrating on futuristic covert ops. Does such a guidebook exist?

What about Shadowrun?

The term Shadowrunner is someone who runs covert ops in the future.

What about Shadowrun?

The term Shadowrunner is someone who runs covert ops in the future.

I wouldn't really consider a "shadowrunner" to be a covert op.

I was thinking more of traditional military/intelligence agency covert op.. i.e. More like a futuristic James Bond over say a cybered streetpunk.

image002.gifLancer

I haven't sat down and read them yet but, Dream Pods's "Heavy Gear" core rule book and the new 5ed. "Dark Champions" rulebook look to have some advice for covert ops...

However, school just started again so it will get progressively harder to find time to read these things.

Also explains why you guys won't hear from me as much for the next few months :)

image002.gifLancer

Ninjas are covert ops, grasshopper.

:)

True. but I was thinking of more military/intelligence agency covert ops.

Think Deus Ex, Syphon Filter, and Metal Gear Solid except further into the future and that would be hitting the nail on the head.

image002.gifLancer

A Shadowrunner performs ops covertly. They are illegal, and one must rely on stealth and gadgets.

I was thinking more of traditional military/intelligence agency covert op.. i.e. More like a futuristic James Bond over say a cybered streetpunk.

You said in the future. Take James Bond and put him in the future and he'd be a Shadowrunner.

A Shadowrunner performs ops covertly. They are illegal, and one must rely on stealth and gadgets.

You said in the future. Take James Bond and put him in the future and he'd be a Shadowrunner.

Take James Bond in the future and he'd be Denton in Deus Ex.

The operative phrase is "traditional military/intelligence" agency. Shadowrunners tend to work for an illegal individual, a drug lord, (i.e "Mr. Johnson") which does not fit the government/intelligence agency requirement. Covert ops like Gabe in Syphon Filter, or Denton in Deus Ex, or James Bond work for a governmental agency.

Shadowrunners are hired illegal streetpunks (hence cyberpunk or "tech goth") and not covert operatives much in the same way that street thugs aren't covert ops.

image002.gifLancer

The operative phrase is "traditional military/intelligence" agency. Shadowrunners tend to work for an illegal individual, a drug lord, (i.e "Mr. Johnson") which does not fit the government/intelligence agency requirement. Covert ops like Gabe in Syphon Filter, or Denton in Deus Ex, or James Bond work for a governmental agency.

Shadowrunners are hired illegal streetpunks (hence cyberpunk or "tech goth") and not covert operatives much in the same way that streeth thugs aren't covert ops.

You're looking for a rules system, right?

Shadowrun would work for that. Make the PC a government agent instead of a freelance merc and there you go.

You're looking for a rules system, right?

Shadowrun would work for that.  Make the PC a government agent instead of a freelance merc and there you go.

And that's the thing.. changing the PC from a freelanc merc to a government agent will be very different in the details. It is one thing to have a Mr. Johnson to work for.. But it is a totally different beast altogether when it is the CIA.

And I am not looking for a ruleset..Actually, I already have one(FUZION). I just wanted to see if there was a guidebook that specifically went over how to design and run a covert ops campaign down to how to become one, agency details, training, procedures, perks and what not.

image002.gifLancer

Given that any knowledge one might have of a covert government agency is based on fiction, and that this is set in the future to boot, I don't know what you're looking for.

You apparently want this to be like Deus Ex, then why not model it after Deus Ex?

You have a setting in mind, and a rules system. What are you looking for?

You apparently want this to be like Deus Ex, then why not model it after Deus Ex?

Games like Deus Ex and Syphon Filter are definite sources of inspiration! :thumbsup:

You have a setting in mind, and a rules system.  What are you looking for?

Procedures on creating fictional agencies....Agency structure, ranks, how to get promoted, how to become a covert op within the said agency...etc

Futuristic covert op equipment lists...What we think covert op technology and equipment would be like 100 or so years from now based on our own guesses from contemporary science fiction....and so on

image002.gifLancer

Procedures on creating fictional agencies....Agency structure, ranks, how to get promoted, how to become a covert op within the said agency...etc

Again, this would be largely based on fiction and set in the future anyway, so you could get away with making anything up here.

But I'm pretty sure in agencies like the FBI and CIA it is just Agent, Special Agent, Department Chief, Assistant Director and Director. There aren't a whole lot of ranks usually. It's not like the military.

How people get promoted would be completely up to you. I don't think there are hard and fast rules for this, nor should there be.

Futuristic covert op equipment lists...What we think covert op technology and equipment would be like 100 or so years from now based on our own guesses from contemporary science fiction....and so on

Again, Shadowrun gives a good equipment list for covert op technology in the future. Cyberpunk as well to a lesser extent. That game focuses more on cybered-up-super-characters in combat and less on covert ops.

Again, Shadowrun gives a good equipment list for covert op technology in the future.  Cyberpunk as well to a lesser extent.  That game focuses more on cybered-up-super-characters in combat and less on covert ops.

I'll remember to look at my Shadowrun/Cyberpunk equipment listings again. :)

image002.gifLancer