The PS3 without a HD? Guess what the Xbox 360 ...

Drakron

"From Software producer Masanori Takeuchi, who's been working on Enchant Arm, a role-playing game slated to be an Xbox 360 launch title, said developers will also be running into issues of storage space in the next generation. While the Xbox 360 is a next-generation console, Microsoft decided to equip it with a normal DVD reader rather than give it HD-DVD or Blu-ray reading capabilities.

'The volume of data in Enchant Arms won't fit into a single DVD. It's an RPG, so we're thinking it would be inevitable that we release it on two discs," says Takeuchi. "But to be honest, that's even looking grim.' "

Who was that bonehead again that tried to convince us all that the Xbox 360's normal DVD was actually a step in forward (into the future!!1) while the PS3's BluRay was crap and not useful for 10 years? A launch title for the Xbox 360 is having problems with space on TWO DVD's!

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/30/news_6132218.html

Who the hell expected that next generation titles will fit into 1-2 DVD's? Jade Empire(Xbox) was on a Dual-layer-DVD (7Gb) and Shadow Hearts Covenant(PS2) demanded a whopping 2 regular DVD's.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Same here, but not for $400 at launch.  I *might* talk Sarah into letting me get one say in a year or so after launch if it drops down to the $300 range for the uber-version.

The $400 model is a limited run from what I have read. After its done you will need to buy the package separately which will cost more.

Eh I'll still end up shelling out the money for the $400 XBox360 and I'll end up picking up Oblivion and Madden If only because the Revolution has yet, to my knowledge, name anyone other than Nintendo to allow use of older games and if they will have foreign games availble for download. Also Sony occasionally has problems with their first batch of systems (PSP, PS2)

While you're at it, pick up some of those D-Skins for your discs at EBgames, GameSpot or whatever. They're basically these awesome transparent "condoms" for your discs, protecting them from scratches & other nasties. And what's more, you just leave them on, as the DVD reader as no probs with it. :cool:

manthing2.jpg

While you're at it, pick up some of those D-Skins for your discs at EBgames, GameSpot or whatever.  They're basically these awesome transparent "condoms" for your discs, protecting them from scratches & other nasties.  And what's more, you just leave them on, as the DVD reader as no probs with it.  :cool:

Thanks for the info. :p

If the D-Skins are cheap I'll likely pick some up for my PS2 games, but my XBox games are all on the HDD now.

I think it's funny how M$ was talking about how they alone are ushering in the HD era. They said a future console absolutely needs a HDD, an that the HD era also means wireless.

Does the XBox 360 come with a wireless headset or controller? No.

Does the XBox 360 support 1080p? No.

Does the XBox 360 play high-def movies? No.

Does the XBox 360 support next-gen DVD formats? No.

Does the XBox 360 come with a HDD? No.

Where is Epiphany again?

There is more.

"There's no doubting that NVIDIA's new 7800GTX is the ultimate in PC graphics technology. The card's G70 GPU, which is more than twice as powerful as two of NVIDIA's previous top-of-the-line 6800 boards, shares a lot of similar workings with the PS3's RSX chip - only it isn't as fast. Oh, and it retails for $599."

So the 7800GTX sells for $600 where as the PS3 will likely be in the $300-$400 range and have a more powerful GPU overall.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9132/PlaySta...n-GeForce-7800/

Does it matter? By the time KOTOR III hits the shelves, PC will be having an upper hand over the Xbox360 and PS3

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Even when the PC overtakes consoles again in overall power, consoles will still be considerably cheaper. The fact that a $300 console can provide more power right now than a $2,000 gaming PC is saying something.

And if you don't care for consoles, then don't read or post in console threads.

As much as I dislike consoles I care, cause consoles are deciding about PC gaming - best example is KOTOR series. Avellone admitted that during development he was limited by xbox obsolete abilities. Have KOTOR been developed for PC only, it could be a game with much bigger swing.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Avellone admitted that during development he was limited by xbox obsolete abilities.

While what you say is true - let's face reality Nurbs: A few lighting effect here and some shading there is hardly going to make a significant difference ("box obsolete abilities" or no), because they were simply recycling the same old engine.

Therefore it would be more accurate to say that Avellone & Crew were limited by their engine, or lack of as the case may be - as such, the real limiting factor of constraint is the short development time given by LA.

manthing2.jpg

The only feature that we know that was cut do the the XBox was hoods going up and down. The XBox provided small graphical limitations. LucasArts could have spent another year on development and made a killer XBox 360 title, but they opted for a cheap and quick development.

LucasArts could have spent another year on development and made a killer XBox 360 title, but they opted for a cheap and quick development.

Ha - Not to mention we would have been told the real story Chris & Co. were trying to tell with K2.

Note to would be developers: Take your sweet time when developing, and if necessary slap you publisher in the face with catfish if they try and rush you! But don't pull a Van Buren...that would be bad.

manthing2.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60737

Lots of interesting info about the Xbox 360. If anyone's interested.

It's too bad both these new consoles will be so damn expensive. I don't think I can afford both, and I might even end up with the Xbox 360 if it turns out it'll be getting a lot of good games AND be much cheaper the PS3. We'll see.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hmmm... I don't think of J.E. Sawyer and worse or any better for being a part of those two groups. WOuld have liked to play those games but they are the past and cancelled, and therefore irrelevant.

In any case I vehemently opposed J.E.'s reasoning to place Grenade use with the melee skill. You just don't use Grenades in melee. Its a good way to lose an arm.

Likewise, the System blade allows greater control over family settings. Microsoft thinks this is very important, Satchell said, and will therefore allow all manner of controls at a system or individual profile level. You can choose to allow specific people or the whole system access to certain games, DVDs (based on ratings - apparently "99 per cent" of DVDs now supply that information direct to the console), and areas of Live. Online, you can opt to ban certain friends, voice messaging, video messaging (if the camera is available), downloadables or just control online play.

"Johnny isn't allowed to see a set of boobies"

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60737

Lots of interesting info about the Xbox 360. If anyone's interested.

It's too bad both these new consoles will be so damn expensive. I don't think I can afford both, and I might even end up with the Xbox 360 if it turns out it'll be getting a lot of good games AND be much cheaper the PS3. We'll see.

I haven't heard anything official on PS3 pricing. There was plenty of speculation on XBox 360 pricing as well. Some said $300 and some said $600.

The PS3 won't have an uber-model with a hard drive, just a basic package. I imagine they might sell it for $350.

Most consoles historically have sold most of their units at $150 or less. When these get down to the $200 mark, I imagine they will sell like hotcakes.

Wow. This shocked me when I read it.

As Valve demonstrated with Half-Life 2, true-to-life physics can have a lasting impact on gameplay, and next-generation should prove that notion even more so.

What's interesting, however, is how this plays out between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. At the European Game Developers Conference, Extreme Tech noted that the company confirmed plans to offer software-based rendering for single and dual-core PCs, PCs decked out with PhysX chips and software versions for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

That makes sense to offer development solutions on all platforms, but what's interesting is Ageia's report that Xbox 360 can't handle all of the PhysX's features because of architecture limitations. PhysX offers technologies ranging from physical object interactions to fluid-based particle effects like water and smoke and reportedly only PS3 and PCs will be able to handle all the goods.

What will Xbox 360 miss out on? PhysX's fluid-based technology. How exactly that impacts Xbox 360's future is for all intents and purposes minimal, but it's strange to see a split between the two machines after such rabid debate over which one had the edge.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143371

Guest Fishboot

Does anyone know if x-box 2s will be compatible with x-box 1 controllers? I love the old style monstro-pads and I don't want to use one of the Japanese controllers.