Im going to game development school

I tried to find the old thread but sems to have got lost somewhere. Anyway now it has been confirmed(a while ago actually) that I was accepted into a game development program in the University of Gotland, Sweden.

The Swedish Uni system works a bit different than the English or US counterparts, but its split into programming and graphics and Im into graphics. Unfortunantly, they work with 3DS Max and Ive been a Maya man so Ill have to learn a whole new toolset.

I really hope we are going to have some time over to use the Universitys wicked gadgets(like the MoCap studio) to make some really sweet mods :D With luck, I might even get to do NWN2 modules as an official project when that comes out

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sweet. Since we knew you before you became famous (if you become famous) we get a free copy of any games you happen to work on right?

*wonders how many of Chris A's old high school "buddies" get in touch with him out of the blue when he/his company releases a new game* :-"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Congrats cool that you got in.

Out of curiousity how many student per year does that program have?

And does it fill said places based on grades alone of do you have to do work samples? (I think you mentioned an interview or something in the old thread didn't you?)

Well, another budding artist lost to family entertainment. No biggie.

Just kidding. :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Only bad point in getting into gaming industry is lack of women.

Yeah, I just realised that my class is most likely going to consist of a bunch of sweaty geeks. And they wont even have cool beards like they did in the 70's :thumbsup:

Congrats cool that you got in.

Out of curiousity how many student per year does that program have?

And does it fill said places based on grades alone of do you have to do work samples? (I think you mentioned an interview or something in the old thread didn't you?)

20 per year and youre judged by work samples. It wasnt an interview just a teacher calling everyone who applied for a bit of a chat. She said that they primarily looked for creativity not, skills, so that might explain how i got in :D Oh, and you had to write a personal letter why you wanted to dedicate your life to making games :rolleyes:

The nice thing about this education is the wide spectrum of things you learn, its not just making 3D graphics, DirectX and stuff but a whole lot of Dev stuff. For instance theres a class in "Game balance and level design" for online multiplayers games or one for "interactive drama". It seems very interesting.

The really nice thing is that you will get to make games, the class will work like a developer and there will be talent scouts from big publishers popping in once in a while to check out what were doing. A friend of mine got a contract for the game he was making with his friends.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It just means you have to look outside the course for social life. Difficult for geeks, I know (difficult for most people to step outside their comfort circle), but I think Kaftan has more than adequate social skills. And a doggie! Doggies are teh r0x0rz!1 for meeting females. :)

Oh, and congrats again, Kaftan. :luck:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, good luck Kafty. Enlighten the masses. :wub:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I start up my trial version of 3DsMax7 and I discover that there doesnt seem to be any quick button for changing the view(zoom, scroll, tilt etc.) but each of those functions except scroll has to be selected by clicking an icon..

This cant be right, can it?

I start up my trial version of 3DsMax7 and I discover that there doesnt seem to be any quick button for changing the view(zoom, scroll, tilt etc.) but each of those functions except scroll has to be selected by clicking an icon..

Never used it. :p It probably allows for customisations, though. Like ascribing functions to hot-keys and possibly mouse buttons and graphics tablet points ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

As I recall, you use the mouse to zoom in and zoom out as well as to move from one side to another. When using a roller ball it makes more sense to me than using a regular mouse.

Im leaving tomorrow and Ive got a fever, my stomach is in rebellion and my heart starts racing as soon as I wake up in the morning. I sure pick good times to get sick, dont I ?

Im leaving tomorrow and Ive got a fever, my stomach is in rebellion and my heart starts racing as soon as I wake up in the morning. I sure pick good times to get sick, dont I ?

Don't worry you'll be alright >_<

Good luck then :-

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul."

------------------------------------------------------------------------