My annoying companions

Just going for another playthrough (I'm trying really to appreciate this game in spite of everything) anyway, one of the most annoying things which I had forgotten about was when I target an enemy my two companions go straight for them, and I am lucky to get a hit in before they are dead.

I realise that the exile has this effect whereby everyone follows his lead, but surely this could have been implemented so we are not all going for the same kill against a group of enemies. So my question is can I stop this happening, I realise I could go solo as much as possible but that isn't really in the spirit of this game. It just seems a bit cheap somehow as in K1 everyone seemed to get their own fight happening. Does anyone else find this annoying?

Just going for another playthrough (I'm trying really to appreciate this game in spite of everything) anyway, one of the most annoying things which I had forgotten about was when I target an enemy my two companions go straight for them, and I am lucky to get a hit in before they are dead.

I realise that the exile has this effect whereby everyone follows his lead, but surely this could have been implemented so we are not all going for the same kill against a group of enemies. So my question is can I stop this happening, I realise I could go solo as much as possible but that isn't really in the spirit of this game. It just seems a bit cheap somehow as in K1 everyone seemed to get their own fight happening. Does anyone else find this annoying?

Cycle through the different AI modes to find one you like. I generally find that Jedi Support and Ranged/Grenadier are a lot more useful than "Aggressive". There's also a Stationary mode where they won't attack until you attack.

i think that the should have improved the ai of all computercontroled characters including enemies.

i personally get very irritated when i am salvaging a mine and my compagnions run straight through the minefield ( i know you can set their modes to stationary, but i rather liked to see that the developement of the characters skill in awareness and demolitions determined if the characters would see and avoid mines instead of the attackmodes)

I've had the "problem" too. The best way to fix it is to set the AI options for you companions to Jedi Support, Ranged, or Stationary depending on relevance. It doesn't solve the problem, but it does help some.

Unfortunately Obsidian never got the AI working to their own satisfaction, and that has hurt the game here :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how everyone feels about using "mods", but this is a tweaked version of the game's AI created by stoffe -mkb- :

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=147559

It's probably one of the most popular tweaks to date over at Holowan, and it's a very simple installation... just drop the compiled .ncs files in your override folder :blink:

This post, in the specified link above, contains the actual download link, but I'd highly suggest those interested to read through the thread ;)

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?...840#post1798840

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!

i think that the should have improved the ai of all computercontroled characters including enemies.

Obsidian explained in a recent magazine article that they tried to improve the AI but found it was too complicated and difficult a task for the short time available to them. The end result is probably no different to Kotor 1.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Obsidian explained in a recent magazine article that they tried to improve the AI but found it was too complicated and difficult a task for the short time available to them. The end result is probably no different to Kotor 1.

Didn't the article also explain that the AI was done so late in the development process that they didn't really have time to go back and check to see it worked properly? Or was that something else?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The NPC AI was something they admitted starting to work on too late in the process to have much effect.

I typically leave Mandalore, Mira, and Atton on "ranged" (even after converting Mira and Atton) - this keeps them at distance, using blasters, etc. until and enemy attacks them in melee. While it doesn't keep them from killing off your targets as you're charging into melee, it helps.

Kreia, Visas, Handmaiden, Disciple are left on Jedi Support (I usually don't use HM in the party until after converting her).

HK-47, T3-M4, G0-T0 = stationary - works best for ranged weapons, and generally keeps them out of melee.

Hanharr = aggressive (what else?).

Grenadier theoretically should encourage your party members to attack enemies other than your targets (default attack is with grenades, unless they'll affect another party member - but I haven't tried this much - I usually sell or breakdown grenades).

When strictly going after mines (the minefield on Telos, for example) I usually go solo, leaving the others out of sight. It's a little more frustrating during the Onderon battle, but even after they charge up the Sky Ramp or down the palace passageways (through the minefields), there's usually one or two mines left to clean up for XP.

I wondering, does anyone else never level-up or use the potential jedi until they've been trained, or is it just me?

Atton is always the odd man out early in the game when I play, because the Exile and Kreia keep advancing in levels while Atton is stuck with his blaster in the back of the group at level 3 and frequently biting the dust because his defense and vitality doesn't give him many chances. Poor Atton... :"> ;)"

I do use Bao-Dur, because he's higher level when he joins the group (and besides, I need him to open force fields in the old military base), but he's still stuck at his initial level 6 until he's "jedified"...

This means that once I get Visas in the group, it's usually Exile, Kreia, and Visas in the group, while rest are stuck on the Ebon Hawk, unless I want to build influence for them in a specific situation (but then they go in the group, have the encounter, then get booted again immediately...).

This usually means that Handmaiden or Disciple, T3, Atton and Bao-Dur are used very little for a long time. Mira can be switched to jedi almost on the spot when she joins the group, though the battle with Hanharr is indeed tough... HK-47 and GOTO I hardly ever use, nor Hanharr is I'm DS...

I wondering, does anyone else never level-up or use the potential jedi until they've been trained, or is it just me?

i let Atton level up a bit (till about 10 or so), because sneak attack can be quite handy in some situations

Bao Dur i occasionally let him level up a couple of levels (for some extra skill points)

Mira i ALWAYS leave as a scout (at least until level 21)

i leave Handmaiden alone until i can convert her

Disciple i level up until i have a decent amount of feats, then i convert him

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

It isn't just you. The hardest part is the Mira/Hanharr fight as a lightsider, but I find that I can win that by kiting Hanharr. (run around the room, pausing every now and then to shoot him once and then turn and run again.

i found that defeating hanharr wasn't all that difficult to do; just make sure mira is a jedi, has a strong lightsaber(doublebladed)and far developed healing powers(masterlevel) and enough medpacks/lifesupportpacks.

then just hit him-heal-hit heal-hit heal and so on the only two 'people'that i found were more difficult to beat is the large monsterbeast and kreia

I also equip two melee/lightsaber -combatants in the party and one ranged.

ranged mostly; mandalore,all the droids(although i hardly use them),atton, bao-dur

i found that defeating hanharr wasn't all that difficult to do; just make sure mira is a jedi, has a strong lightsaber(doublebladed)and far developed healing powers(masterlevel) and enough medpacks/lifesupportpacks.

then just hit him-heal-hit heal-hit heal and so on the only two 'people'that i found were more difficult to beat is the large monsterbeast and kreia

I also equip two melee/lightsaber -combatants in the party and one ranged.

ranged mostly; mandalore,all the droids(although i hardly use them),atton, bao-dur

I was referring to the first time Mira faces Hanharr... you know, when she's level 6 and he's equal level to the PC? If you don't level her up so that she can have maximum levels as a jedi, then that fight can be hard....

So you run circles around the arena, and stop every now and then to fire at him. Couple that with a mandalorian melee shield, a few medpacks, and the ability to use an item from inventory without it taking up a combat action, and the fight isn't as difficult. It's still not easy, though.

Actually, the hardest fight I had in the game was against one of the mandalorians in the battle circle at their camp. Of course, that was as a Sentinel/Watchman, with JdNoa's crazy rebalance mod that raises the enemies' levels, and at the same time reduces the attack bonus for that class to 3/4. I had enough damage reduction against bludgeoning and regen that he couldn't make a dent against me, but his defense was so high that I basically only hit him on crits. That fight too half an hour :thumbsup: