nVidia 7800GT released

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25344

...let the price wars really begin... :)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

The 7800GT has been out for weeks already.

..and youre looking at the guy who bought a full price 6800U the day before they released the 7800's :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Which one has better pixellated boobies, nVidia 7800 GT or Radeon x800 GT?

...7800GT...the X800GT's gonna be a value card wit' only 8 pipelines (much like the 6600GT, only a bit cheaper)... :)

...mmmmmmm...pixellated boobies...*drools*... :p

The 7800GT has been out for weeks already.

...wrong...the 7800GTX has been out fer weeks, the 7800GT was just released yesterday... :)

..and youre looking at the guy who bought a full price 6800U the day before they released the 7800's  :p

...there's a swift kick in the mustn't-touch-it, eh???... :lol:

Did it say it's overclocked out of the box? 

Doesn't that just mean it's already squeezed all the performance you can out of it...unlike an ATI card you can jack up the performance of by tweaking it.

...some versions are OCed out of the box...the eVGA version is clocked at 445mHz, but in testing it's already been pushed to 490mHz no problem (I'll try to find the site I read it from yesterday)...still lots o' potential... :alien:

Processors arent that important for gaming, I have a 2gHz AMD 64 "Venice" and that will do all I want it to. Its all about the GPU :alien:

..and the RAM

and I think the big deal with the FX vs. Regular 64 props are the

128-bit integrated DDR memory controller

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Also Sargy, as I haven't looked at such things in awhile because I didn't want to tempt a broken wallet....what's the difference between the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and the AMD Athlon FX-55...besides $575 and 512 MB of L2 Cache. 

How do they stack up against each other...

...well, first, if you're lookin' at the FX-55, don't; look at the FX-57 (2.8gHz 1M L2 cache compared to 2.6gHz for $100 more as of now, prolly droppin' soon)...as fer the differences; well, the FX series be the "flagship" o' AMD's single core line, fastest gamin' procs on the market...is it worth it???...imho, no; braggin' rights ain't worth $600...if yer in the market fer an AMD 64, go fer the 3700+ (2.2gHz 1M L2 cache fer $360 CND, only a few bucks more than the 3500+ an' the extra cache is worth the cash) or the 4000+ (2.4 gHz 1M L2 cache fer $480 CND)...or ya could go dual core wit' the 3800+ (2.0 gHz 512K L2 cache) fer the sweet price o' $460 CND or go big wit' the 4400+ (2.2 gHz 1M L2 cache) fer $700 CND...prices are slowly trickling down, so the price/performance ratio is gettin' much better...personally, I'm goin' 4400+ fer me new rig... :alien:

The regular Athlon 64's also have the dual-channel on-chip memory controller. The difference between the regular and the FX is as follows:

1. The FX is the highest-clocked A64. Originally, AMD intended to keep just one FX as part of their lineup. So, when the FX-55 came about, the FX-53 was renamed as the Athlon 64 4000+. Unfortunately, AMD's dual-core nomenclature has completely messed things up, and so they could not rename the FX-55 even though the FX-57 is here.

2. The FX's have their clock multipliers unlocked. What this means is that you are free to overclock the chip by twiddling with the multiplier, and changing the factor with which the bus clock is multiplied to get the core clock. Most processors (regular Athlon 64's, Pentium 4's) have their multipliers *locked*, which means that the only way to overclock your processor is to overclock the bus itself, which results in everything else connected to the bus (memory etc.) being overclocked.

3. The FX's have ridiculous prices. Last I ckecked, the FX57 was going at $1020. The Intel Extreme Editions have similar prices. That is simply unjustifiable. No matter how rich or foolish you are, that processor is not worth that much. It's not a matter of my opinion, it's just a simple fact: Whoever buys an FX-57 today does not know what they are doing.

So...this Intel Extreme Edition was a bad buy for gaming?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

So...this Intel Extreme Edition was a bad buy for gaming?

...yes...AMD kicks Intel's arse in gamin'...sorry fer the bad news, lad... :-

Damn it...though this 256MB X850XT PE, and 2 gigs of ram should last me a while...right?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Th FX-57 just sounds like a hopped up 64 San Diego to me, in fact I can see no other differance than that it is available in higher clock speeds.

"Thoughtcrime is death. Thoughtcrime does not entail death. Thoughtcrime is death."

Damn it...though this 256MB X850XT PE, and 2 gigs of ram should last me a while...right?

...unless yer inta heavy graphic editin'/renderin' an' such, 2 gigs o' memory be useless atm...the X850XT PE be a great high-end GPU an'll be good fer awhile yet, e'en if the 7800GT matches it an' then some in many games... :-

Th FX-57 just sounds like a hopped up 64 San Diego to me, in fact I can see no other differance than that it is available in higher clock speeds.

...the FX series has always been fer the "mine's bigger than yers" geeks... :-

unlocked multipliers

My 64 "Venice" also have unlocked multipliers. The last prop I recall that had locked multipliers was my old AMD T-Bird 1400

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and the multiplier isn't locked. I bought the low end of the spectrum because you can overclock the Athlon 64 line like made. These are perhaps the best processors I've seen for overclocking in my life.

The FX line overall is pretty over-priced. Next year hopefully people might start taking advantage of the dual-core processors and then I'll get one. Right now people are barely taking advantage of the 64-bit processor at all, and it's been out for years.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and the multiplier isn't locked.  I bought the low end of the spectrum because you can overclock the Athlon 64 line like made.  These are perhaps the best processors I've seen for overclocking in my life.

Are you sure about this? I don't mean to sound like a smarta**, but I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. We're not talking about overclocking by changing the bus speed here, that's the "standard" way of overclocking since it's a technique that works on all processors. I'm talking about upping the clock multiplier that gets multiplied to the bus clock to get the core clock, and my understanding was that on non-FX cores, this multiplier was half-locked in that you can only reduce the multiplicative factor, not increase it.

Edit: Did some googling and I found that there are some people who seem to have received Venice cores with fully unlocked multipliers. Sure doesn't seem to be the norm, though. Anyway, congratulations if you're one of them :ermm:

About the 7800 series:

From what I read in a respected german computer magazine the 7800 XT is not worth buying with todays processors because except from some high-end CPUs like the Athlon FX they are too slow in providing the GPU with data. They made some extensive tests and it seemed that the 7800 XT was usually waiting for the CPU to catch up. Tthat's why they had the same FPS with different "lower end" processors (>= 3 Ghz).

I'll wait for ATI's reaction. Their new GPU is supposed to have 32 pixel pipelines (nVidia 24) and support for the new unified shading model which will be introduced with Windows Vista.

Tthat's why they had the same FPS with different "lower end" processors (>= 3 Ghz).

That site got the correct results, but drew the wrong conslusion!!! If your FPS remains the same regardless of what processor you use, this means your system is completely *GPU* limited (technically, I should say graphics-card limited, since the biggest bottleneck in the latest 7800 cards seems to be not the GPU core itself, but its anaemic 256-bit interface to the onboard GDDR3)!

Any modern CPU (Intel 3.2, Athlon 3000+) should be powerful enough to fuel even a dual 7800GTX-SLI setup in most games. Firingsquad recently conducted a CPU scaling test on BetaField 2 and drew the same conclusion -- the game was primarily GPU limited, not CPU limited. Unless, of course, for some weird reason you play at ridiculously low settings like 1024x768 without AA/AF :rolleyes:, in which case obviously your GPU is going to sit and smoke a few cigars between every frame.