Really Friggin Pissed

EnderAndrew

So get this. I decide to build a nice, new rig with my tax returns a few months ago. I had a nasty HDD Crash and lost everything, and I wanted a whole new system.

It looks beautiful. It's quiet. It runs really cool. It has tons of pretty neon lights. The BIOS is the most feature-rich I've ever seen.

Too bad I've yet to use the new rig.

The second I built in, I didn't get any power to any of my drives. No power to the optical drives. No power to the IDE HDD. No power to the SATA drive.

I unplug all the fans, lights and unnecessary junk, like the LED temp display. I try to power just one hard drive and one optical drive. Nothing. This is with a nice 530W Aspire power supply.

So I assume the drives are either fried again, or the power supply is bad.

I get all the hard drives tested, and swapped out. I test the power supply which seems good, and RMA it.

I get another power supply. Nothing.

So I buy a brand new XION and the same problem.

If the drives aren't bad, and the power supply isn't bad, how come the drives can't get power.

A buddy of mine took my IDE HDD and plugged it in his system. My MP3's are still there, and it works just fine.

I don't forsee any way the motherboard can cause drives to not receive power, but I'm at my wits end. I'm about to RMA my Motherboard, cry and lose geek points. I have the worst luck with my desktops. And I paid money to fix and maintain computers for a living. I can fix any computer in the world except my own.

There were too many acronyms in there for me really to understand what's going on, but you do have my sympathies. :mellow: There's a chance that your power supply is possesssed by the souls of dead gerbils, though it's probably quite a small chance.

I would just take it to a shop to be repaired. Let someone else stress about it. Make sure they don't charge by the hour.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Atreides beat me to it.

It's a tough situation. I understand and sympathize with Ender's frustration, though; I also seem to be able to fix or lend a hand when it comes to others' computer problems but figuring out what is wrong with mine isn't so easy.

So many things could be wrong, that it'd take days just to get through them all.

Most of the time, its the simplest things we overlook.

My recommendation: Try replacing all of your wires...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

If the PSU is fine and the disks are fine, then it has to be the Mobo.

I have only these annoyances:

-Bought a G6800u the day beofore the 7800 was released and threw away the carton so I cant return it and get the newer card instead: AARGH!!

-Spend over 100

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I bet it's the dead gerbils.

Yeah, pretty much.

Edit: I feel your pain, but my lack of any knowledge on the matter prevents me from helping you out. Sorry, hope you can handle it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Have you checked the capacitors on the MOBO? They get overloaded sometimes, be it from lightning or bad wiring.

I had a friend who had similar problems and it was attributed as such by the guy she took it too.

Unfotunately, unless you have advanced experience with circuitboard repairs, if that's the problem you need to buy yourself a new MOBO. :wub:

The guy over on this page says it's definitely a possibility.

Have you checked the capacitors on the MOBO?  They get overloaded sometimes, be it from lightning or bad wiring. 

I had a friend who had similar problems and it was attributed as such by the guy she took it too. 

Unfotunately, unless you have advanced experience with circuitboard repairs, if that's the problem you need to buy yourself a new MOBO.  :wub:

The guy over on this page says it's definitely a possibility.

I've seen bad capacitors on other mobos cause problems. The mobo is only a few months old, and I'm assuming the manufacturer will swap it out. Honestly, I haven't even had a chance to use it!

I'm no techie, so I can't help much. Sorry. I only posted to say I feel your pain, and to mention that when my firend built his PC it turned out that the CPU was default set to too high (or something). It didn't work either, and was a mystery for a long while. CPU got cooked when he turned it on.

On a related note can anyone think of a reason why my DVD drive will read DVDs but not CDs any more? It may be dust in there, in which case is there any way to clean outa drive?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

One, check your wiring.

Two, check your mobo jumpers.

Three, call tech support :rolleyes:

I've rebuilt the PC with several different power supplies. I've rewired it a few times on top of that. I've tried even just powering one drive and still no luck.

I checked the mobo jumpers and manual pretty thoroughly.

FOXCONN doesn't have a tech support number, but I emailed them, and didn't receive a reply.

It's the Russians.

And thanks for the advice on the cleaning kit.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Foxconn emailed me back.

They told me to swap out the power supply, CPU, video card and memory. Then test to see if I get video and check for beeps.

I get video now. I don't currently get any POST beeps. Why swap out parts that are working just fine?

I don't think they read my initial email.

If the PSU is fine and the disks are fine, then it has to be the Mobo.

I have only these annoyances:

-Bought a G6800u the day beofore the 7800 was released and threw away the carton so I cant return it and get the newer card instead: AARGH!!

-Spend over 100

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Foxconn emailed me back.

They told me to swap out the power supply, CPU, video card and memory.  Then test to see if I get video and check for beeps.

I get video now.  I don't currently get any POST beeps.  Why swap out parts that are working just fine?

I don't think they read my initial email.

I had a similar "procedural" problem with my ISP the other day.

[*] Cable modem intermittently failing.

[*] Call service desk: half hour of trouble shooting (i.e. does the "ready" light come on the modem? "No", Oh, then I'll arrange for a technician to drop by. :blink:)

[*] ISP has wrongly recorded my postcode. Postcode must be correct before a site service call can be booked. Go back and call again (because they cannot put me through ;)).

[*] Fix postcode. Customer Support cannot order site visit without a mandatory charge of

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT