"Post Mortem: KotOR2" at Game Developer Mag

http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/gamedeveloper/sample/

Jedi Mind Tricks: Choice and Consequence in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

By Kevin Saunders

Obsidian Entertainment, which commandeered the second Knights Of The Old Republic title, rooted the game's storyline in the effects of player choice. Using an "influence system," auto-balancing, and other elements, the developers battled harsh deadlines to extend the first game into a new iteration, rather than merely regurgitating the original.

It's an excellent and balanced article, acknowledging strengths, weakness and mixed results - fascinating for those of us who have played through a few times and raised many of the same issues on these boards.

I thought the game contained more memorable moments than most - I hadn't realised that this had been consciously incorporated into the design.

The remarks on cut scenes are interesting. It would be interesting to know how much of the cut content on the disc was removed due to the problems involving movement, and whether the Restoration Project is coming up against the same issue in trying to restore these scenes.

Lack of polish time? Really? We hadn't noticed. :ermm: More seriously, the fact that they've identified some of the flaws, particularly with the influence system and need to be realistic about quantity of content, bodes very well for NWN2.

Does anyone who visits the Bioware boards know if Obsidian are going to have another go at improving AI for NWN2?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Interesting part about the random item generator and why they did it. I'm still not a big fan of the system, but after reading the article I can understand the idea behind implementing it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It's also good they acknowledge that some of the NPC's had too few influence opportunities. I felt that Bao-Dur especially is a pain in the butt to influence (in 4 play throughs I've still never gotten his full story) because there just aren't many opportunities for him, and if you screw up even one time it's likely near impossible to get full influence with him.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It's also good they acknowledge that some of the NPC's had too few influence opportunities.  I felt that Bao-Dur especially is a pain in the butt to influence (in 4 play throughs I've still never gotten his full story) because there just aren't many opportunities for him, and if you screw up even one time it's likely near impossible to get full influence with him.

Yeah, I think that's a perfect example of trying to be too clever by half.

Sure, make some parts more difficult and only for the seasoned player (including remote narrative parts), but I think there were too few influence options, too.

Perhaps a better solution would be to have more opportunities to influence and more plot exposed, not just back story but side quests (

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That's one thing I do miss from K1, the NPC specific sidequests.

Me too, I actually thought they were pretty awesome, since they let you get away from the main story without having to play Pazaak or swoop race :shifty:.

They also let you know more about your NPC's backstory and such, so you actually feel like you know the people you are travelling with.

Learn from you mistakes, young padawan. Do not be too ambitious. Ambition leads to greed, blablabla, ... leads to the darkside.

Well, I can understand them a bit. They wanted to make a game for the Kotor fans that was bigger, more challenging and with a better story. They failed in all 3 in my opinion, but (maybe) only because of the amount of time they got to make the game. They realised too late that it was too much to do in such a short amount of time. Still, they made mistakes. And now hope they don't fall to the Darkside again. (that's possible, isn't it?)

Learn from you mistakes, young padawan. Do not be too ambitious. Ambition leads to greed, blablabla, ... leads to the darkside.

Well, I can understand them a bit. They wanted too make a game for the Kotor fans that was bigger, more challenging and with a better story. They failed in all 3 in my opinion, but (maybe) only because of the amount of time they got to make the game. They realised too late that it was too much to do in such a short amount of time. Still, they made mistakes. And now hope they don't fall to the Darkside again. (that's possible, isn't it?)

It is in the revolving door of Force-Sensitivity that is the SW universe ... :huh:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Guest MacleodCorp

So, will there be a patch release to fix some of these issues, or are we stuck with a student's homework, which the student has settled for their current grade?

They called their sucesses failures, and then they stated that they were also satisfied with the outcome. Therefore, we all paid the price for their failures, and they are doing nothing to fix the game issues.

So, will there be a patch release to fix some of these issues, or are we stuck with a student's homework, which the student settled for their current grade?

They called their sucesses failures, and then they stated that they were also satisfied with the outcome. Therefore, we all paid the price for their failures, and they are doing nothing to fix the game issues.

Do you have to whine in EVERY post you make? This was a good article. Obsidian ADMITTED some errors in judgement and acknowledged where they screwed up. Yet you still have to post the same whining diatribe.

And btw, stop speaking for everyone. I enjoyed my experience. So while I'll use the word *I* since I can only speak for myself, please don't say *we* when posting your feelings on the game. Thank you. :huh:

Guest MacleodCorp
So, will there be a patch release to fix some of these issues, or are we stuck with a student's homework, which the student settled for their current grade?

Do you have to whine in EVERY post you make? This was a good article. Obsidian ADMITTED some errors in judgement and acknowledged where they screwed up. Yet you still have to post the same whining diatribe.

And btw, stop speaking for everyone. I enjoyed my experience. So while I'll use the word *I* since I can only speak for myself, please don't say *we* when posting your feelings on the game. Thank you. :huh:

Lol... Since I paid $100 dollars for this game, yes I will voice my opinon. Have a nice day!!!!

Lol... Since I paid $100 dollars for this game, yes I will voice my opinon. Have a nice day!!!!

Then speak for yourself. What part of "don't use *we*" don't you get?

State clearly that "I, DarthMacLeod, feel...." rather than speaking for every other person and saying that Obsidian somehow wronged us, as if you know what we are thinking.

go to page on the top, go to page 30 - 31 and you'll see a Jedi. A jedi who looks like christians/catholics stereotypical jesus

Well, yes, that is one of the appearances for the Exile on offer in the game, though it's not the one that usually appears on the advertising. :huh:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Guest MacleodCorp

Then speak for yourself. What part of "don't use *we*" don't you get?

State clearly that "I, DarthMacLeod, feel...." rather than speaking for every other person and saying that Obsidian somehow wronged us, as if you know what we are thinking.

I apologize for being negative and using the word 'we'. I will reframe from making my opinion from looking like the masses. Thank you ObsidianEnt for making a great game, and I look forward to any furutre game, which you release.

Why pay 100 dollars on a game you trash on the internet? Shouldn't you have returned it by now?

That would have been the intelligent thing to do. But apparently he chose instead to keep the game and complain about it with snide comments for 9 months.

Come on, you expect too much logic from some of these people. Why return a game and get their money back when they can spend month after month complaining about a game?