G-Phoria: KotOR II - Did they earn it?

Guest MacleodCorp

I have the XBOX version. :huh: And I think KOTOR II deserved some awards. Granted it has flaws... more than we'd all like for it to have, but I tell you, I never thought an RPG would have such an immersive story and replay value. I'm on my 6th time thru (currently on the Ravenger, so I'll be done with the game in about 1 1/2 hours... then I'll start on my 7th time thru (w00t) . You can't deny it rides the coat tails of KOTOR I... but there were some things added that improved on KOTOR's gameplay and introduced training your companions as Jedi. (Although I like that as much as the fact that the footlockers, metal boxes, etc. now say EMPTY after you've looted them. Its the simple things, but man, its helpful.) The frame rate problems cut into the action too much. The item randomizer is rediculous. But overall, it does bring a whole new chapter to the Star Wars KOTOR series that is quite addicting, despite its flaws. I agree that Jade Empire was "good"... but it didn't grab my attention like the KOTOR series. I was bored with it after the second "chapter", level, whatever. I didn't even beat the game. Don't really care to. But KOTOR II... I'm just an hour or two away from finishing my 6th time, and I'm going to play thru it again.

Good job Obsidian... but if you guys are indeed on board for KOTOR III, listen to the people on these boards to make the 3rd installment the one to blow us away! :cool:

Man it seems that a lot of you are rather ravenous in your absolute hatred in KOTOR2. Why do some of you feel the need to attack anyone that defends it? It's a matter of opinion and quite frankly it's a little sad that some of you have to make excuses for KOTOR2 winning rpg of the year like following in the wake of KOTOR1 or because it uses an established license. Why remain on KOTOR2 boards if all you are going to is attack anyone that says "This game is awesome?"

The nature of this thread was to debate whether KOTOR2 deserved the win compared to the other nominees. Not a KOTOR1 vs. KOTOR2 thread. When you say it doesn't deserve to win don't just rag on the glitches and plot-holes, but instead focus on what the other game did right to win your vote.

Man it seems that a lot of you are rather ravenous in your absolute hatred in KOTOR2. Why do some of you feel the need to attack anyone that defends it? It's a matter of opinion and quite frankly it's a little sad that some of you have to make excuses for KOTOR2 winning rpg of the year like following in the wake of KOTOR1 or because it uses an established license. Why remain on KOTOR2 boards if all you are going to is attack anyone that says "This game is awesome?"

The nature of this thread was to debate whether KOTOR2 deserved the win compared to the other nominees. Not a KOTOR1 vs. KOTOR2 thread. When you say it doesn't deserve to win don't just rag on the glitches and plot-holes, but instead focus on what the other game did right to win your vote.

So do you think that KoTOR 2 deserved to win?

Really? I always considered the forum going population to be a pretty good consensus of the rest of the buyers out there.

Nah, that's a predujice if anything. The masses are a reality.

Face it; we're a minority. I'm a minority. With Baley that is.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Did KOTOR II earn RPG of the year?

The short answer: No.

Longer Answer:

Any game that's advertised as complete and sold incomplete is the trademark of sloppy work. Gamers, not developers, are having to clean up the mess...for free. That's not the sign of terrific effort on behalf of the developers but, rather, carelessness. It's a rushed game pushed out as fast as it could be to milk the KOTOR brand name for every dollar that could be made.

So, no, KOTOR II did not earn the title. It simply lucked out due to lack of competition and the timing of the awards.

then I'll start on my 7th time thru

Dont get out much do you?

Seven times isn't as much as I've heard others have played thru it... and I get out quite a bit, actually. I don't sit there and play 24/7... sometimes I rarely get to play at all some weeks. If I had more time to play, then I'd probably agree with Master_Vrook... it wouldn't take as long to finish a time thru the game. I know pretty much everything there is to know, where to get it, how to do most things, etc., etc. And like Vrook said, I try to do things to spice it up a bit... make it more challenging. Like, on my next time thru, I want to use armor only, no Jedi robes or the "Jedi" armor. That'll definitely challenge me because I'll have to rely more on my melee skills than Force powers (since a lot of good ones like Master Speed or Force Storm are restricted by armor). The only Force power I rely heavily on is Master Speed, so it'll take a little getting used to.

But, I tell you... I've never played thru a role-playing game and thought, "I'd like to do that again..." until KOTOR I. (Then I did go thru Fable twice, but it got old during the 2nd time thru) Then KOTOR II... only 2 RPGs I've played more than twice. No Final Fantasy, no Tales of Symphonia, no Phantom Star whatever-it-is, and certainly not Morrowind (I couldn't take 5 minutes of that game... took it right back to Blockbuster, said it was defective, and got to get another game :p )... or any of those others (including Jade Empire). So that's got to say something for the game. Even though it has faults, people still play it, multiple times over... and eagerly await word of KOTOR III. Smells like success to me. ;)

The game was a good canidate for best RPG of the year. It wasn't the best RPG of all time, but there wasn't much competition this year either.

If the game were properly finished, I don't think there would even be a debate. Can someone please tell me what other RPG really deserved to win?

Yeah I think KOTOR2 deserved to win. I play Jade Empire and Tales of Symphonia, other nominees, and in my opinion TSL was the better game.

Jade Empire's real time combat was kind of bland and there was really no incentive to learn other martial styles. It was short, which isn't usually a big deal for me but 14 hours is the shortest RPG I have played since SNES days.

I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia a lot, but I thought the sound was really lacking from Voice Overs to music to sound effects. It had a great combat system that never seemed to get old. But, the problem with Tales was the cookie cutter story that seemed like a clone of Final Fantasy X's story.

I think KOTOR2 deserved to win for various reasons, some of them are biased :thumbsup:. I like Star Wars so KOTOR2 already had the advantage. I enjoyed the more mature story of KOTOR2 compared to the other rpgs I played. The combat is nothing really new, but is still very solid. Kudos to bioware for coming up with an incredible turn-based combat system that isn't boring. I was disappointed in the styles because I was hoping for different animations for different styles. I enjoyed most of the characters more from KOTOR2. All the characters in KOTOR2 seemed much more complex than Jade Empire's characters. Both KOTOR2 and JE's characters were all to reliant on "Oh something in my past is bothering me I must join the PC to solve my past" card a little to much though. JE's characters seemed cliched to me while Tales of Symphonia's character were teens and acted like toodlers half the time and like 24 year olds the other half. It was confusing to get a real beat on the characters in that game. The endings on all 3 of the games sucked so no need to go there.

Most importantly I had more fun playing KOTOR2 than the others.

Ya, but K2 is far short of a "great game"

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

then I'll start on my 7th time thru

Dont get out much do you?

Seven times isn't as much as I've heard others have played thru it... and I get out quite a bit, actually. I don't sit there and play 24/7... sometimes I rarely get to play at all some weeks. If I had more time to play, then I'd probably agree with Master_Vrook... it wouldn't take as long to finish a time thru the game. I know pretty much everything there is to know, where to get it, how to do most things, etc., etc. And like Vrook said, I try to do things to spice it up a bit... make it more challenging. Like, on my next time thru, I want to use armor only, no Jedi robes or the "Jedi" armor. That'll definitely challenge me because I'll have to rely more on my melee skills than Force powers (since a lot of good ones like Master Speed or Force Storm are restricted by armor). The only Force power I rely heavily on is Master Speed, so it'll take a little getting used to.

But, I tell you... I've never played thru a role-playing game and thought, "I'd like to do that again..." until KOTOR I. (Then I did go thru Fable twice, but it got old during the 2nd time thru) Then KOTOR II... only 2 RPGs I've played more than twice. No Final Fantasy, no Tales of Symphonia, no Phantom Star whatever-it-is, and certainly not Morrowind (I couldn't take 5 minutes of that game... took it right back to Blockbuster, said it was defective, and got to get another game :thumbsup: )... or any of those others (including Jade Empire). So that's got to say something for the game. Even though it has faults, people still play it, multiple times over... and eagerly await word of KOTOR III. Smells like success to me. :lol:

Believe it or not; I've played the game more than 20 times.