Diablo III on the rocks

Guest Fishboot

I hope someone well-versed in Blizzard North gossip can step in and give us a rundown. I've heard that Blizzard has been suffering from a wholesale talent exodus over VUG corporate interference (both from guys like Bill Roper forming their own dev houses and from people being headhunted by other publishers).

Hrm. I never liked Diablo 2 as much as Diablo 1. What annoyed me most about 2 was the fact that you couldn't go into the Church in Tristram That sucked.

I hope they don't go an just make the game more complex. What I liked about Diablo is that I could just walk around and click on sprites for a few mindless hours. Having to put thought into what I did in Diablo II sort of ruined the game for me. Nevertheless, I'll probably still buy it, but I doubt anything will ever match the sheer brainless fun of Diablo.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Guild Wars was started by some of the original Blizzard crew who left the shop.

Blizzard North's lead guys (I don't recall their names) left and formed Flagship Studios, and have been working on Hellgate: London. And yes, a bunch of others formed ArenaNet and gave us Guild Wars. A few months back, Blizzard had picked up the few remaining employees at North and relocated them somewhere else. These guys are believed to have been working on Diablo III. A couple of days back, Blizzard North was officially closed down.

I'm going to agree with darque. I was a fan of Diablo but 2 just became a Lootfest later on.

Didn't two of the guy's that helped form Blizzard and make Starcraft and Diablo end up going away and making Goblin Commander?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Fourthed. SC 2 to rule them all.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest MacleodCorp

Dablo I was really cool. Dialbo II was way too long. By the time you finish the game, a whole year goes by. Thank god I didn't play the game straight through.

If they make a Diablo III, I hope it is complex, and have some interactive storytelling like KotOR I.

Ineractive storytelling in DS 2? Where?

Come to think of it, what is that? Freedom of choice during the plot?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Guest MacleodCorp

Yeah! When you play Diablo I and II, you don't have a choice but to go through all the dialogue.

Dungeon Siege 2!?!?! What is that?

*points DarthMacLeod towards Dungeon Siege 2*

:("

Are you saying that Dungeon Siege 2's story is on a par with Kotor 1's?

Because I'll hold you to that. :p

I've never played the Diablos or wanted to, as the consensus seems to be that the story is somewhat lacking. If they want to attract me, they'd have to change it radically, but since it was apparently very successful before, why would they change a winning formula?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

'cos the standards are nowadays higher?

kirottu said:

Well, it's not exactly my sentiments; I just wanted to point out that option.

kirottu said:

Well, it's not exactly my sentiments; I just wanted to point out that option.

You could well be right - if they've improved Dungeon Siege as much as Battlewookie is saying, that suggests you are, as indeed does the fact that Diablo III has been pulled due to lack of quality. Interesting to see that Stargate: Alliance was pulled from its developer for the same reason. Is this a new trend in games publishing - from now on, games are going to be released that are good quality, QA tested, and finished?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

"Is this a new trend in games publishing - from now on, games are going to be released that are good quality, QA tested, and finished?"

If you've never prayed; now would be a good time starting it.

kirottu said:

*points DarthMacLeod towards Dungeon Siege 2*

:("

Are you saying that Dungeon Siege 2's story is on a par with Kotor 1's?

Because I'll hold you to that. :-

I've never played the Diablos or wanted to, as the consensus seems to be that the story is somewhat lacking. If they want to attract me, they'd have to change it radically, but since it was apparently very successful before, why would they change a winning formula?

Yeah, but the story's not the point. The story in Civilization or Zelda isn't very developed either. It's not like Diablo is an RPG, after all, so a detailed story isn't really necessary. Diablo doesn't require any more story than "The world is doomed unless you kill all the baddies." A story in Diablo would be fluff, not substance.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!