What skills help when game programming

ok I love to program and have always wanted to be a game programmer I've been gaming ever since I was about 10 and haven't looked back. I'm just wondering what skills are helpful for those who haven't had any experience out in the real world programming but I've been doing as a hobby for 4 years now and went to college for it I work right now as a PC tech for a multi-national company and am excellent at leaning new concepts without and instructions just by analyzing others code. I've also listed the languages I know in a different thread here so I guess I'm just wondering if you train people that have entry level experience

ok I love to program and have always wanted to be a game programmer I've been gaming ever since I was about 10 and haven't looked back. I'm just wondering what skills are helpful for those who haven't had any experiance out in the real world programming but I've been doing as a hobbie for 4 years now and went to college for it I work right now as a PC tech for a multi national company and am exelant at leaning new concepst without and instructions just by analizing others code. I've also listed the languages I know in a different thread here so I guess I'm just wondering if you train people that have entry level experiance

exelant at leaning new concepst

Shame you are not excellent at spelling :ermm:"

If you're talking about programming, then working with specific APIs like DirectX, OpenGL and the like would probably be a good place to start.

I recommend that too (for a graphics/gamer person) because I'm at Uni and it really is "Computer Science", like studying algorithms and stuff - I wasn't expecting them to but still would've been nice.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

If you're talking about programming, then working with specific APIs like DirectX, OpenGL and the like would probably be a good place to start.

I recommend that too (for a graphics/gamer person) because I'm at Uni and it really is "Computer Science", like studying algorithms and stuff - I wasn't expecting them to but still would've been nice.

i'd probably make people fell stupid if I took a cs degree since I've already have a CIS degree besides I can learn that stuff on my own

What skills? Well imagination for a start.

Like imagination when...you know...making up names.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

T'is a good start. Then going for some experience would really help.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

So the skills you need to work on so far :

Spelling

Imagination

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Albert Einstein

The ability to learn new things by analysis is a brilliant skill; that alone sets you on the right path.

Spelling, although not an obvious skill, is essential: good communication skills have been streesed many times for all types of jobs; there is no point being the best widget-maker if you can't tell anyone else about it, or worse, you can't take instruction.

There area already a couple of topics on this page (one is stickied

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

And not being an ass if you're being picked on early. :wink:

kirottu said:

So the skills you need to work on so far :

Spelling

Imagination

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Albert Einstein

The ability to learn new things by analysis is a brilliant skill; that alone sets you on the right path.

Spelling, although not an obvious skill, is essential: good communication skills have been streesed many times for all types of jobs; there is no point being the best widget-maker if you can't tell anyone else about it, or worse, you can't take instruction.

There area already a couple of topics on this page (one is stickied

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Internships available at Irrational Games

I've just received an email from Chris Kline, the Lead Programmer for Irrational Games over in Boston. They have programming internships on offer for Bioshock! If you're interested - read on!

Irrational Games, creators of critically acclaimed games such as System Shock 2, Freedom Force, Tribes:Vengeance, and SWAT 4, is currently seeking programming interns for their upcoming title "Bioshock".

Interns will be responsible for supporting the programming team on a wide variety of development tasks. These tasks might include any of the following:

• Bugfixing
  • Game system feature implementation
  • AI support
  • User interface implementation
  • Tools development for Design, Art, and Quality Assurance
  • Visual effects development (implementation of HLSL shaders, particle systems, frame buffer effects, etc.)
  • Core game engine functionality
  • Did I mention bugfixing?

Candidates should exhibit the following:

• A love of games:
    Creative passion is important in all aspects of game development. We need interns who love computer games, play them regularly, and can talk about them intelligently.
  • Willingness to undertake any task required:
    This is a perfect opportunity for an ambitious and skilled programmer to gain experience in the game development process, but interns will not be able to pick and choose their own tasks. We're looking for someone who is eager and excited to undertake any task necessary to bring the game to fruition.
  • Service-oriented personality: Code is not an end in itself! Game development is a team effort, and the programming team works in support of the design and art teams. Candidates should think of the other teams and their fellow programmers as clients, and strive to achieve the needs of the team.
  • Excellent communication skills: Good communication is vital to building great games. Interns will need to be able to work effectively with other team members to gather requirements, write planning and technical documents, and respond to feedback in a prompt and professional manner.
    Technical chops: Our interns will need a strong and demonstrable understanding of C++ and software engineering principles, and the ability to come up to speed rapidly on a massive codebase.
  • Directable creativity:
    The intern should be comfortable taking direction from a staff engineer, but able to work creatively and independently. We'll throw you off the dock; you should be able to swim.

Desired related skills include:

• Experience in the games industry
  • Experience in computer animation
  • Experience in reactive artificial intelligence
  • A strong foundation in the principles of 3D computer graphics; experience with DirectX 9 and HLSL
  • Experience working with the Unreal Engine is a strong plus.

Positions will be unpaid -- in return for your efforts we will provide you with a T pass, experience working at one of the most respected companies in the industry, and your name in the credits of any titles you work on. If this sounds like something you are interested in, please email a resume, cover letter, references, and sample code with a description of its context and purpose to the address below.

The position will be Quincy, MA (just outside of Boston, accessible via the subway).

Christopher Kline

Lead Programmer

Irrational Games, LLC (Boston)

ckline ATnoSPAM irrationalstudios.com

If you're not up for an internship, you could always apply for the job of Rendering/Engine Programmer for an undisclosed title!

http://www.sshock2.com/

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

And that's an offer you shouldn't miss. In all seriousness.

kirottu said: